Havalon blade falling off

The blade on my piranta (stag version) fell off 3x while breaking down a deer. The last time the blade ended up somewhere in the gut pile and I Opted to leave it there and finished up with my fixed blade. I am hoping it was a bad blade. Anyone else had this problem?

Hoh Down

FNG
No - I’ve broken blades, but not had them simply fall off. Did you have the blade pulled all the way forward into the locked position?

OP
Desk Jockey
I put it back on twice. I assume I had it right at least one time.

I am going to swap in a new blade and hope that solves it.

Bl704

WKR
Only time I've had them come off is if I try to stab/poke the blade straight in (on the point) v slicing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

bbrown

WKR
Usually only happens to me when the blade has a fine crack in the top side above the opening where the blade locks into the handle (usually from prying...) which allows it to pop free with any pressure. At first glance its hard to see the crack in the blade but if if the blade comes off thats the first place I check and its usually the culprit.

But I have also had it come off when its really gummed up with fat and hair so the blade isn't getting seated all the way.

Gr8bawana

WKR
The blade on my piranta (stag version) fell off 3x while breaking down a deer. The last time the blade ended up somewhere in the gut pile and I Opted to leave it there and finished up with my fixed blade. I am hoping it was a bad blade. Anyone else had this problem?

I feel sorry for whatever animal makes a meal of the gut-pile.

Time to switch knives. I have the outdoor research replaceable blade knife, and have never had a problem with the blades.

Never had a blade fall off of mine. I've only broke down 2 deer and 2 antelope in my short career though.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

B4U

FNG
Go through 100's of the disposable blades every year [Taxidermist], I have had batches of blades that were not machined/cut correctly, loose fitting/falling off. That being said, I switched to Tyto, and have had LESS problems.

jmez

WKR
Have you used it much? Sometimes the blade receiver isn't machine quite correctly either and the blades won't lock in properly.

OP
Desk Jockey
Have you used it much? Sometimes the blade receiver isn't machine quite correctly either and the blades won't lock in properly.

That was deer number 4 for that knife. It was opening day so I can’t recall if that was a fresh blade or the one from last year. Now I gotta go shoot another one to test it out. Oh well.

OP
Desk Jockey
Not sure. I replaced it with a 60a.

I am pleased report that I went out today and got another deer. New blade performed flawlessly so I am chalking it up to a bad blade and moving on.