Recommendations for an Orange, Fixed Blade Hunting Knife Needed

Crusader

WKR
Hey guys,

I am pretty ignorant when it comes to knives so I'm coming here for some suggestions for a new knife to use for my CO first rifle elk hunt this October. I have used various inexpensive knives all my life for hunting, usually they've been folders. I think I am going to go the replacement razor blade knife (likely Havalon) route and want a good-sized fixed blade to pair with that. I've lost a few knives in the field over the years and so, want this fixed-blade to have an orange handle as well as a full tang. Want it to be easy to grip and not slip when wet/bloody. Would like to stay around the $100 mark or under. I've done a little research and have some interest in the SOG Huntspoint Boning S30V knife and the Benchmade Steep Country drop point with the same steel. I think the reviews on both of them are very critical of their inferior sheaths, but the knives seem to be pretty decent.

So, do you any of you have thoughts on those two choices, or recommendations for something else that fits my criteria?

Thanks in advance!

LostArra

WKR
You might keep an eye on Camofire (who doesn’t ?). They have had some orange handle fixed blades. Maybe the SOG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My brother brought that Benchmade Steepcountry on our elk hunt last year. I was super impressed. We abused that knife and it was still super sharp in the end. We saved the edge to break down the elk but after that was done it became a utility knife and just kept going. And it had an orange handle.

mcseal2

WKR
The Benchmade Altitude is a smaller fixed blade, maybe smaller than you'd want and well over $100. The Steep Country would be a good one but has a 3.5" blade, not a lot longer than the Havalon.

If you want something bigger you might look at the Bark River knives deluxe game series. They offer some with a 4 or 4.5" blade of tough CPM 3V steel and orange handles. I don't have any personal experience with that steel but I might in the future. I've read some reviews saying that because its such a tough steel a blade can be made thinner and still be strong enough to take a lot of abuse. I always like a thinner fixed blade that slices well for game processing, but want a knife that can take some abuse if need be so this appeals to me. I personally like their classic clip point hunter in CPM 3V that can be had with orange G10 handles, but that model is over $200. It weighs about 8oz with sheath they said. The Ultra Light Hunter 2 is another good looking knife that is in A2 steel and has lots of handle options. I didn't see blaze orange, but some pretty bright options are available. It's priced around $145 for the basic version and weighs about 3.2oz.

Anyway there are some ideas.

Fitzwho

WKR
Outdoor Edge SwingBlade? I was super impressed with that knife before the RazorBlaze and assorted replacement blade versions came out. Still have it, a RazorBlaze, a RazorPro, and a couple Havalons (black stag, Piranta, and Evolve). I have a White River Scout that I keep on my belt when I’m hunting as well.

My #1 favorite utility hunting knife is a Cutco drop point. Bright orange grip and it's a good rubberized tacky grip, too. Very handy when hands are tired and wet with blood. It's a strong blade, available in a conventional or serrated (Double D) grind. The serrated model cuts VERY aggressively and is an amazing knife for taking apart big-big animals. Under magnification the grind on the serrated blade shows there is no rounded concave aspect to it. It's all angled edges moving from point to point and every edge is blister-sharp. The factory edge will shave your neck or slice a sheet of paper. Factory re-sharpening is free on any Cutco for life.

I too like an orange grip for visibility when working on bigger animals which take more time and often require laying the knife aside. For myself, I'll always have a grip which fits my hand and is comfortable. Skeleton grips are not for me in any way, except for very short-term jobs. For the record, I think the Benchmade Steep Country looks like a superb utility hunting knife capable of handling anything in North America.

Esee fire ant is a good one that come to mind. Kestrel with a wrapped handle would work too. Mora makes one. Buck has them in orange. You can usually find orange but I would choose the knife first.

hoff1ck

WKR
My brother brought that Benchmade Steepcountry on our elk hunt last year. I was super impressed. We abused that knife and it was still super sharp in the end. We saved the edge to break down the elk but after that was done it became a utility knife and just kept going. And it had an orange handle.

This. Don't know much about the others that have been mentioned, but the Steep Country certainly fits your criteria. Super nice knife.

mtnhmr

FNG
It's not a full tang and you're not gunna split wood or a chest cavity...

Victorinox Paring Knifes (~$5.00) and drill out the handle.

They're cheap, hold and edge, come in colors, but you may need a pocket sharpener.

I'm not a fan of the Hav's... although they get the job done, flimsy blades that break and cut up my hands without discretion. A lot of pain for little gain.

Last edited:
OP
Crusader

Crusader

WKR
Thanks for the great suggestions, guys. Very cool knives, several out of my price range. Just a couple of questions:

mtnhmr--why drill out the Victorinox handle, for weight reduction, or???

Rs3003 (or anyone else who might know)--what steel does Case use; what is "Tru-Sharp" surgical steel?

Kevin Dill--with the Cutco, is the serrated blade the way to go? What are the pros and cons?

Thanks again for the input....

LostArra

WKR
8c65635845a1e10cf7b6f9477b7e816c.jpg

Anyone who drills out a Little Vickie to save weight needs serious help.

I broke down an entire cow elk (gutless) with a Little Vickie last season just to see if it would work. It did.

Kevin Dill--with the Cutco, is the serrated blade the way to go? What are the pros and cons?

I think it depends on whether you want your knife to be an all-purpose hunting knife around camp, versus a knife used only to break down larger game animals. I would always go straight edge for general or multi use, because it can be field sharpened if dulled. You can do that yourself and save some hassle. I mainly advocate the serrated blade for taking apart bigger animals which require lots of work, including de-boning all meat. The serrated Cutco blade points protect the interior of the serrations from getting dulled easily...say if a bone is contacted. I've skinned, quartered and recovered all meat from big bulls (moose) and then de-boned it without ever dulling the blade. The serrations definitely reduced the physical effort of cutting...they just are extremely effective on tough tendons, ligaments and so on. That's why most EMTs carry serrated blades for cutting through tough fabrics and such.

Cons to Cutco serrated: They make poor cheese slicers in camp, lol. They aren't for precise delicate cutting. Can't whittle a toothpick easily. They can grab hair when cutting through hides, so care is needed to prevent that. You can NOT sharpen the Cutco serrated yourself due to the specialized grind. Cutco sharpens them free in your home (a rep will visit) or you can send it back to Cutco in NY where they are made.

OP
Crusader

Crusader

WKR
Yep, just got the Camofire email. I think I'm leaning towards getting the Steep Country, though the SOG in S30V is a pretty good deal. I just like the features of the Steep Country, the little aspects that make it less slip-prone. Wish the blade were a little longer, but I think 3.5" is definitely workable.

Jardo

WKR
Bark River knives. Fox river or Canadian special are my favorites. They can be ordered in orange scales. These are Imho the best production knives available. You'll spend more than $100 but it will be the last knife you buy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk