Hatch Outwest Bipod

mcr-85

WKR
I bought this bipod a couple months ago and figured I'd post up an ongoing review of it. When I bought it I couldn't find many reviews on it so here goes one.

I was looking for a nicer bipod for shooting prone than my cloned Harris type bipods. I was considering the Extreme Outer Limits bipod until I found this one. It has so many features that I decided to buy it.

It attaches via a picatinny rail. I put a rail on the stock of my 270 WSM and on the stock of my .22-250. On my .22-250 I had to drill it and install a t-nut for the rear screw. I also got a swivel stud picatinny rail from Caldwell to move between a couple other guns that I don't want to permanently put a rail on.

It can be used from prone to kneeling which is awesome. The legs stow forward or backward and lock at 45° and at 90°. The legs also spread out wider to get lower if you need. They extend long enough for me to shoot kneeling.

I've got a couple cow elk tags and 2 mule deer buck tags and a whole fall and winter of coyote hunting to put this bipod to work.

So far I've shot with it at targets, rocks and I shot 1 coyote while kneeling with the bipod fully extended.

Here are a few photos. If anyone has any questions let me know and I'll try to answer them if I can.
c58afa442b8e12c00d47f5358e63c01d.jpg
970c8ffe17544fc8e1c51f14ae3d0f47.jpg
96cd62125266110325ea26c01ec1e7c9.jpg
fae615e7b8f3cd05b179e28b843704b9.jpg
ea96d3f352d70c8378ec9b5ad5ff4f69.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

OP
mcr-85

mcr-85

WKR
What's the specs on this bipod?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
I come up with 19.5 oz so it's not lightweight.
Overall length is 14.5"

Measuring to the bottom of the rail:

With the legs locked at 45° forward it ranges approx. from 9.5" high to 19.25" high.

With the legs at 90° it ranges approx. from 12" to 26.5".

With the legs locked at 45° and spread to the wider setting it ranges approx. from 6" to 12".

With the legs at 90° and spread to wider setting it ranges from 7.75" to 16.5".

The legs extend by just pulling the bottom leg. To retract you just pull the bottom collar towards the foot of the leg and push the leg in. The head also swivels so shooting on slopes should be fairly easy. I'll report back on that after I've used it a little more.

I'm not too upset that it isn't lighter. It's built well and I'm willing to pack it for the greater height range vs other bipods.
b8fcdc42d4b0e63e71a7ff5874883728.jpg
04991ada908b5b0aa65c3b8a473be4ab.jpg
7a452dc50ddb822172c07e4a1591e2f6.jpg

Kingston

FNG
Thanks for the review. I have a couple questions I was hoping you’d answer.

1.How’s the connection between the rail mount and the rail. Is it snug or is there slop? The MIM Harris adapter relies on a similar mechanism and there’s no way to take up any of the slop between the rail mount and the rail. I get a little wiggle between it an an Atlas rail. Clamp type connections don’t have this problem.

2. Are spiked feet available or can they be retrofitted?

Last edited:
OP
mcr-85

mcr-85

WKR
1.How’s the connection between the rail mount and the rail. Is it snug or is there slop? The MIM Harris adapter relies on a similar mechanism and there’s no way to take up any of the slop between the rail mount and the rail. I get a little wiggle between it an an Atlas rail. Clamp type connections don’t have this problem.

It fits tight on the 2 rails that I mounted and it was a little too tight on the 1 Caldwell swivel stud adapter rail. I think I tightened down the 2 screws on the Caldwell too much and it spread the little bracket to where it was a touch to wide. I filed the sides down a little on the bracket and it works. As far as the other rails, I purchased them from Hatch Outwest and they fit perfect. Not loose and sloppy and not too difficult to attach the bipod either.

2. Are spiked feet available or can they be retrofitted?

I don't see any spiked feet on their webside. I have not had a bipod with spiked feet and I'm unsure if there is an aftermarket "universal" spiked foot that will work on this or not. I can measure the OD of that bottom section of tubing. I imagine you could pull that rubber foot off and replace it with something else if you wanted but I don't think I want to pull the foot off of mine just to see :D

Last edited:

spdrman

WKR
Any chance you could take a pic of you with it in the sitting and kneeling position? Also if you do how tall are you. I'm 6'2" and hard to find bipods that work well for me sitting
Thanks
Jordan

NorCalFD

FNG
Any update on this thread? Looking into Bipods myself and need to pull the trigger on one here soon for a spring bear hunt...

OP
mcr-85

mcr-85

WKR
Any chance you could take a pic of you with it in the sitting and kneeling position? Also if you do how tall are you. I'm 6'2" and hard to find bipods that work well for me sitting
Thanks
Jordan

Sorry, I didn't see this until now. I haven't got any pics but I'm 6' and when sitting using the bipod hunting coyotes I usually don't have it fully extended. It has enough length for me to sit or kneel, depending on terrain. I love it and will continue using it for big game and coyote hunting.

Any update on this thread? Looking into Bipods myself and need to pull the trigger on one here soon for a spring bear hunt...

I really like it. I like it a lot more than the Harris style. Sorry I don't have more pics or anything to add for now.

NorCalFD

FNG
Sorry, I didn't see this until now. I haven't got any pics but I'm 6' and when sitting using the bipod hunting coyotes I usually don't have it fully extended. It has enough length for me to sit or kneel, depending on terrain. I love it and will continue using it for big game and coyote hunting.

I really like it. I like it a lot more than the Harris style. Sorry I don't have more pics or anything to add for now.

Appreciate the feedback...been going back and forth between the Hatch and the Atlas. Tough to swallow the price tag but once I do, I know it will be well worth the investment.

OP
mcr-85

mcr-85

WKR
Appreciate the feedback...been going back and forth between the Hatch and the Atlas. Tough to swallow the price tag but once I do, I know it will be well worth the investment.

I agree it is a spendy bipod. I have put a rail on my .270 WSM and my .22-250 that are permanent. I have a little caldwell rail that attaches via the sling swivel stud that I can change out to different rifles. Its currently on a 6.5x284. For me, one bipod will work and I don't need to buy another. If I am hunting with my wife I can switch the bipod to either rifle pretty dang quick if need be.

OP
mcr-85

mcr-85

WKR
Another season of using the Hatch Outwest bipod and I'm still loving it.

I used it on my spike bull at 465 yards shooting from the top of a small ridge. It was pretty flat where I shot from, slightly downhill. I was prone and used my bino harness for a rear support.

I used it on my buck at 400ish yards. I ranged him going away at 380 and dialed for 400. The shot was very steep uphill and I was on a sidehill. I extended the left leg ¾ of the way and the right side was compressed all the way. I loosened the lock to pan a little to level out the gun. I was as prone as I could get on that side hill. The bipod adjusted fast and I knocked him down with the first shot. He got up and ran and I put two more in him from the same spot.

I let my niece borrow my gun and she used it for her first buck. Her dad took her into the fields and she shot this buck at 200 yards. My niece is a little thing. With the legs of the bipod on their widest setting it got the gun low enough for her to be comfortable. She shot her buck head on in the chest and took the top of the heart out.

I will continue using the bipod on my 22-250 this year for coyotes. I did order a picatinny rail to put on my Tikka 6.5x284. Currently it has the Caldwell swivel stud adapter and I don't like that near as well as the permanent rail that I have on my other guns.
ab503b655016e74575b7cbf72ef9610b.jpg
4c44c01ddfbec8c5350cb62006897b2e.jpg
a35ecb1cf3d0530218da092fc5394999.jpg
95d04d98841ced956311ffe2cfa78f84.jpg

I will continue using the bipod on my 22-250 this year for coyotes. I did order a picatinny rail to put on my Tikka 6.5x284. Currently it has the Caldwell swivel stud adapter and I don't like that near as well as the permanent rail that I have on my other guns.

Can you elaborate on why you don't like the Caldwell swivel stud adapter as well as the permanent rail? Does it not fit well (slop)? Is it harder to slide on? I saw on your previous post that you had to file it a little to get it on, but once this was done are there reasons you still don't like it as well? I was looking at getting the hatch but using the Cadwell adapter exclusively.

Last edited:
OP
mcr-85

mcr-85

WKR
Can you elaborate on why you don't like the Caldwell swivel stud adapter as well as the permanent rail? Does it not fit well (slop)? Is it harder to slide on? I saw on your previous post that you had to file it a little to get it on, but once this was done are there reasons you still don't like it as well? I was looking at getting the hatch but using the Cadwell adapter exclusively.
I think I just torqued it down to much and it made it too wide. The permanent rail is a lot cleaner and lower profile. You will be ok with the Caldwell if that's what you want to use.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk