Katadyn Vs. MSR

Ryhole

FNG
I was wondering what everyone's preference is on the katadyn water filter and the MSR. I know the MSR is more money, but I'm curious if it is that much better than the katadyn

marktole

WKR
My buddy has a MSR mini works (or whatever it is called) that screws to the top of a nalgene. We used his on a few days of a hunt and used my Katadym hiker pro for the other few days.

We both agreed we liked the Katadyn hiker pro a little better. Seemed to have a faster flow rate, and was easier to use the pump handle than the MSR one.

UtahJimmy

WKR
The katadyn is significantly faster but the filters do get clogged if your source is dirty.

If you enjoy scrubbing filters frequently get the MSR.

I haven't used the sawyer mini/squeeze yet, but that is on my list for next year's gear upgrade.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OP
Ryhole

Ryhole

FNG
I have the sawyer mini right now. It works well with two platypus bags, but if the water isn't flowing fast in the source it's a pain. My brother in law had the katadyn hiker and it worked a lot better in a small source of water. Thanks for the tips guys

Lawnboi

WKR
What msr are you referring to?

Iv owned a msr microworks, trailshot and the Katadyn hiker.

My order for ones I like most for mostly clear water
Msr trailshot #1
Katadyn
Microworks

Battleguy

Banned
Depends on need, usage, and other details.

For hiking? Neither. Most water in the backcountry is pretty clean, the only threat are easily filtered parasites and common bacteria. A simple, lightweight, cheap filter is the only way to go. The Sawyer springs to mind. 3oz, $50, and a million gallon capacity.

For more urban usage, or for your basic "world gone mad" kinda stuff where you have no idea what's in the water, whether it's chemicals, virulent viruses, or alien DNA, you really need a purifier. I like the First Need for portable purification. It's capacity is rather low, so plan on a couple extra filter elements. But it's the most effective purifier I've seen that is even remotely portable. It weighs a lb, which isn't too far off from the Katadyn and MSR products, but filters far more, and for about the same price.

Big Nasty

Lil-Rokslider
I had a katadyne and it was the biggest POS I've had. It plugged on day 1 and fought with it for 10 days on a sheep hunt. Very dry this yr and had big issues getting water. The sources we used were dirty but my old MSR was bullet proof to the katadyne. Yup it had good flow for about the first 5 litres then was just a trickle for the other 100 litres of water we filtered. Took it back and got my money back, was so frustrated with it, almost ruined our hunt was how bad it was getting. We'd go 5 kms out of way not to use the filter and find a good stream. Usually we don't need filters in the mountains but this was extremely dry and even the big creeks/streams had no running water and just puddles, never seen it like that ever. IMO I'll stick to the MSR and slower pump rate but I know it works when needed.

Lawnboi

WKR
Microworks and the Hiker

I liked the hiker more in that you didn't have to scrub the thing, that said the inlet connection broke on mine mid trip and rendered it useless.

The microworks was a little more finicky with water, and required scrubbing of the element (easy to do) to maintain flow. It was much more bullet proof and also liked the fact that I could screw it on directly to my bottle/bladder.

If your filtering mainly for yourself and out of semi clear and moving water I'd look at the MSR trailshot, I like it more than both the above.

Regardless what you buy carry tablets as a backup, as you read above filters can and will fail