Critique my Frank Church Gear List! Is 52lbs too much?

Kifaru DT2 w/ guide lid
7 days food(oatmeal, ramen, mtn house)
Platypus & Sawyer Mini
REI Ultralight 2 person Tent
Foam Sleeping Pad
Marmot Sawtooth or Helium(have both)
Jetboil & Fuel
TAG game bags
Plastic utensils
Rubber packable cup & bowl
Merino wool layers, undies, socks
Sitka traverse zip t
Sitka Ascent pants
Sitka puffy jacket(forget the name)
Patagonia nanopuff
Lightweight toiletries
Small first aid kit
Inreach satcom
Swaro EL 10x42
Vortex Razor 85mm
Pro master XC 525 Tripod
Remmy 700 with Leupold VX-6 scope
Nikon rangefinder
Havalon piranta
Batteries
Meindl perfekt boots

All this stuff comes to about 52lbs including the pack. Is this a reasonable weight to take on Frank Church for 7 days? I’m in the best shape I’ve ever been in, and l’ll be hunting Mule Deer. Please give your honest opinions. I only get to hunt the West once or twice a year, and this is the physically toughest hunt I’ve ever planned. Appreciate the advice friends!

Also, I’m going solo, so if anyone has interest in going along, my wife would feel much better about this lol. tia!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ucsdryder

WKR
Are you going 2 miles or 20? Are you setting up a spike and hunting from there or bivy? Your list seems short but heavy!

OP
J
Are you going 2 miles or 20? Are you setting up a spike and hunting from there or bivy? Your list seems short but heavy!

Spike. 7 miles in. I’m not sure where to cut down really besides stove.

OP
J
You will live. Use what you have and go.

This is what I kinda figured as well. I only have so much $$ to spend on gear and I invested it in glass. Trying to utilize good glass rather than my legs

OP
J
How old are you? ...24 years old and you are underpacked...65+ years old and you will soon hate life...

I’m 26 and a contractor, so I work a physical trade. The 52lb pack feels comfy in PA, but ID is a different monster.

Is that everything going on your back or include what you are wearing? I'd have rain gear and gaiters. I also might skip the spotter and tripod depending on what you're hunting.

OP
J
Is that everything going on your back or include what you are wearing? I'd have rain gear and gaiters. I also might skip the spotter and tripod depending on what you're hunting.

That’s everything. I was 152 in boxers, and 204 hunt ready. I thought about skipping the spotter as well. Would save me almost 10 lbs, but that spotter could save me quite a bit of walking.

GregB

WKR
I've hunted the Frank for a few years and did some backpack hunts. It can be anywhere from 70 and sunny to below freezing and a few inches of snow in mid September so be prepared for that. Unless you're counting inches I really think a set of binos is fine. Also replace the ramen with somthing that has some nutritional value, this will help with recovery and you'll feel better.

Last edited:
OP
J
I've hunted the Frank for a few years and did some backpack hunts. It can be anywhere from 70 and sunny to below freezing and a few inches of snow in mid September so be prepared for that. Unless you're counting inches I really think a set of binos is fine. Also replace the ramen with somthing that has some nutritional value, this will help with recovery and you'll feel better.

Thanks for the advice. Did you enjoy your trips there? Any luck?

"Is 52lbs too much?"

Dont worry so much on the weight. Take what you need to get it done. If you dont have the means to reduce your weight so be it.

Get rid of the ramen; is there even any nutritional value there? I would leave the stove and fuel at home and pack more meal bars. I ditched my stove years ago and have not looked back. That would also allow you to ditch the bowl and cup. If you are not trying to count points/inches ditch the spotter if you are worried about weight. I would take 2 water bladders. How many game bags? I usually take one large. A boned out deer is smaller than you think. If you have some cash you could probably lose some weight in the tent. If you have a store bought first aid kit you can probably leave about half of it behind.

GregB

WKR
Thanks for the advice. Did you enjoy your trips there? Any luck?

I've had good luck and to be honest you don't need to backpack in to find deer. To touch on what muley fever said I've used a Mountiansmith mountain shelter and bought my own stuff for first aid and put it in a ziplock, both of which save weight. No matter what you'll see some beautiful country there.

Replace the rubber bowls with fazoli bowls. That shaves a little. Lose the spotter and tripod. If need, 12’s would get you by. Not sure how you sleep but a foam pad get old real quick. However, if it comes down to it, hunt and embrace the suck.

Maybe I missed it but you better find room for a roll of TP or your trip will be much shorter than expected.

Dropping the 10 pounds with the spotter and tripod seems like the ticket if you are concerned about weight.

Do you use trekking poles?

hflier

WKR
Classified Approved
Foam pad only would be rough. If you need to borrow a pad let me know.

Your food is not good. But at 26 I guess you aren’t as sensitive to a crap diet.

How many fuel canisters?

52 is heavy if you don’t train in the mountains all the time.

That Sawyer is risky.

If you posted weight of each it would help trouble shoot.

Ron

Josh, at 26, your main question should be can I run with this amount of weight or only keep up a slight jog in the mountains. You will do fine. You still have all of your youth as a trump card. Hell, at your age, notch your pack up to 70 lbs.