Favorite Back Country Hatchet

Trial153

WKR
Used a GB hunters axe for years till I gave it to a great moose guide who took a liking to it. Since then I replaced it with a GB outdoor Axe to save some weight. Jury is still out on it. I am eyeballing another hunters axe in the meantime

I will throw in a vote for the Gerber gator combo axe II. The 15 inch version with the saw in the handle. Made by fiskars. That saw is great for small trimming and it is capable enough on ribs and pelvises to aid in game butchering. 26oz with sheath.

boom

WKR
i carried my older Wetterlings hatchet once. never used it that much.

it is a straight razor as far as hatchets go. i nicked myself pounding in a tent stake when the sheath shook off..i was an idiot. i bled a lot!!

i also have the GB small forest axe..which is only chopping chicken heads off and breaking down my Christmas tree to fit in the green bin. also a straight razor.

Had a GB Hunter's Axe. The rounded poll (used to assist skinning) was all but useless for pounding anything. I sold it and got a GB Small Forest Axe which I think is the best hatchaxe (my term) I've ever carried. Stake pounding, rib chopping, wood splitting, de-limbing, brush clearing and other campsite chores are the uses I give it. Formidable weapon if ever needed.

MTarrowflinger

Lil-Rokslider
Had a GB Hunter's Axe. The rounded poll (used to assist skinning) was all but useless for pounding anything. I sold it and got a GB Small Forest Axe which I think is the best hatchaxe (my term) I've ever carried. Stake pounding, rib chopping, wood splitting, de-limbing, brush clearing and other campsite chores are the uses I give it. Formidable weapon if ever needed.

Same one I carry and love it.

I love my Gransfors Bruks Small Forest Axe. I take it backpacking, but not hunting yet. The wildlife hatchet looks ideal for that.

Battleguy

Banned
I love my Gransfor Bruk wildlife hatchet, but I have never backpacked with it (and probably never will). I believe the outdoor axe is a fairly new hatchet, as it wasn't available when I got mine. I did hold one earlier this year and thought it felt good, though. They also have the small hatchet that weighs 300 grams. You can't really go wrong with the brand, but there are other options. Husqvarna makes good hatchets at a lower price. I guess the choice really depends on what you plan to do with and your budget.

nodakian

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I will throw in a vote for the Gerber gator combo axe II. The 15 inch version with the saw in the handle. Made by fiskars. That saw is great for small trimming and it is capable enough on ribs and pelvises to aid in game butchering. 26oz with sheath.

Here's another Gerber vote. I carry it everywhere, even on day hikes. It isn't suitable as a wedge for splitting wood or felling trees, but it does hatchet tasks just fine, and it's light enough to carry while backpacking.

mcseal2

WKR
I am another satisfied user of the GB small forest. Mine has been used in Wyoming, Kansas, Alaska, and Canada. It's a great tool with enough weight in the head and length to the handle to be more efficient chopping than a smaller hatchet. Mine is about 35oz with sheath I think.

I recently picked up the GB outdoor axe also. I have not used it much yet. If I get to debating if I should take an axe or not I'll likely take that one. It's 21oz with it's sheath. It's plenty for driving tent stakes and getting kindling to fit in the tipi's stove.

I don't often pack one on my back but will in the vehicle or boat. When I head out on a trip though the GB small forest is in the UTV kit, and my full size Wetterlings axe is in the truck toolbox. I have a canvas sheath that holds the small forest axe, a folding bow saw, and a bigger knife that I throw in the bed of the UTV. That kit comes in handy walking fence in the spring too fixing it up where the trees fell on it. I hunt some spots with some beetle killed trees and need to cut dead trees off trails or roads at times, sometimes even getting back to camp on a windy day down the same path. That country I usually pack a 14" Stihl chainsaw in the vehicle too.