Battery packs

Gobbler36

WKR
Just charging phone, in reach and maybe a head lamp? Is the dark energy enough or overkill and how are these anker chargers? Durability wise are they good enough and do they get fully charged each time, I read a lot of reviews where the goal zero power banks charge the first time and never fully charge again. Keeps me hesitant to go the budget friendly way.

bsnedeker

WKR
I have two different sizes of the Ravpower banks: The big 26000 mAh one for when I go deep, and a smaller one I take on day hikes. I can't say that I've abused them or tried them in really low temps at this point, but they worked great for me on my 9 day elk hunt in September.

arwhntr

Lil-Rokslider
If I can't bring a lightweight solar charger (overcast skies) the Anker 10000 is awesome. It's as lightweight as they come and (knock on wood) I've never had a single issue. ;)

I've used the Rav Power for years (4). I have not had any issue other than one (older version) fully charged my phone, then began to discharge it. I caught this happening and unplugged it and replugged in and all was fine.

The newer ones have an Ismart port which is a great port to charge from. There is also a 2A port that quickly charges phones.
I hunted in low 20* temps and high teens, in Idaho, never had an issue with the cold deleting storage, even with battery pack laying on Tyvek exposed.. Just be aware that all lithium type cells will be effected by severe cold.

For the price, these Rav Power banks are worth it.

The only reason for me to bring my Solar panel is if I don't have a vehicle at a base camp. If I am hiking in a few miles for 3-7 days, with camp on my back and a truck parked at the trail head, I leave the solar panel out of my system, and just bring the Rav Powers.
If I was a week or more in the bush, dropped off by float plane, with no power sources available, I would consider the solar panel.
I will add, every electronics I use is rechargeable, so for me the power banks are key, as I don't have to carry any extra batteries(AA or AAA)
But that's just my system- others may vary.

Spoonman

WKR