Back Country Gear review

I will be adding to this post as I find the time.

The purpose is to introduce possible new to back country type hunters to certain products I felt and discovered were good or bad options to what is out there and how they performed in real world situations.
These are my findings, based on my hunts, in my situations. Others may have different opinions and that is totally fine, but these are my discoveries from my honest stand point.

In this review will be protein bars to back packs and most everything in between.
I hope to have time to post up pics, for those who don't like to read.
lol

This thread is not exclusively my tool, so feel free to post up your discoveries.
Some of what may be obvious to you, wont be to a new back country hunter.

I hunted Idaho this year and met 2 guys coming out heavy who were from the mid west and on their first time back country elk hunt. The one guy had been to Rokslide, but only lurked. Still he gathered valuable in info to help them be successful. So please share what you may deem useful.

So here we go:

In the best interest of staying up beat and positive I will get the 1 big negative out of the way first....
The only item I remember I totally hated and actually removed from my daily food pack were the food bars called, "Quest Bars"
Amazon.com : Quest Nutrition Protein Bar Adventure Variety Pack. Low Carb Meal Replacement Bar w/ 20g+ Protein. High Fiber, Soy-Free, Gluten-Free (12 Count) : Grocery & Gourmet Food

I ordered the variety pack. Honestly they tasted like carpenters glue. Well ok they tasted how carpenter glue smells. Nasty. I pulled them crappy pieces of garbage out of each of my daily food packs.
I would trade all I have for 1 square of toilet paper.
Even the ants never came to eat the half quest bar and half vomit I released half way thru my first sample bite.

Fortunately for me, I tested and tasted all my food items as well as other gear items prior to heading into the back country.
If not I would've at the least had small packs of carpet glue ready, once melted down, to repair my boots or something similar.

Attachments

• quest bar.jpg
    quest bar.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:
OP
mfllood3800
Sticking to the food group of back country gear, I loved the "Bobo Bars"
Amazon.com: Bobo's Oat Bars All Natural, Gluten Free 6 Flavor Variety, 2 of Each Flavor ( Original, Coconut, Peanut Butter, Chocolate Chip, Cranberry Orange, Cinnamon Raisin ) 3 oz Bars, Pack of 12:

I ordered the variety pack and did not find one I didn't love. These are by far some of the best food bars I have tried to date. I rate these even better than Cliff bars

bobo bars.jpg

You will need lots of water to wash these down as they are dense and can dry out your mouth by the time you woof one down.

Last edited:
OP
mfllood3800
Food group continued- well sort of:
Ever eat a Mtn House and use those nice cool long titanium light weight cool kid type spoons? Well I used to use the cheap one that was all unpolished. My food stuck to the part you put in your mouth. Had to use a carbide grinder to get the dried noodles and such off it.
Well I ordered a spoon with a "Polished" end and it was perfect- no more dried food from last hunt stuck to the mouth end of the spoon.

Mine was from FinessCity off Amazon
Amazon.com : finessCity Longest Titanium Long Handled Spoon it's 9.65 inch/245mm Long Spoon with Bigger Polished Bowl, Titanium Spoon comes with Waterproof Case : Sports & Outdoors

I will edit this post with a pic.
e6b21a77f8c7bf91d06437c8f0989cf3.jpg

Several Mtn House meals were harmed by this spoon, and notice, no iron hard particles left on the business end of the spoon

OP
mfllood3800
We all plan to haul out meat and for elk want a big cooler. But a big Yeti or other high end cooler might just be out of our budget. Let's face it, we want more than the $200 45 size cooler, after all, we are bringing out more than the heart right?

I took a chance on a Coleman 120 qt marine grade cooler.
Amazon.com : Coleman Coastal Xtreme Series Marine Portable Cooler, 120 Quart : Sports & Outdoors

My thoughts were, Just get a big one and fill it with ice, and the shear quantity of ice alone will keep it cold for a week.
Well I put 6 bags of ice in this Coleman 120 Qt Marine grade Cooler. It was not even half full, yet that ice lasted 7 days with ice in each bag yet to spare, and not jst a cube or two,, but like 1/3 to 1/2 of each bag still with frozen goodies.

Heres the great part, I picked these up for $89 off Amazon on Sale. Now there is another "Marine" grade version that is around $300 or so, mine were not these. If I was to pay that much I would get a different brand. These 2 I did get have metal hnges, and cheap mounted handles. But I was aware of that and didn't try to pick the thing up full of ice. I did slide it around in the back of the truck and it was just fine.
My daily temps were 75-80 degrees. These were in back of my truck with a shell on it, but not tucked away in the shade ever. It did cool down at night to 20 degrees- so that certainly helped.
I ordered 2. Why you ask? Well cause I was hunting deer and elk.
A 120 is more than enough for a boned out elk. A cape how ever would push its limit if also filled with boned out meat.

I personally think this a great option for us on a budget
55fb1ea3ac2585985ca096f4a1a31a6a.jpg
aca4dd2127f1ae334f9e3fac0d54ac02.jpg
b1427b696073c7388a52f63e86aacda9.jpg

Last edited:
OP
mfllood3800
Trekking poles once you use them you will never go without them

I needed a compact set lightweight but sturdy and cheap and I found them

Paria Outdoor Products
$60
Fold up tiny
Has carbon to reduce weight

Fully adjustable
Great handle, but then has additional padded part below the cork grip which I found useful when I use the straps with pressure rather than gripping with my hand to help with hand fatigue they have plenty of padding well below the normal cork handle position.

These come with a snow collar and a rubber boot but where I was at I was Finding I like the pointed part best plus I lost one of the rubber boots in some thick downfall when I almost cartwheeled, a lot of pressure was put on this trekking pole at that gymnastic maneuver and it did not Bend or break it is still perfectly straight, pretty awesome
4e780b4e64e66ffbdf0081a3e3c8316a.jpg
96ea055552ef8c7378615d6e2ad79f91.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
mfllood3800
Battery Packs to charge, well everything now a days.
I refuse to pay $100 for a 10,000 mah battery pack in todays tech world.
I started buying RavPower packs about 5 years ago.

If I remember right these were 18000 Mah capacity or even more.
Well I never had an issue with these old ones, so when I discovered a 32,000 size I was all over it like Robby on a 200" Muley.

I read about these newer ones having issues.
They would get cold and deplete storage capacity quickly.
They would charge, discharge and recharge, depleting capacity.

But I had such good luck with the others.
I didn't have an issue, not one, with this new one.
I left it out at night, on the ground, in my floorless shelter as it plummeted to 20 degrees. I did not notice any depletion. I charged my Droid (Gal 7) 8 times. I still had 1/2 of total capacity left (according to the led bar indicating capacity).

This has a smart port which auto detects your device, and charges accordingly.
I would arrive back at the tipi at dark,, phone would be at 30-50%, and it would fully charge in less than 30 minutes- to me that's freaky fast.
I never had to leave phone on all night charging, running the chance of it charging, discharging, etc, as some reported. Now if I had to wait 2 hrs for it to charge, I may have left it on all night as I was usually to bed soon after I got back to camp.

The price of these are super cheap, the quality super good, the weight is standard with any out there.
I believe this huge one weighed just over 1.6 lb.
6c8e690a716ec4ac49c57af606b18c43.jpg
63a28cef235245c05447298078cee534.jpg
2a3f70b42025f1d225c980065b6019cb.jpg

I will add, All of my electronics now has rechargeable type protocols
I carry no extra batteries for anything

Phone, 2 head lamps, tipi light, steripen, Garmin in Reach. I'm probably forgetting other stuff I charge.

Last edited:
OP
mfllood3800
One of my favorite new gear pieces was my Western Mountaineering bag I picked up used on here. It was a 0 degree bag. I was warm as could be in the teens with no stove. But getting up in the early AM was a chore. Let me rephrase that, getting out of my warm WM bag was a chore :)
So the Lite Outdoors stove was erected.
But I feel the WM bag was effective partly due to the sleeping pad I picked up on sale.

I had previously been using the cheap but good quality pads form Klymit.
My old pad at a wide 30" was not an insulated pad though.
So for this year I opted for the Exped Synmat 7 UL
Amazon.com : Exped SynMat 7 Pump Sleeping Pad : Camping Flatware : Sports & Outdoors

This has the Snozzle pump bag set up to air the pad up- too cool
it takes a little to get used to that but well worth it.
It is a heavier pad (2.7) than my uninsulated Klymit, at and not as wide, but I never had an issue with the narrower design.
I certainly enjoyed the insulation.
I laid Tyvek ground cloth down to protect the pad. It never leaked nor needed any air added in 7 days. For me it is also more comfy than the Klymit. Even though the Klymit is also thicker.
I got this on sale for just over $100 on some good Friday sale.
746ad38298c604ecf835735460879975.jpg
1dfd258616d330267d73e116ff3b8866.jpg
f38ed726a302ffea339db23d2bee42f4.jpg

Last edited:
OP
mfllood3800
My pillow.
I tried the puffy in a dry sack route. I tried the Klymit inflatable route.
Listen- I want to sleep, not toss and turn for 2 nights straight and then finally sleep on the 3rd night from pure exhaustion.

My pillow is from Thermarest
Amazon.com: Therm-a-Rest Compressible Travel Pillow for Camping, Backpacking, Airplanes and Road Trips, Denim, Large: 16” x 23”: Sports & Outdoors

This is bigger, more bulky than most and definitely takes up extra room in the pack. But I can sleep. To me that is worth it.

It is important to wash the pillow before using it, and let it fluff itself up. If you don't it will be a flat piece of crap.
It doubles in size after washing it and air drying it
f5159ee5561a1d4648b71f8a9e48cc2e.jpg
1996c0d605a517964f6d7abb08213ba4.jpg

This pillow has been on winter camp trips as well as Aug, Sept and Oct hunts. And I am the guy that hates some pillows in certain Hotel chains. This thing is money if you are the type that needs a good sleep system to be comfortable.

Last edited:
OP
mfllood3800
My Tipi light:
this thing is totally cool.
Amazon.com : Sunlight Solar LED Collapsible Lantern with 800mAh Rechargeable USB Power Bank : Sports & Outdoors
I hang it with some bow string serving from my tipi line I set up. I can reach it from the bag to turn it on and off.
It is rechargeable, also can charge other devices off of it, how cool is that, talk about double purpose.
It also has a solar panel to recharge itself.
I never had to do that though, not even in 7 day hunts.
It has 3 settings. Low, bright and flashing.
It compacts for packing as well as a flashlight. then it also opens up for more of a lantern type light.

People it is $13.
C'mon, throw it away if it isn't for you or use it as a stocking stuffer, but I promise you will like it
95d49857a69f8e08d5329f5754428151.jpg
33dfafdef3b1c22466b05b710ba05381.jpg
7eacf52de24ba2bdf329453d500face0.jpg
5bdf89bf2a0dbfd9aece2e5678ec7d40.jpg

OP
mfllood3800
Camp shoes:

I had zero blisters this year.
I logged over 75 miles in 2 hunts spanning 4 weeks, All at altitude in Utah and Idaho chasing elk.
I use Crispi boots and that was no doubt a plus. But I take my boots off at night right away and slip into my crocks from Dawgs.
These things are a must. Do you get up at night and pee? Use these, unless you are the weirdo who pees inside your floorless- nasty !!!!
And I believe air is heavier than these things- they weigh nothing, let your feet rest, breathe and recuperate so they are fresh each day.

No throwing on those wet boots, with laces dragging behind tripping you up, just to go get water, go release water (pee) or what ever is needed outside of the tent. I cooked a grouse outside on a fire in these. I got water for my 10 L bladder in these. I went out and pooped in these- sorry people, just keeping it real up in here, up in here.
6ce9ccd79eaacc735bfff52b255d7461.jpg
01533a52e60519762bf4de54ea8379aa.jpg

Crossing streams these are invaluable.
Hang em on the pack or cram in it.
I used a Kifaru Fulcrum and stuffed these in one of the spotter type pouches on the side

Last edited:
I also had really good luck with the Rav 26000 charger. Weighs in at 19 oz. I believe. Also cannot recommend camp shoes enough, I brought mine on my day hunts with me even to give my feet a break during lunch or glassing if I needed.

Sent from my SM-G930R6 using Tapatalk

OP
mfllood3800
The great shelter debate...
Weight, size, foot print, height, cost all important factors in determining what is "right" for you.
For some weight on an airplane is critical, and for others it comes down to how much can you carry or want to carry.

I have got to the point where my packs are heavy and I also feel when I remove something and it gets lighter, maybe its just mental, I don't know. This shelter for it's size only comes at a minimal weight cost compared to something smaller, so to me it is worth it, and I'll explain why later.

For me weight is only part of the over all equation. A very important part for sure, but not always a solo determining part of my decisions.

I hunt out of a Redcliffe from Seek Outside.
Here are there reported specs:

Weight:
Canopy - 55 oz / 3 lb 7 oz
Complete weight - canopy, stakes, carbon pole - 78 oz / 4 lb 14 oz
Dual screens add 8 oz
Dimensions:
Height 6' 10″
102" by 156" footprint (corner to corner), 130" by 178" center to center
132 sq ft
SIZE GUIDE:
Sleeps 6 without stove
Sleeps 3 with stove
Sleeps 2-3 ultralight short cots with a stove
Need one size smaller? See the 4 Person Tipi
Need one size bigger? See the 8 Person Tipi
Similar size in a tipi shape? See the 6 Person Tipi

I normally hunt solo. Why did I get a 6 man tipi? What's wrong with me?
Well it is no way a 6 man, other than in an emergency setting. Can you imagine 6 stinky guys on a 7 day hunt with no shower all crammed in this thing. How about 4 or 3 ? How about 2 in a 2 man?
No one thinks about this aspect.

As far as size, price, weight etc, this Redcliffe just fit what I was looking for

https://seekoutside.com/redcliff-1/

I looked at what if I need to set this up in a hurry? A storm is minutes away. The wind is ripping?

This tipi is a hybrid of sorts. It has a simplistic rectangular foot print. Hammer 4 stakes in ground, run up pole and get in out of weather. Set remaining stakes and guys later when possible. yet it sheds wind and snow due to its "tipi" pattern. See pics

redcliffe.jpg

I like to walk in a tipi/tent and not have to duck. So height was also a consideration. This thing can get tall for you BB players. I also wanted 2 doors, this has that. Why 2 doors? the most common answer is for 2 or 3 or 4 guys to access outside w/o tripping over each other. But have you ever had a stove smoke you out? The spark arrestor gets plugged up and doesn't draft the smoke but rather fills the shelter? 2 doors allows quick exhaust of that eye destroying smoke. It has a sod skirt, can be mounted off ground, has great ventilation, and stove jack already built in.

I'll be honest, no advertised tipi is what it says in the real world. A 4 man is actually a 2 man. A 6 man is really a 3 man. You get the idea. Add in a stove and a pile of wood, and you reduce the man capacity even more.
I find that this Redcliffe is perfect for 2 guys, and all their gear and a stove, pile of wood.
You wouldn't find yourself breathing their air space, and trust me after 7 days, you don't want to be.

The Redcliffe is a perfect 2 man shelter and would still be ok on an extended hunt with 3 guys, as long as you 3 guys had no personal issues already brewing that could be exposed due to close proximity camping.

OP
mfllood3800
What stove works for me?
What do you want in a stove?
Size does matter.....

I use the Lite outdoors stove from Brennan He is a great guy and goes all out to make sure you are happy.
LiteOutdoors - Lightweight Titanium Stoves

So why the LO stove for me?
Weight, ease of set up and door size were what drove me to this stove over the others.

This is super light like most out there.
Here are the specs:
18″ Stove
Weight (with 8′ stove pipe) – 2 lbs 8 oz.
Diameter – 8.25″
Fire Box Volume – 960 cubic inches
Stove Pipe Diameter – 2.5″

I wanted a stove that had a big door to allow cramming wood in their easy as possible. This LO has a big door. See pic below for reference

I also wanted a stove that can house some good size (length) branches that are common place in dead fall areas. I wanted a 18" to allow longer branches to be used. They are easier to break than 12" sizes when using your foot on an anvil trying to stomp it to needed size. Try it, you will instantly understand what I am referring to.

Cost and packable size is great on this stove as well.

Burn time?
Obviously the bigger the stove, the better quality of wood, the longer you get.

I got about 20-30 minutes of burn and extreme heat omission. I still had coals the next morning after 6 hrs.

This also has options for forest safety like spark arrestor and a baffle. I have both. I have had my spark arrestor plug up on me and smoke me out. I need to be more efficient in maintenance. Some wood just makes a greasier mess than others.
This last time, it was around 10:00 pm, I was done eating, feeling warm and fuzzy, laying in my bag and I heard a "puff, Puff, puff". I looked up and thru the walls of my tipi I could see flames shooting out the stove pipe top. I had a chimney fire. My wood was extremely oily. My baffle required cleaning every other day.

I also want a stove set up that is quick, with minimal parts to lose.
After the initial set up and "burn in ", this thing slaps together easily.

I will add I requested additional long all thread bolts that secure the front and rear end plates to the stove body. The reason was to eliminate all smoke sneaking thru any gaps as stuff warps over time. Brendan sent me that at no cost. 3 bolts are efficient, but I warped my front end cap utilizing the baffle set which places the stove pipe hole to the front rather than the rear, and I was getting smoke coming out. Though minor, I didn't like it, so he also sent me a new front end cap. The guy is awesome to deal with.

I can place 2 of my 4 stove body all threaded bolts close to the stove pipe hole and place a pan on them. So even though this is round, it can also be used in the same manner as a square box stove to cook on or boil water in a pan.
I am sold on the LO stoves

Attachments

• loutdoorstove.jpg
    loutdoorstove.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 121
OP
mfllood3800
Ah water intake needs....
Nalgene or bladder?

BOTH !!!
I use a Nalgene and a steripen most of the time.
My Nalgene has the Human Gear "wide mouth" option added so I can drink from it w/o wearing what I am trying to consume.
Amazon.com : Humangear cap cap wide mouth replacement cap : Nalgene Drink Top : Sports & Outdoors

Why do I also bring a bladder then?
For camp water yes, but also for that first hike in not knowing where water is.
I like to go into a new area with Nalgene full, and my 6 l bladder full. This allows me to hike miles to locate a good water source near a good camp spot.
I just watched a YT vid on 4 guys in Co who ran out of water and had to be air lifted out. I don't want that to happen to me. Springs dry up, drainages dry up, you just cant trust google maps or inside info from the year before.

So I use a beefy MSR Drom bag for a bladder. Tough as they come.
I installed the quick attach adapters to fill in the pack and connect to other dirty bags and or larger filtering systems if desired.
Amazon.com : SAWYER QUICK DISCONNECT ADAPTER SET (Two Male, one Female) : Camping Water Filters : Sports & Outdoors
see pics below for hook up

Here is my larger 10l camp bladder with built in filter system.
Amazon.com : Katadyn Base Camp Pro Water Filter, 10-Liter : Sports & Outdoors

I also attached quick connects to this to drain from this to my 6l if need for a day hike in dry unknown areas.

I use a Steripen Ultra with rechargeable battery- flawless so far (only used on 2 hunts)
Amazon.com : SteriPen Ultra USB Rechargeable UV Personal Water Purifier for Camping, Backpacking, Emergency Preparedness and Travel : Sports & Outdoors

- I still have my old steripen the, adventurer, it is still working too, but doesn't come along. I wont pack a back up. I have the one steripen, the bladder and aqua tabs to cover me. I can also boil water the old fashioned way if needed.
3c7042f297909f04eaf3979360e42a61.jpg
a35d7531f6ab3fb911ab1044141bec22.jpg
a16aaae30bd6eaa8b73ebff7af2f1e1c.jpg
d718645251042eb61165fa3cf4c341ec.jpg

OP
mfllood3800
Maybe the most important gear item often over looked or left behind due to weight.....
Wet Wipes

a must for anything over 2 day with miles on foot in hot weather.

If you poop, you wanna wipe, get Wet Wipes.
Not only do they help with manly diaper rash, they also help clean up hands after field dressing that elk or deer or grouse or fish....

If you're worried about the weight, pre dry them out, you can always add water to them later to rehydrate them.
These are critical and never leave my kill kit and or camp kit possibles pouch.
cbf32bb11187e21c87ad31945228ff2d.jpg

OP
mfllood3800
Haha
I bet
But at least its helping you to not waste money, rather you're investing it
;)

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk