Critique my Frank Church Gear List! Is 52lbs too much?

OP
J
Foam pad only would be rough. If you need to borrow a pad let me know.

Your food is not good. But at 26 I guess you aren’t as sensitive to a crap diet.

How many fuel canisters?

52 is heavy if you don’t train in the mountains all the time.

That Sawyer is risky.

If you posted weight of each it would help trouble shoot.

Ron

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t mind the foam pad. I have two thermarests, but I’ve not had good luck with them. What’s a good resource for food info? That’s something that can be easily changed. I also have a katadyn filter, but usually don’t take. That weight included 4 fuel canisters to be conservative, but I think I’ll only take two

FLAK

WKR
Do it to it. Just go!! Only YOU can decide what works for you.
Next trip you"ll have a better idea of what you "NEED" and what
you don't. What works and what doesn't.

Btaylor

WKR
You can go to the GoHunt site and read Brady Miller's no stove food list or google it. You will get some good ideas for tweaking your food. If you are not having to heat water for everything one fuel canister is enough. I would second having more than one bladder and would add a water bottle and some purification drops. Would also add some Mtn Ops or Wilderness Athlete drink packets for hydration. It was nice to have every evening with dinner.

Just did my first backpack hunt this year and went in with 65# including 6 liters of water because of the uncertainty of available water once we got up there. Hike in wasnt nearly as far as you are looking at but was 1600+ of gain in 1 1/4 mile off trail. It was not pleasant by any means but I just turned 50 too. At 26 I would worry less about the physical and prepare for the mental and survival aspects like redundancy for safe drinking water, being prepared for inclement weather etc. Go get after it, embrace the suck and soak up the adventure.

I wouldn't worry about the weight. I carried a lot more than that into the maroon bells last year. Its steep, but probably not as bad as the FC. If you can go slow at your own pace the difference between a 40 and 50 pound pack is negligible. It's not like you have to carry the weight with you every day.

I would add some fruit to your food list. I wouldn't want to eat just MH and ramen for 7 days. I like taking the instant packs of mashed potatoes too.

Josh, if you want to PM me, I'm happy to chat about the Frank if you have questions. I've hunted in there for a few years.

I think your gear list is more than adequate. I'm in my 20s and my gear isn't half as nice.

Tod osier

WKR
I have not deer hunted in the church, but have elk hunted there. I’d want to know from someone who deer hunts in the area you are going if they think a spotter would help. There are places where you can see far more country than binoculars can cover. I love having a spotter on any hunt, though.

Huge country in most places there. I like the spotter to look at good looking areas thatre over 2 miles away. That's when 10x binos start struggling.

It's a bigger deal for deer because they're smaller and harder to spot compared to elk.

Mtnboy

WKR
If that includes 4-5 game bags, I'd drop it down to 2-3.

Are the ascent pants listed the ones your wearing or spares? I never pack spare pants.

As others said, could maybe drop spotting scope, that's a personal call, spotters have their place and can be fun to have...have you tried binos on the tripod? You can see A LOT farther and A LOT clearer than by just holding or balancing them.....could be a happy medium.

Chesapeake

Lil-Rokslider
Where to start. List seems overly generalized.
I guess #1 keep track of what you use, what you don't, and what you wanted. Then next time you'll know what to leave behind.

Are you bringing ammo?
Do you use a GPS, smart phone, headphones, lithium battery pack????
550 cord?
A headlamp?

1 jetboil canister will be enough for 7 days. If not finish out with cold food.
Jettison the dishes. Take a single "light my fire" spork. It will tuck under your jetboil insulator when not in use. Expect the Jet boil igniter to break. Bring a Bic. Jettison the pot support and plastic stabilizer. Find a flat rock to set it on. Build a fire if you want to cook your deer.
Pack or vasaline soaked cotton balls. fire starter, lip balm, monkey but cream (multi use).

Forget the dishes. Bring a few freezer quart ziplocks. You don't want to cook in the jetboil. It makes a mess. Just boil water in the jetboil and then dump it in your mountain house bags and let it set a bit. Put it in a stocking cap to set if its real cold. Bring a stocking cap, its dual use.
Idahoan instant spuds are a good filler.
Lipton instant soup packs.
Minute oats rather than old fashioned.
A roll of bagels and the tinfoil pack tuna sandwich mix. Heavy calories and breaks up the freeze dry.
Real Bacon bits (not the freeze dried stuff) Can buy at Costco.
Almond butter.
Starbucks VIA.

I'd take a real knife along with the Havalon. Or several blades. Them things aren't the greatest for breaking down and boning out an animal.

With 10x42 EL's I'd ditch the spotter.

Contractor bag to keep blood out of the pack.

Advil, tums, anti-diarrhea, Benadryl, in your first aid kit.

Josh, if you want to PM me, I'm happy to chat about the Frank if you have questions. I've hunted in there for a few years.

I think your gear list is more than adequate. I'm in my 20s and my gear isn't half as nice.

This exactly. Don't get too caught up in any of our advice - when I was in my twenties I was packing using a 70's vintage Kelty pack (on the 90s'), $35 Hi-tek hiking boots, and some heavy Cabelas sleeping back and tent. We probably also packed in a grill grate to put over some rocks to cook the steaks and baked potatoes we packed in - not exactly ultra light! :)

We had a great time and never had a second thought that we were over-weight or under-geared. Even if great gear existed back then we likely wouldn't have known about it let alone be able to afford it. Have fun and enjoy yourself.

OP
J
Where to start. List seems overly generalized.
I guess #1 keep track of what you use, what you don't, and what you wanted. Then next time you'll know what to leave behind.

Are you bringing ammo?
Do you use a GPS, smart phone, headphones, lithium battery pack????
550 cord?
A headlamp?

1 jetboil canister will be enough for 7 days. If not finish out with cold food.
Jettison the dishes. Take a single "light my fire" spork. It will tuck under your jetboil insulator when not in use. Expect the Jet boil igniter to break. Bring a Bic. Jettison the pot support and plastic stabilizer. Find a flat rock to set it on. Build a fire if you want to cook your deer.
Pack or vasaline soaked cotton balls. fire starter, lip balm, monkey but cream (multi use).

Forget the dishes. Bring a few freezer quart ziplocks. You don't want to cook in the jetboil. It makes a mess. Just boil water in the jetboil and then dump it in your mountain house bags and let it set a bit. Put it in a stocking cap to set if its real cold. Bring a stocking cap, its dual use.
Idahoan instant spuds are a good filler.
Lipton instant soup packs.
Minute oats rather than old fashioned.
A roll of bagels and the tinfoil pack tuna sandwich mix. Heavy calories and breaks up the freeze dry.
Real Bacon bits (not the freeze dried stuff) Can buy at Costco.
Almond butter.
Starbucks VIA.

I'd take a real knife along with the Havalon. Or several blades. Them things aren't the greatest for breaking down and boning out an animal.

With 10x42 EL's I'd ditch the spotter.

Contractor bag to keep blood out of the pack.

Advil, tums, anti-diarrhea, Benadryl, in your first aid kit.

Excellent info. Thanks

tttoadman

WKR
One big thing in the Frank can be water up high. You may need to plan to pack 4 to 8 liters of water to cover you for multiple days. with a Rem 700, water, I would be happy to stay under 60lbs. Do not go to the Frank without trekking poles. I would not give up the spotter for deer hunting. I use my 10x42 on a tripod, and it is lacking for long distance.

7 days food(oatmeal, ramen, mtn house) More protien. Less empty carbs
Platypus & Sawyer Mini Take chlorine dioxide tablets as a primary. Use the Sawyer as a backup.
REI Ultralight 2 person Tent No idea which tent this is, but it's likely heavier than a floorless tipi, which would be my choice
Foam Sleeping Pad You must be younger than me. My old bones can't handle a foam pad. I use a Neoair xTherm. More comfortable and thermally efficient than a foam pad.
Marmot Sawtooth or Helium(have both) Good choices.
Jetboil & Fuel MSR Windpro or Reactor are better in wind and cold.
TAG game bags Yep
Plastic utensils A single spoon is all you need.
Rubber packable cup & bowl Rubber is heavy. Titanium is light. What do you need a bowl for? Eat Mountain House out of the pouch.
Merino wool layers, undies, socks Yep
Sitka traverse zip t
Sitka Ascent pants
Sitka puffy jacket(forget the name)
Patagonia nanopuff
Lightweight toiletries
Small first aid kit
Inreach satcom
Swaro EL 10x42
Vortex Razor 85mm
Pro master XC 525 Tripod That's a pretty heavy tripod. Sirui T-024X Traveler Light Carbon Fiber Tripod with C-10S Ball Head is less than 1/2 the weight.
Remmy 700 with Leupold VX-6 scope
Nikon rangefinder
Havalon piranta
Batteries
Meindl perfekt boots

Don't see ear protection on your list. Sunglasses and a hat should be on it too.