Trekking Pole Recommendations

treillw

WKR
Any suggestions for a good pair of trekking poles to use while hunting? - snow, steep mountains, blowdowns, packing meat, etc.

I'd like them to be as lightweight as possible, but not snap in half with some moderate use.

Thanks!

LandYacht

WKR
Been using Black Diamond Alpine Carbon Cork poles for the last 10 years or so. Packed out many an elk with them. Used them through rock scree sheep hunting. Use them as the center poles for my LBO too. When the snow flies, the bigger baskets go on, and they are my ski poles. Lots of use on them and they are still going strong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtnkid85

WKR
I just had to replace my beloved pair of aluminum BD poles. They lasted ~18 years of hard use as both ski poles and trekking poles.
I looked around at all the options including the S&S poles, lekis offerings and narrowed it down to two pairs of BDs, the distance carbon Zs and the Alpine carbon cork.
The distance pole was noticeably less sturdy and it has a different lower profile tip that won't accept the typical replaceable basket, In the end I went with the Alpine carbon cork.
They've been great so far.

HookUp

WKR
The costco ones are great. you can save a few ounces but the price jumps significantly. Anything by Leki is good or Black Diamond trail is the gold standard.

Graves14

WKR
I have a set of the Black Diamond Carbon Cork poles that I’ve used the last few years but after handling those S&S backcountry poles I almost hope mine break so I can buy a set lol. They’re amazing and crazy light.

My biggest suggestion would be to not over think it, and especially don’t spend a ton of $$ on a pair that’s maybe just a little bit better than a much less expensive pair. That being said, look no further than the $29 (with all the attachments included), 15 oz. carbon fiber, flick lock’s that Costco sells. It will be the best money you ever spent on trekking poles.

Eric4

Lil-Rokslider
I've heard good things about the Massdrop Fizan poles. They are ultralight, aluminum poles and everything is made in Italy.

They are listed at $60/pair currently, but if you plan to purchase them, I can PM you a $10 off coupon.

Massdrop: Community-Driven Commerce

Rthur

Lil-Rokslider
My biggest suggestion would be to not over think it, and especially don’t spend a ton of $$ on a pair that’s maybe just a little bit better than a much less expensive pair. That being said, look no further than the $29 (with all the attachments included), 15 oz. carbon fiber, flick lock’s that Costco sells. It will be the best money you ever spent on trekking poles.

Just put 80ish miles on a set.
Did the job well as I could expect for the price.
Rolled an ankle in darkish on a stone and put more than a fair load on them.
Gathered my thoughts and was glad only a minimal mistake.
Put 210# plus pack weight on them to regain stance.

R

The absurd amount of money that some of these companies, namely BD, are getting for their trekking poles blows me away. I don’t know for a fact but I would bet that the BD poles are made in China, probably very close to if not the same location where some of the cheaper ones are made. Like an idiot I bought into the hype when I bought my first set, and spent well over $100 on Black Diamonds, and while they are very nice poles, they are nowhere near worth the amount of money I spent on them. Several years ago I broke the middle section on one (totally my fault), so I called BD to have it replaced. At that time the poles were a little over a year old and beyond the warranty, BD charged me $40, with shipping, for the replacement.

Cantharellus

Lil-Rokslider
I've been using the Leki Micro Vario TI for the last 5 years. They've held up to everything I've thrown at them. I'm pretty sure I would have broken a carbon set by now...

slowelk

WKR
AK Troutbum sold me on the Costco Cascade Mountain Tech's and I have not been disappointed. The value is unmatched, the gained utility with a more expensive pole is not there for me. About the only gripe I have on them is that I wish they were a bit shorter at full compression, but it hasn't hindered me in any way.

I'd like to give those poles from S&S a shot, but I can't get behind the twist locks.

jmden

WKR
Helinox GL 145.

Put many hundreds of miles and probably a 100,000 vertical feet with loads up to 130 lbs in some of the steepest, most rugged country there is.

These poles are specifically designed for heavy people/loads and have a rating in that regard higher than others last time I looked, yet, they are remarkably lightweight.

The "GL" is key. It stands for 'Groove Lock'. Every 5cm of extension, these have a groove that mates with another groove in the next section of pole. When the pole is locked, groove inside groove, it is locked like no other pole I've seen. That is key with heavy loads on steep terrain when you are dependent on the trekking pole.

I don't like fliplocks. Going through brush off trail they catch on everything and they weigh more. I doubt many have pushed their poles as hard as I have over the years and the twistlocks on the Helinox GL 145s have done fine. I busted a pole once, but we all know how easy that is to do. Nothing is bombproof.

Lucky Goose

Lil-Rokslider
Leki wanderfreund. the cane style is way underrated. so much more stability, power, and comfort. whatever you get, make sure it's a flip-lock, the twists locks will fail you.

Gumbo

WKR
Leki Micro-Vario Carbon have been good to me for several years. They are less than a pound and fold down small enough to fit inside my daypack.

Skurka did a long term review on the cascade mountain tech poles and mentioned a couple possible failure points to look out for. He spoke very highly of them.
Long-term review: Cascade Mountain Tech Quick Lock Poles

I have used the BD alpine carbon corks for the past few years and have been satisfied. Probably not worth multiple times the cost of the cascade mountain poles but I’ve wasted $100 on much worse!

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR