Island Whitetail Gear List

michihunt

Lil-Rokslider
All,

I was hoping you could critique my gear list for a backpack style whitetail hunt on an island in Lake Michigan. It will be 7 days at the end of october. Temps from 50 down to the 20's i would guess. This will be a rifle hunt but i didn't include the rifle or ammo. This is my first true backpack hunt and am hoping for some feedback.

Pack

Frame Mystery Ranch Nice Frame
Water Bottle PocketCustom Pods8
Side Pouch Condor Hip Pouch
Bag MR 7500 bag
Lid MR Daypack Lid

Sleep System

Sleeping Bag Mountain Hardwear Torch 5F
Sleeping Pad Klymit Insulated Static V
Pillow Klymit X Pillow
Tent Luxe Octopeak

Clothes worn

Base Layer tee First Light LLano ss
Base layer 1/4 zipBlack Ovis Merino
Pants First Lite Corrugate
Boots Cabelas Miendl Perfekt Hunter
Hat Ballcap
Vest Cabelas Berber Vest
Hunter Orange TBD
Trekking Poles Cascade Mountain Tech Carbon Fiber

Clothes packed

Fleece Mid LayerUSMC Grid Fleece
Softshell Jacket First Lite North Branch
Pants Cabelas Berber Fleece
Rain Pants Browning Hells Canyon Rainslayer
Rain Jacket Browning Hells Canyon Rainslayer
Puffy Coat Cabelas Northport Down Jacket
Beanie Condor Fleece Beanie
Gloves Outdoor Research PL100 Liner
Neck Gaiter Browning Gaiter
Base Layer BottomBlack ovis merino
Socks Costco Merino
Underwear Mission Vaprotek

Electronics

GPS Garmin InReach SE+
Headlamp TBD
Phone Samsung Galaxy
Power Bank TBD

Kill Kit

Game Bags Allen game bags
KnifeGerber Vital Folder
Blades Spare Blades
KnifeGerber Gator Folder
Cordage 100ft Paracord

Cooking

Stove Primus ETA Lite w/ pot
Spoon Long Handled Sea to Summit TI
Mug Stainless Mug
Stove Fuel MSR ISOPRo

Possibles
Multitool? TBD
Medical Kit Adventure Medical .7
Lighter BIC Mini
Tape Tenacious Tape Roll
Firestarter Vaseline cotton balls
Wet Wipes Costco Travel Pack Non Scented
EPIpen
Compass?
Zipties
matches
Toilet Paper
Drybag 8L Sea to Summit

Optics

Harness ACG CUB MAX
Binocular Vortex Diamonback 10x42
Rangefinder SIG Kilo 1250

Water

Water Bottle 1L Nalgene
Filter/Steripen Steripen Quantum
Bladder MSR Dromlite 4L

Thanks,
Nick

Last edited:
Does all of that and seven days of food fit in your pack?

I count 8 garments for your torso. You can probably do with one or two base layers, one insulation, and one shell.

I have a Cabela's berber fleece sweatshirt that I love but there's no way I'm taking that bulk on a backpack hunt.

OP
M

michihunt

Lil-Rokslider
It does all fit but i would tend to agree with you. This is the feedback i was hoping to get. Could probably leave the SS, the Northbranch and the vest....
Does all of that and seven days of food fit in your pack?

I count 8 garments for your torso. You can probably do with one or two base layers, one insulation, and one shell.

I have a Cabela's berber fleece sweatshirt that I love but there's no way I'm taking that bulk on a backpack hunt.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Sounds like a fun adventure.
Ditch the pillow and use a folded garment or two. Bring a lightweight cloth bag that you can use as a pillow case so that your clothes stay together as a pillow better (I've never brought the bag, but every time I use my clothes for a pillow, I wish I had such a thing).
I'd probably also ditch the mug and have a drink from the pot you boil water in. Unless you're a coffee drinker and don't want all of your boiled water to taste like coffee. Regardless you could probably find something lighter in the camping aisle at Wal-Mart.
Seems like you're a bit overprepared for water hauling capacity. Not sure what island (and no need to share), but usually those islands have a few streams on them and plenty of shoreline from which to get water. Five L capacity seems like a lot. In the mountains of the southwest, I generally do fine with 3 L if I know I can get to water every day. I suppose you don't have to fill your bladder full when you're out hunting, and the water bladder might be less of a weight penalty than 3 nalgenes.

OP
M

michihunt

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds like a fun adventure.
Ditch the pillow and use a folded garment or two. Bring a lightweight cloth bag that you can use as a pillow case so that your clothes stay together as a pillow better (I've never brought the bag, but every time I use my clothes for a pillow, I wish I had such a thing).
I'd probably also ditch the mug and have a drink from the pot you boil water in. Unless you're a coffee drinker and don't want all of your boiled water to taste like coffee. Regardless you could probably find something lighter in the camping aisle at Wal-Mart.
Seems like you're a bit overprepared for water hauling capacity. Not sure what island (and no need to share), but usually those islands have a few streams on them and plenty of shoreline from which to get water. Five L capacity seems like a lot. In the mountains of the southwest, I generally do fine with 3 L if I know I can get to water every day. I suppose you don't have to fill your bladder full when you're out hunting, and the water bladder might be less of a weight penalty than 3 nalgenes.
Thanks for the feedback. Pillow is out! In regards to water, i forgot to mention this is a two man trip. The thought was go in with just the nalgene full and the bladder empty. Then fill the bladder from the lake and leave it at camp. I will want something for instant coffee so i will keep my eyes open for a lighter alternative.

sfc2140

FNG
If you are planning on backpacking in an weight and space will be key. 7 days worth of food and everything you have listed there adds up quickly. Then adding your rifle with optics your adding another 10lbs. I'm not familiar with your sleeping bag but I have had synthetic bags in the past and they do not pack down nearly as well as a down bag. I agree with the above statement about the pillow using your extra layered clothing will work great there and if your bag has a pillow slot then no need for a bag.

In my opinion I would make sure the first aid kit makes it into your pack. I would also hav a small container to carry extra set of batteries for your flash light/ headlamp. It probably goes unsaid but don't forget hygiene i.e. Tooth brush and paste. Sometimes the most obvious items are the easiest to forget.

If you are a coffee drinker, 7 days is a long time to go with out having that comfort. I would pick up a snow peak titanium cup and try to fit it inside your camp stove or fitting it over the top of the stove. If you are unable to marry the two together then use the cup to hold other items like batteries, water filter or anything else you can fit inside. Don't waste space.

If you are a two man team think about adding a small hatchet to one of your gear list to chop firewood up. Also not being familiar with your hunting area, are you hunting heavy timber or are you glassing open mountain sides. If you are going to be glassing for long periods having your Binos on a tripod is a game changer.

Good luck on your hunt.

Btaylor

WKR
For a power core, I got the Anker 20100 for my CO elk trip and it has more than enough juice for your hunt to keep phone and probably at least one other rechargeable item like a light fully powered.

OP
M

michihunt

Lil-Rokslider
If you are planning on backpacking in an weight and space will be key. 7 days worth of food and everything you have listed there adds up quickly. Then adding your rifle with optics your adding another 10lbs. I'm not familiar with your sleeping bag but I have had synthetic bags in the past and they do not pack down nearly as well as a down bag. I agree with the above statement about the pillow using your extra layered clothing will work great there and if your bag has a pillow slot then no need for a bag.

In my opinion I would make sure the first aid kit makes it into your pack. I would also hav a small container to carry extra set of batteries for your flash light/ headlamp. It probably goes unsaid but don't forget hygiene i.e. Tooth brush and paste. Sometimes the most obvious items are the easiest to forget.

If you are a coffee drinker, 7 days is a long time to go with out having that comfort. I would pick up a snow peak titanium cup and try to fit it inside your camp stove or fitting it over the top of the stove. If you are unable to marry the two together then use the cup to hold other items like batteries, water filter or anything else you can fit inside. Don't waste space.

If you are a two man team think about adding a small hatchet to one of your gear list to chop firewood up. Also not being familiar with your hunting area, are you hunting heavy timber or are you glassing open mountain sides. If you are going to be glassing for long periods having your Binos on a tripod is a game changer.

Good luck on your hunt.
Thanks for the insight. I am slowly making my list smaller. We are both engineers so we might be over thinking it a little! In regards to hunt style, it is all timber with just couple hundred feet of elevation so not much glassing.

Netherman

WKR
We are both engineers so we might be over thinking it a little!

I've got the same engineering OCD when it comes to planning. I made some serious excel spreadsheets with weights and all kinds of other irrelevant data. Anymore, me and my hunting buddy get packed a day early and audit each others pack to make sure we didn't miss anything.

Based on the size of the islands in MI I would err of the side of taking all the extra/questionable items and use this trip to see what you do and do not need. Since you won't be packing everything around every day I wouldn't worry too much about weight. Use this trip to figure out what you essentials, nice to haves, and not needed items are.

One thing that I didn't see on your list was food. I see you have a stove so I'm assuming mountain house or similar will be on the menu. My advice here would be against more than 1 per day. On my first backpacking trip I was impressed at how light and calorie dense my food list was with 2+ mountain houses per day. That was a terrible experience and as a result have lost any love for mountain house chili mac and beef.

agreed too much clothing.
but, i wouldnt ditch my small inflatable pillow. i went from using clothes in a stuff sack to a cocoon inflatable pillow, made a WORLD of difference for how i slept.
weighs a couple of ounces, and if you just uninflate it and and put it in your sleeping bag before that goes into your pack, you wont even notice it.

If are able to use them full, those pillows are fine. I don't like them that full because they're too tall. Half-full, unless you put your head right in the middle of them, they'll squirt out from beneath your head because all of the air squishes to the side away from your head.

Are you being dropped off or leaving the boat docked/moored? Either way since you're not swimming it take an extra tote and leave it in the boat or just off the beach. That way if you think you need it you can go back for it. Anyhow that's how I'd do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
M

michihunt

Lil-Rokslider
Are you being dropped off or leaving the boat docked/moored? Either way since you're not swimming it take an extra tote and leave it in the boat or just off the beach. That way if you think you need it you can go back for it. Anyhow that's how I'd do it.

We are taking the ferry. In regards to bringing a tote, my buddy and i were just talking about this. Might be an option.

OP
M

michihunt

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks again everyone. I packed my bag and took out some of the redundant clothing items as noted above. The pack came in at 42 lbs with most of the food but not the rifle. More than i like but i will probably try it. Where we are hoping to hint is a 3.5 mile hike on relativley flat ground. I am excited to treat this as a good learning experience!

This is a good idea, Have some more comfort items and some potatoes, can of beans, doz eggs etc for comfort food. 7 days camping in those temps can wear on you, A hot bacon and egg breakfast after a particularly long cold night might be a needed moral booster. But I'm from Texas and I'm scared of the cold.

Big Nasty

Lil-Rokslider
agreed too much clothing.
but, i wouldnt ditch my small inflatable pillow. i went from using clothes in a stuff sack to a cocoon inflatable pillow, made a WORLD of difference for how i slept.
weighs a couple of ounces, and if you just uninflate it and and put it in your sleeping bag before that goes into your pack, you wont even notice it.

Exactly !!! I have my backpack gear dialed in and run without much luxury's and pretty lite, But i did add an inflatable pillow at 2.5ozs to my gear this yr, its a game changer.