Gear washing tip

Recently bought a used bino harness. It was in pretty good shape but had a strong sweet smell to it, like car freshener or something. I washed it in some scent free detergent and it still smelled. So I tried a soap mix I have used on dogs that got sprayed by a skunk (works great for that).

In a bucket mix up some 3% hydrogen peroxide, baking soda, and dish soap. This is the ratio the Humane Society recommends but I've always just eye balled it:

1 quart of 3-percent hydrogen peroxide (available at any pharmacy)
1/4 cup baking soda
1 teaspoon liquid dishwashing soap

You can always dilute it with water if you'd like.

Give your gear a good soak (few minutes), scrub, and rinse a few times. I did that on this harness and can't pick up the smell at all. Obviously use your judgement on what you use this mix on, the idea is that the mix breaks down the oils causing the smell. Probably more useful on scents/oils than odors caused by bacteria.

boom

WKR
my wife uses this mesh bag for washing her bras. it is made so the straps dont snag on everything.

i put my bino case in it and tossed it into the machine with some hippy scent free, phosphorous free, soap free, animal testing free, suds free....detergent. worked like a charm.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I bought a used Sitka shirt and it smells like a french whore even after washing multiple times. I thought only kuiu was allowed to be worn at airport bars guess this shirt was the exception to the rule. I'll try this and report back.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Jskaanland

Administrator
Staff member
I bought a used Sitka shirt and it smells like a french whore even after washing multiple times. I thought only kuiu was allowed to be worn at airport bars guess this shirt was the exception to the rule. I'll try this and report back.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I swear any sitka gear that comes straight from sitka smells like perfume.

i take all of my non-clothing soft goods that can't go in the washing machine and throw them in a big rubbermaid tote with atsko sport wash and agitate it with a clean plunger. rinse and hang dry.

eagle_eye

FNG
My wife used this method(peroxide) on blood stained white sheets.
Afterwards, the sheets looked new.

I’ll keep that in mind next time I need to dispose of a body wrapped in a bed sheet. Throwing them away each time gets expensive!

No one said you had to throw them away each time.

"Hey, what's that stain from?"
"Don't worry about it."
*THWACK!*

Thanks for posting this. My Exo stinks

My boned out meat leaked after the 3hr pack out. I didnt garbage bag it because I figured it would not breathe. Ive washed it twice in a tote and its still kinda funky.

ill try this

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Tapatalk

Sam's dad

Lil-Rokslider
I bought some clothing here that stank like a flowery detergent. Even after multiple washings it didn’t come out. Then I soaked in it a Borax water mix for a day and after the next wash, it was scent free.

I bought some clothing here that stank like a flowery detergent. Even after multiple washings it didn’t come out. Then I soaked in it a Borax water mix for a day and after the next wash, it was scent free.

This! Borax works great. Soak blood soaked clothes/gear for a couple hours in cold water, then wash with Borax!