Massdrop Dan Durston X Mid 1P Tent

sneaky

"DADDY"
It's not shipping until next April. I'm sure you'll get another crack at it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Hi alyuaz,

We have ordered quite a few more X-Mids than were pre-ordered, so there will be tents available around when they arrive in the spring. I'm not quite sure if Massdrop is going to start selling those when they arrive around March-April or if it will be a little sooner, but there will definitely be some available. If you're interested, your best bet it to click the "request" button on the X-Mid page and then you'll get an email notification when they are going on sale.

Thanks for the interest. I think it's a super tent and I'm excited to see folks trying it out. So light, simple and functional.

uBOVlRLMQ3CICGCYwbw4_X-Mid - 30 copy.jpg

W5Ku9LxQTub6Krlnu1QW_final-01.png.jpg

The video explains it pretty well:
[video]https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=U9vOLs12KQE[/video]

Last edited:
I can't help you with the November Elk hunt, but the tents are on track to ready a bit early. They're likely to ship out mid-April.

Being separated from your hard earned money that long isn't ideal, but it's also part of why the price is so great. If another company was fronting all the money to do the production run they'd be expecting a return on that investment and would have a far larger mark up. At a normal retail markup these tents would be $300 - $350.

CarlTuesday

Lil-Rokslider
So what do folks using trekking pole shelters do when you leave camp for the day (but camp is staying put) and you want to bring the poles?

Let's complicate things and assume it's raining, since that seems to be my normal.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

So what do folks using trekking pole shelters do when you leave camp for the day (but camp is staying put) and you want to bring the poles?

Let's complicate things and assume it's raining, since that seems to be my normal.

I’ve done this many times. Just take your tracking poles out and lay the mid down on top of everything that’s in there. Make sure there is no way that rain can get down inside the top vent, pin it down with a rock or something if you need to, and you’re good to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can also use the peak guylines to tie off the peaks to trees if possible. It's harder to get a nice pitch like this, but it works to keep the shelter somewhat pitched.

Or what AKTB said - just lay it down and have a bit of stuff positioned so that the rain is going to run off instead of pooling a lot.

A final option is not to use your trekking pole, but just bring dedicated poles for the shelter. Companies like Ruta Locura and maybe other sell collapsable straight poles you can use in place of trekking poles.

JDZ

WKR

Really interested in this tent, but that's always been my hangup on trekking pole tents, especially those that use two.

Let's complicate it even more and say the wind is about 35 mph. Pretty sure the rock on top of the collapsed tent will not have good results. Dan's suggestion of dedicated poles is good, but will negate most of the weight savings. However, I do find myself leaving my poles in camp more often, especially on archery hunts.

Let's complicate it even more and say the wind is about 35 mph. Pretty sure the rock on top of the collapsed tent will not have good results. Dan's suggestion of dedicated poles is good, but will negate most of the weight savings. However, I do find myself leaving my poles in camp more often, especially on archery hunts.

When you have the poles removed the tent looks like this:
Screen Shot 2018-09-19 at 10.20.03 PM.jpg

If you were worried about high winds when you're gone, what you could do is grab the peaks, pull them out to one side and then stake them down to the ground (via the peak guylines). That would nail everything to the ground, and rain should run off the collapsed tent since you'd presumably have some stuff in there forming a pile. When you do this, you can pull the peaks out to the side that has the vent openings on the underside (plus these velcro shut) so rain shouldn't be getting in and should be able to ride out even a wild storm.

Let's complicate it even more and say the wind is about 35 mph. Pretty sure the rock on top of the collapsed tent will not have good results.

I’ve done it on more than a few occasions and the results have been just fine. Oh, and 35 mph winds on Kodiak in Oct. and Nov. aren’t even really considered windy conditions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gonzok

FNG
My personal solution to this is to leave one trekking pole in place and use a stick to support the one pole I use on day hikes. I always have my silky saw so I can cut one to size. I like to use little nubs on the branch to hang random items on also.

Cheesehead

Lil-Rokslider
I joined as well. I don’t normally comment much but will say I was really impressed by Dan’s comments to criticism on Reddit, massdrop, etc. felt like I was hearing from one of my smart buddies who had put a lot of thought into something. Hoping this tent works out.

jm1607

WKR
Did you receive yours yet? Last week nine showed it was supposed to deliver on Monday. I still don’t have it. It says FedEx transferred it to USPS and it’s still in another state.

That happened to me to. Showed up a day later than it said it would (yesterday).

Haven't had a chance to play with it yet though...

HeadnWest

WKR
Could someone eventually post a write up in the Shelter section once you have time to test it out a bit? I sold my Tarptent Stratispire to help fund a SO Redcliff, but this shelter for the price looks like a good one to buy in case I am out on a solo hunt. Thanks.