Menards Gun Safe?

hi2u

FNG
Anyone own a sports afield

I'm having a hard time buying a safe. I dont know the use of this big of a gun safe, but then again I like the idea of being able to store documents in a fireproof safe and having the couple guns I own out of reach of kids.

Sorry I threw in a couple thoughts ontop of the find.

Access Denied

OP
H

hi2u

FNG
Just noticed Tractor Supply has a Fortress fireproof 24 gun safe as well for 299.

Fatcamp

WKR
I think anything is better than nothing.

You can Google how to break into a safe to get an idea of what you are buying. Security is about layers. Even a thin layer is better than none.

OP
H

hi2u

FNG
Think I'm going to purchase the menards one. I think this an awesome sale...

They have a lifetime warranty on flooding, burgulars, locks.. for 275 I dont think I can go wrong

Fatcamp

WKR
You mean the Home Depot one?

Looks like a great deal for $275. For sure will keep kids out.

No matter what bolt it down. They are easy to steal if you don't.

ETA: Your link takes me to a Home Depot safe for $529.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
You mean the Home Depot one?

Looks like a great deal for $275. For sure will keep kids out.

No matter what bolt it down. They are easy to steal if you don't.

ETA: Your link takes me to a Home Depot safe for $529.
Also takes me to home Depot maybe that's the default when Menards isn't close to your location

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

I think anything is better than nothing.

You can Google how to break into a safe to get an idea of what you are buying. Security is about layers. Even a thin layer is better than none.

Exactly. Most of your everyday burglars are wanting to get in and get out as soon as possible. Most burglars are in the house and gone in less than 10 minutes. They usually don't waste the time attacking a safe. They grab guns left in drawers, money, jewelry, laptops, and items they can stuff into pillow cases and are gone. ANY safe is better than no safe. Fire protection is very important, so pay a few bucks more for a fire resistant safe.

jmez

WKR
Watch some YouTube videos on gun safes. You can get into the expensive ones in under a minute.

Fatcamp

WKR
The tin ones open right up with a fire axe.

The thicker the steel gets the harder it is to get into. Eventually you get to the point where prybars won't work, and a quickie saw with a steel blade is needed. That also involves heat which leads to the question of whether or not a can of black powder is taped to the inside of the accessible panel.
[video=youtube_share;RXVfVUW2ZkI]https://youtu.be/RXVfVUW2ZkI[/video]
[video=youtube_share;4oOqDHedivQ]https://youtu.be/4oOqDHedivQ[/video]

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you have a guy at your safe with a fire axe you have more worries than if the safe will open. Fire protection is about all you get with a safe until you spend a bunch.

I agree realunlucky. As stated in my response above (#8), most burglars don't want to spend that much time in the house. I was a New Orleans Police Officer for 30 years, 15 of which was spent on patrol, and 15 on Tactical/SWAT. The 15 years on patrol, I handled untold number of residence burglaries, none of which ever included an attack to a safe (gunsafe or otherwise). Most burglars carry a screwdriver and a pair of vice grips or channel locks and don't wish to encounter the occupants, so they get in and out as fast as possible. Banging on a safe with an axe or sledgehammer will probably attract the neighbors attention. I would be more concerned with fire, and hope the fire dept can make it to the house in time. Now I live where we have a volunteer fire dept, so I bought a safe with extra fire protection.

Last edited:

Fatcamp

WKR
My point of posting the videos was that spending a little more money gets you into a product that cannot be easily opened. I fully support your decision to protect your valuables as you see fit.