Deer sled options?

Got a whitetail last week and it was not far off a trail I could get an ATV on but the terrain was bad enough to make me think there is a better way for when I don’t quarter in the field.

I am looking into adding one of these to the truck box for non backpack hunting.

Eastern white tails. Generally 150 pounds or less. I am thinking something roll up, non rigid to make it easy to store and transport to the kill site. I hav been looking at the roll up and foldables but don’t know anything about them.

Idea, thoughts and suggestions?

nodakian

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
My buddy and I dragged a lot of deer and a couple elk with a roll-ups, and I keep one around for when the game cart won't do the job. They're light enough that we carried them everywhere while hunting the coulees in central MT. They're great on dry ground, better yet on damp, and greased lightning on snow. We would give them a kick at the top of a hill and watch them go like rockets to the bottom. We'd put the critter in head forward, one guy would pull, and the other guy would hold a back leg vertical--sometimes with a stick tied on to reduce back strain--so the critter was riding pretty much on its spine.

Shredded one on bad rocks in a drainage bottom in the mountains, but that was just us using the wrong tool for the job.

Crotalus

Lil-Rokslider
Used a jet sled to drag my ladder stand into the woods in September. It worked pretty well for no snow. I used one of those cheap deer dragging shoulder harnesses attached to the pull rope. Ill probably drag a normal sized deer without the sled, i cant see the point in walking back to get the sled then back out for the deer when i can just drag the deer out on the first trip. A bigger deer or a bear will most likely go in the sled, that would be worth the extra trip.

dog812

WKR
I usually bring a magic carpet. I pre drill holes all around the exterior. De bone the meat, put it in bags then weave paracord around the outer. Works great.
When rolled up it doesn't weigh much, or take up much room in the pack.and cheap.
I usually wind up giving it to other hunters that see me using it when I leave and buying a new one every year.
3e3da9bb576714ca081a229022a0b975.jpg
3a69be05012d1a339b953b0240e128fc.jpg

I usually bring a magic carpet. I pre drill holes all around the exterior. De bone the meat, put it in bags then weave paracord around the outer. Works great.
When rolled up it doesn't weigh much, or take up much room in the pack.and cheap.
I usually wind up giving it to other hunters that see me using it when I leave and buying a new one every year.
This looks pretty amazing, and I love that you can carry it with you. How does it do in deep snow?

PShaw

FNG
I've used a product called The Dead Sled, made by Arc Outdoors. It's basically a heavy-duty piece of plastic with a handle and tie-downs to keep the animal from sliding out. I've only used it three times, two deer and an antelope, the deer were in mountainous terrain and the antelope was in open rocky terrain. I live in SW Idaho so the terrain is very diverse. All three animals were within a mile and a half of a road, that’s why I used the sled instead of packing them out. After three uses, dragging over rough ground it has three small holes rubbed in it so it seems durable. It only weighs about 3.5 lbs. so you can keep it in your pack during the hunt if you want to. Mine stays in the truck during hunting season in case I need to use it. I just did a google search and it looks like it's no longer made but there are other options out there. Glad I bought two when I bought mine. If you google "Arc Outdoor dead sled deer drag" you can see what it looks like. I haven’t needed to use mine a lot but I would recommend them if you can find one, it makes the job easier of getting the animal out. Good luck with your search.

fmyth

WKR
Where do you buy these?

I've used a product called The Dead Sled, made by Arc Outdoors. It's basically a heavy-duty piece of plastic with a handle and tie-downs to keep the animal from sliding out. I've only used it three times, two deer and an antelope, the deer were in mountainous terrain and the antelope was in open rocky terrain. I live in SW Idaho so the terrain is very diverse. All three animals were within a mile and a half of a road, that’s why I used the sled instead of packing them out. After three uses, dragging over rough ground it has three small holes rubbed in it so it seems durable. It only weighs about 3.5 lbs. so you can keep it in your pack during the hunt if you want to. Mine stays in the truck during hunting season in case I need to use it. I just did a google search and it looks like it's no longer made but there are other options out there. Glad I bought two when I bought mine. If you google "Arc Outdoor dead sled deer drag" you can see what it looks like. I haven’t needed to use mine a lot but I would recommend them if you can find one, it makes the job easier of getting the animal out. Good luck with your search.
I looked them up and they are not in business anymore. Domain name is even for sale on Go Daddy. Looks like a slick sled and good price.

@AK Troutbum might have just made me loose $250 or more. Sometimes it’s better to not even open these threads…

OP
Desk Jockey
Looks like a decent product for the price. I like the Amazon review where the guy was disappointed in quality after dragging a deer for 3.5 miles in Utah over dirt and rocks
yeah. That is some high expectations. If you buy it, replace the ropes. Spend a little time bundling the deer Up. It’s a great tool for mid distance when a drag is still preffered to quartering in the field and the distance to the vehicle is further than you want to drag an animal in direct contact with the ground.

Margoot

FNG
Shappell jet sled. Basic black. It's a deer hauling machine. I still have the idea of painting the bottom with some of that slick airboat paint to make it even easier. Right now I just hit it with a little silicone spray lube and it slides like butter over pretty much anything you can walk over.