Game bags??

amp713

WKR
So I've always just used the old cotton style game bags because the wild game butcher in my little town gives away all the ones that get left with him for free. But I've decided its time to upgrade. I was thinking about bomb bags but sometimes I pack out whole quarters so I was thinking about getting the black ovis deer bags and then I could pack boned out elk meat as well as deer quarters but was curious what others do in a situation where you could be packing quarters or boned out meat depending on how far back you fill.a tag. I dont want to have to change my kit up from hunt to hunt.

I picked up a set of the Black Ovis bags last year and have been really happy with them. Seems like thwyre comparable to the TAG bags. Watch camofire and the whole kit will pop up for $50.

I got the bigger bags so I didn't need to have a set for each species.

EastMT

WKR
I have several of the synthetic bags, Allen is my favorite budget option from Amazon, but any of them are a much better option than the cotton and last a long time. X2 on watching camofire for the black ovis on sale if you are not in a hurry.

WJS23

WKR
The last few times I went out west I used the caribou gear game bags and my buddy uses the tag bags. We didn’t have any problems with any of them

FreeRange

WKR
I either use the TAG BOMB bags which cannot be beat if you're deboning and packing meat on a load shelf style pack, or the Allen synthetic bags off of Amazon. For the first time ever I just tried putting a mule deer bone in rear quarter in the BOMB bag and with a bit of squeezing I actually got it to fit. I really like the slim profile of the BOMB bags for packing out boneless meat as they keep everything from sliding and shifting around like a slimy blob in an oversized bag.

Quick tip for any game bags, put them in a vac sealer bag and seal them, it's flat out amazing how small they'll get.

I’ve been running the cheap cotton ones everyone bashes on. I have a weird sense of pride about how many times I can reuse them. I sew up the little holes that develop every year and look forward to using them again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oenanthe

WKR
I had a bad experience once with flies laying eggs on caribou meat through some cotton stocking type game bags. Sorry to shout, but NEVER, NEVER AGAIN!

Have been using TAG bags ever since for mountain hunts for caribou and sheep. i still have a few heavy cotton duck bags for moose quarters. But tthe TAG bags go along on every single mountain hunt.

I picked up a set of the Black Ovis bags last year and have been really happy with them. Seems like thwyre comparable to the TAG bags. Watch camofire and the whole kit will pop up for $50.

I got the bigger bags so I didn't need to have a set for each species.

I use the blackovis bags but i also never pack out the bone. I always debone

I also got the good deal on Camofire and got the large Black Ovis game kill kit and love it. I took the quarters and the backstop/tenderlion with those and they were perfect. And when I coupled this with citric acid powder solution, I got the meat home safely. Now they are soaking in water to try and get the blood out and with a little bleach in the clothes washer, they should be ready for the next trip next week for Mule Deer.

If you want to pack whole elk hind quarters you pretty much need a 20"x30" bag. I like TAG bags but the bomb are too small for bone in elk anything and the next size up is giant and excessive. I carry a mix of 3 TAG Bomb, 1 Caribou Small Quarter single, 1 Kuiu medium, 1 Kuiu small zip. The allen backcountry are also 20x30 and I swear the same company makes those and Caribou. My hunting buddy and dad use the Black ovis bags. They all work but look for a few 20x30 size if you want to leave the hinds bone in. I almost never leave bone in but with the bags I carry I can get quarters off and get them hanging and covered with the 20x30 bags while they cool before I debone. The TAG bags are the only bags with that type of material and it is still the best in my opinion (have not tried jimmy tarps but all others mentioned above in my post). The caribou are almost checkered and can really grip the meat when dried and almost look like a mini meat tenderizer all over the meat. Kuiu are slightly smoother and the black ovis are pretty course material as well like the Caribou. Allen are really similar to Caribou with maybe slightly less seam reinforcement and slightly different cinch cord and cord lock.

I make my own. 24" by 29" inches. And one 14" by 28" strap and grind meat bag. Look around, thee are much more affordable and, just as well functioning bags out there then the names being thrown around here.

OP
amp713

amp713

WKR
Thanks for all the feedback guys, and I should have specified deer quarters. I dont plan on hiking out elk quarters unless I get one leaving or heading back to the truck and I'm less than a mile away haha

duchntr

WKR
Ive recently been making my own game bags. If I were to buy some again id go TAG as I've been happy wth the set my wife bought me. Id pickup up 4 or 5 quarter bags for bone in big critters and 2 big bomb bags for deer sized critters boned out.

satchamo

WKR
Viam is currently running their bags 20% off.

They are just as good, if not better than TAG. They're a small company out of Bozeman that will take care if you. They ship incredibly fast. And no, I have no affiliation, just had a good experience with them

VIAM Outdoors

Seaker574

FNG
I used the Ovis bags this month on a Sitka deer hunt. I left the shank bones in. I used a pack with a meat shelf. 4 mile pack out. They worked. Great. I used jimmy tarp bags last year. They didn’t hold up.

OP
amp713

amp713

WKR
So i ended up grabbing a set of cheaper ones off of Amazon, norther game bags out of Alaska and i plan to grab a kifaru meat bag and I think between those 2 I should have a good set up but only time and downed animals will tell