Opinions on Sunglasses

NV HUNTER

WKR
I always end up just throwing them in the lid of my pack. Its too dark or I am looking through optics. Usually hike in when it's dark and out when it's dark. Antelope hunting yes! And a cooler of beer!

OP
HankBC

HankBC

Lil-Rokslider
Ended up with a set of flak jackets in the Prizm shallow water lenses. They stay on my face well and seem to be durable. Pretty crazy what the lenses allow you too see in the water. Should be great trying to avoid a lot of rocks in the jet boat!

Thanks for your replies gents, rokslide helped out again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KHNC

WKR
Check out Skeleton Optics. Zeiss lens, veteran owned company with many options on styles as well. I like the scouts the best. Gray or amber lens works great for fishing or in general. KHSKELETON10 gets a 10% discount as well if you like them.

Skeleton Optics

bat-cave

WKR
I don't use sunglasses when I hunt, to avoid the reflection off the lenses. I have the Oakley Prizm lenses in my Flak Jackets and they are excellent for fly fishing. I also just picked up a pair of Revant replacement lenses with my prescription in them to give that a go and so far so good and uite a bit less expensive than Oakley replacement lenses.

WoolyBugger

Lil-Rokslider
Oakley polarized flak 2.0's. I have had a few costas before but these fit my face better. Thinking about getting some pit vipers though. I really want to put my face between a pair

OP
HankBC

HankBC

Lil-Rokslider
Oakley polarized flak 2.0's. I have had a few costas before but these fit my face better. Thinking about getting some pit vipers though. I really want to put my face between a pair

Flaks for me too, they stay on my head pretty well and i think they’re more comfortable. Pit Vipers make you look pretty wild I can tell you that, I got a pair of my buddy’s sitting in my truck. Wouldn’t take those out hunting, definitely made for fitting in with a ‘flat brimmed’ crowd.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Flak Jackets here as well. I bought mine and added several lenses. I typically use the brownish lens when hunting. Never really thought to hard about reflecting and animals seeing it.. I imagine with the mirrored lenses that might be an issue. Going to have to double check the lens I use and see if that is an issue...

dmoto

Lil-Rokslider
Costa Del Mar in 580G not P. "G" as in the glass lens. Clarity and scratch resistance are second to none. Yes, Maui Jim and Oakley make great glasses, I've had my fair share of both brands. However, after finding some great sales on Costas (Backcountry and Steepandcheap.com), I can't say that I'd buy another brand for my fishing/hunting glasses. Blue 580G are the lenses that I wear.

Loebs

Lil-Rokslider
I made a mistake, my old prescription glasses were Maui Jims. My current glasses are Costas with the 580p lenses. I wanted the glass lenses, but they would have been too heavy and thick to work. I have a really bad astigmatism in my left eye. And yes, the Costas are much nicer optically.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

How many of you shoot a bow with sunglasses?

The nose bridge on every pair i have gets in my line of sight.

Lawnboi

WKR
I'm very happy with my Wiley x brick glasses. I got prescription lenses, in the bronze polarized color.

Really like the gasket for dusty and windy conditions.

I shoot bow with my glasses but can't in sunglasses. I shoot rifle fine with sunglasses though.

boom

WKR
i have a giant head. there is no way i could recommend a great fitting pair of glasses for the masses. :)

having said that, i am wearing Natives. pretty inexpensive and they seem darker than most sunglasses.

mvmnts

WKR
I wear Julbos with the Camel lenses, which are photochromic. Although I want to say maybe the camels are a touch too dark for hunting. They make a lighter lens, but the name of it escapes me atm.

WoolyBugger

Lil-Rokslider
Flaks for me too, they stay on my head pretty well and i think they’re more comfortable. Pit Vipers make you look pretty wild I can tell you that, I got a pair of my buddy’s sitting in my truck. Wouldn’t take those out hunting, definitely made for fitting in with a ‘flat brimmed’ crowd.

Saw Eric Chesser from HUSH was wearing some the other day, can't say I have interest in getting a pair of pit vipers anymore..

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
If your ears are inside the hat does the sunglasses go on the outside of the hat?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Smith or Maui Jim GLASS lenses.
I have had Oakleys and they are fine for action sports, but for serious fishing or everyday, glass is where it's at!
Light photochromic amber for early or late fishing, a darker copper for everyday.

katdaddy2013

Lil-Rokslider
My costas that I use for fishing have mirror lens. I think that would cause light reflection. I believe BRTreedogs has the right idea. Or just get tinted shooting glasses.
I just use tinted safety glasses.
Get them most places for like $3 each.

Edge eyeware.
Lots of lense and frame options and cheap enough to buy by the dozen.
Surprisingly good optical quality. Not much difference between them and Oakley to my eyes and I’m fairly particular about optics.
ANSI rated

I personally shot tested them and they withstood #4 shot at 25 yards.
Several unplanned drop tests from 2’-60’ with no problems.