Garmin: What are your preset messages?

Joe Schmo

Lil-Rokslider
I’m drawing a blank...
1. No elk down, everything is ok
2. Tell me how things are at home
3. ???

What are your preset messages? I figure if they’re free they should be well thought out.

colonel00

WKR
I set mine up to have multiple uses. I don't have them off hand but it's something like:

1) Starting here for the day. Also a Yes to a question
2) Ending here for the day. Also a No to a question
3) Just checking in, everything is fine. Remember that messages are not free so maximize a message up to 60 characters.

The last one was born out of necessity after getting multiple messages from the wife instead of her putting everything into one message.

Hahaha
Something like
1) Just checking in, all is good
2) Doing fine, just gonna be a little late
3)Im ok, but gonna need some help. Multiple meaning on that one.

Do you only get three? For some reason I thought you got 9 or something?

I kinda hate how Garmin doesn't let you manipulate those things until you activate the device. Of course maybe I'm doing it wrong.

Netherman

WKR
I set mine up to have multiple uses. I don't have them off hand but it's something like:

3) Just checking in, everything is fine. Remember that messages are not free so maximize a message up to 60 characters.

The last one was born out of necessity after getting multiple messages from the wife instead of her putting everything into one message.

I like this ^^^ idea. I'm also thinking of adding a numbering system with a decoder ring is the way to go. For sure stealing the wife reminder as I think that will be an issue for my wife too. This will be my first year with the inreach and I didn't realize than incoming messages would have an additional charge. My messages are going to be a little different since we have five people in our party and will be hunting in two groups.

1) 0 - Staying out all day.
2) 1 - Camping here.
3) Turns out I'm still alive. Remember that messages are not free so maximize a message up to 60 characters.

00 - TBD
01 - TBD
10 - TBD
11 - TBD
Need to make a plan for these but could go deeper if needed.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor

I like blending the yes/no aspect into the first 2. (Mine are its all good type message, and also a running late but okay message)
HAHA, that last one is awesome. Its funny because I was using one with an unlimited plan last year and folks were texting like normal, I told my wife to maximize responses and the first reply was a one word followed by a longer reply BUT at least she acknowledged the oversight in that reply for not combining them.

Isn't it 160character messages though?

DavePwns

WKR
1. Everything is going well so far, love you.
2. I'm going to be a bit late, all is well
3. I'm OK, but I'm going to need some help.

colonel00

WKR
I like blending the yes/no aspect into the first 2. (Mine are its all good type message, and also a running late but okay message)
HAHA, that last one is awesome. Its funny because I was using one with an unlimited plan last year and folks were texting like normal, I told my wife to maximize responses and the first reply was a one word followed by a longer reply BUT at least she acknowledged the oversight in that reply for not combining them.

Isn't it 160character messages though?

Yeah, probably is 160 characters. I was just going off my faulty memory.

Also, for 1 & 2 I now think I actually even phrased it to be something like "Starting here for eh day. Also a Yes or Positive response to a question" This just made it easy to respond other "typical" messages we get about some crap that somehow necessitates a response from us.

colonel00

WKR
Actually, now I'm thinking about changing my messages to:

1) My knees hurt. I'm too old for this $@#%!
2) My knees and my body hurts. I'm too old for this $#@$!
3) I give up. Go on without me. Let me die in pain...

1) Hi! Having fun out here
Just to let the wife know I think about her too when I am hunting :)
2) delayed but will be ok
Obvious
3) back at the truck
Nice for the wife to know when you have to drive an hour and a half home with no service that I’m ok and out of the woods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brendan

WKR
"Parked Here, Everything Ok"
"Camped Here, Everything Ok"
"All's Well"

Would love to add "F**K Hunting, Send Bourbon"

Read1t48

WKR
Great thread!!
I thought I was the only one that tried to make codes. lol. I went down to safety plan so I like the presets.
1. Parked here or All is Good.
2. Camped here or everyone ok.
3. Filled tag and coming home.

If I’m in trouble and need help, I’ll text details. Who cares at that point.
I love my InReach. Game changer for solo hunting or peace of mind when taking the kids.

tttoadman

WKR
“Alive and kicking ass.” This goes to a few people

“Still kicking ass”. This just goes to my wife

“Bury the hookers and wash the sheets. I am coming home”. Obviously just for the wife

rbljack

WKR
just ordered an inreach mini...so I guess its time to start figuring this thing out....subscribed and looking for tips.

OP
Joe Schmo

Joe Schmo

Lil-Rokslider
Great input folks.
I copied some and made my own...told wife that if she gets 5 “I’m here” messages it means BULL DOWN!! My buddy said that she doesn’t care, and he’s right so I added him to the “I’m here” message :)