Garmin InReach Mini or Explorer?

Ajstro

FNG
Trying to finish up some last minute gear purchases, and I'm deciding between the mini and explorer? Currently, I use my phone as my primary navigation source with OnX. Primarily, I want it for communication, but I'm wondering if the 3 extra ounces and $100 is worth the map features offered by the explorer? Is it overkill to have both my phone, and the explorer? Thanks for the help.

Trying to finish up some last minute gear purchases, and I'm deciding between the mini and explorer? Currently, I use my phone as my primary navigation source with OnX. Primarily, I want it for communication, but I'm wondering if the 3 extra ounces and $100 is worth the map features offered by the explorer? Is it overkill to have both my phone, and the explorer? Thanks for the help.

3 oz for redundancy isn’t to bad in my opinion.

SoDaky

WKR
And near double battery life.I went Explorer,wife went mini.If hers works out better,will steal hers.

Trial153

WKR
I am sticking with the full size unit. With the extra charging capacity I will need for the mini the weight is a wash

I sent and received over 400 messages on an 11 day Stone sheep trip with my buddy two weeks ago. I used 49% of the battery on my Garmin InReach SE (yellow full size one). I'd be happy with a mini and no battery backup for it for 10 or less days the way I use it, as it supposedly has half the battery life. Note on the messages that I typed many of the replies on the IR unit as my iPhone 7 is a real battery hog with Earthmate App on. Also, many messages that I send approach 160 characters and get busted up into 2, 3 or even 4 so the IR message tracker count is at least twice as high as the number I sent out or received in....glad I had the unlimited plan. I do shut off the IR between checks, day or night and never use tracking mode. Good luck with your IR...love mine.

Anybody have any updates or info to add now that seasons are over?

Trying to figure out this decision also and my peers and confidants are split 50/50 on which they’d prefer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I opted for the Mini, and am glad I did. The battery lasted me well over a week, just sending a check in message or two a night. I leave it powered off until I need it. The app for your phone is easy to use and actually has a pretty slick mapping and GPS application. I used it exclusively this year (I carried my e-trex 30 as a backup, but never needed it) on 2 elk hunts, 2 deer hunts, and a sheep hunt. I do carry a battery backup Anker power pack thing, because I tend to take a lot of cell phone pictures and stuff, so the battery dying after a week doesn't hurt my feelings any.

I opted for the Mini, and am glad I did. The battery lasted me well over a week, just sending a check in message or two a night. I leave it powered off until I need it. The app for your phone is easy to use and actually has a pretty slick mapping and GPS application. I used it exclusively this year (I carried my e-trex 30 as a backup, but never needed it) on 2 elk hunts, 2 deer hunts, and a sheep hunt. I do carry a battery backup Anker power pack thing, because I tend to take a lot of cell phone pictures and stuff, so the battery dying after a week doesn't hurt my feelings any.

Thanks for the insight and info. Much appreciated brother

Dirk Pitt

FNG
Can the Explorer be used as a GPS without an active subscription? There is conflicting info on this even among Garmin tech support.

Joseph08

Lil-Rokslider
Mini is cool. Long lasting battery and easier usability makes it great gear to carry along on expeditions.

rbljack

WKR
I bought a mini this year as well. Turns out, where we hunted I had cell service most of the time, so the communication issue I was concerned about was not an issue at all. What I failed to do, and wish I had done was to pick a day or two and use it as a tracker though...just to see how it worked out and begin testing the unit, see how much battery it used, etc. I was too focused on hunting to think much about it though. One factor that led me to the mini was this; I primarily want it for SOS emergency, and communication when cell service isn't available. For the purpose of SOS, I feel that it needs to be stored in a place readily available and as easy to get. Because the mini was smaller, it fit nicely into the basement pocket of my AGC bino harness. I also have a GPS watch which is used to mark camp and the truck, so I technically have 3 gps options. I didn't see the need for the larger Inreach Unit for me anyways. Good luck in your decision. No matter which unit you get, I think its a nice piece of gear to provide piece of mind while hunting, hiking, etc.

NCSU_Lewis

Lil-Rokslider
I used the tracker function on a mini this year every day we were out after elk. I like the data, but doing that and sending a few messages a day, it wouldn't have lasted more than maybe 3 days on a charge. When I use it on a longer backpack hunt, I probably won't track with it. I would be curious to how long it would last with a few messages a day, staying on to be able to quickly send an emergency message if need be. Overall, I'm happy with it, since I am using OnX on my phone. The Earthmate app was easy to navigate as well.

adieatrick

Lil-Rokslider
Another vote for the mini. 10 days in the back country and only charged it once. Sends and receives messages reasonably quickly, although, it is slower if you are in timber. The thing that's cool is whoever you send a message can open it up and see via satellite your exact location, almost down to the tree you were standing by. I have no regrets getting the mini.

Another vote for the mini. 10 days in the back country and only charged it once. Sends and receives messages reasonably quickly, although, it is slower if you are in timber. The thing that's cool is whoever you send a message can open it up and see via satellite your exact location, almost down to the tree you were standing by. I have no regrets getting the mini.

the mini has been our top seller this year in comaprison to the other...if you need pricing or have questions just let us know

I used the tracker function on a mini this year every day we were out after elk. I like the data, but doing that and sending a few messages a day, it wouldn't have lasted more than maybe 3 days on a charge. When I use it on a longer backpack hunt, I probably won't track with it. I would be curious to how long it would last with a few messages a day, staying on to be able to quickly send an emergency message if need be. Overall, I'm happy with it, since I am using OnX on my phone. The Earthmate app was easy to navigate as well.

I like using the tracking feature so the guys back at the station (and wives and kids at home) can track us around the mtn. Entertaining for them and eases the minds of some spouses.

Kinda worried that the half battery of the mini won’t be as “useful” to me on my trips since I’ll be running it in tracking mode form sun up to sun down.

CLibka

Lil-Rokslider
I liked the mini this year. It is an emergency beacon first and foremost in my opinion and as such, I wanted it to always be on my body in case I took a tumble without my pack. The mini was the only option that I could hang from my chest rig (something that never comes off my body) without noticing it. If I took a wrong step and didn't expire in the fall I would still be able to call in the calvary even if I lost my pack. That was the deciding factor for me.

I would go with the Explorer because $100 is cheap insurance Incase my phone craps out or lose it. I like having redundancy in my safety equipment. As the Boy Scouts say be prepared.

We got a mini this year and liked it very much. The only thing I'd do differently next time is I'd get it in the orange color. The mini is so small I'm always concerned of misplacing the little back one!

tater

WKR
I ran the mini this year as well.

It was carried from July through to now, and was flawless. I don't have cell service at home and have used it the odd time to connect when power has gone out, as well as carrying it when i am in backcountry (every weekend plus usual week+ early season trips). Battery life is great, and a tiny back up power bank ensures easy field recharging if necessary.

Redundancy for navigation is always having a good topo map and a compass for me, not another device, so when it is paired to a phone it is all i need.

HookUp

WKR
I used the mini this year with good success. Using the app makes it easy. Killed an elk and texted my wife to buy the freezer I had in my cart on Amazon. I strap it into a Kifaru gps pouch.