Tethrd tree saddle vs tree stand

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
Do any of you saddle hunt?

I'm new to this concept. I've used lone wolf climbers for years and didnt know I had any complaints with them until a buddy of mine showed me saddle hunting. Depending on what climbing method I end up deciding on it should be about 1/3 of the weight of my climber, Which has obvious advantages for getting away from the crowd on public land here in Missouri but also should make it a lot more applicable for Western hunting For those of you so inclined. Saddles are basically a lineman's harness stripped down for weight.

Anyway I got the Tethrd mantis saddle that I'm going to try out this season and I'm waiting on their predator platform.

I'm intrested in any tips you guys have since this is new to me.

Live2hunt custom shelters

KHNC

WKR
I have used the Guidos web stand for 6 years now. Love it. Hated the saddles from Tree Saddle. Too close to the tree and very uncomfortable to me. Guidos has the v bar between legs when relaxed to keep you off the tree. i used 3 screw in steps to walk around the tree to shoot. I also use a loop to extend the harness and give a little more mobility.

go4thegusto

WKR
Classified Approved
I have used the Guidos web stand for 6 years now. Love it. Hated the saddles from Tree Saddle. Too close to the tree and very uncomfortable to me. Guidos has the v bar between legs when relaxed to keep you off the tree. i used 3 screw in steps to walk around the tree to shoot. I also use a loop to extend the harness and give a little more mobility.

I agree with TS assessment above. I hated them and sold them. Ended up hauling basically the same weight as a light treestand like a Lone Wolf. More comfort, better mobility and flexibility in a stand for me.

I helped test and develop the Mantis saddle. I've hunted from them for the last five years. There IS a learning curve and it takes some practice to get your setup dialed to fit YOU and it takes some leg conditioning. I've been using the Mantis saddle so far this season and love it. My full saddle setup weighs less than three pounds. Total setup with climbing method and camera gear is right at 20lbs total. This isn't something you jump right into and expect perfect results, it takes some effort, but it's totally worth it to me and how I hunt.

Shadow14

WKR
I too have become interested in saddle hunting and found this website to be a trove of information. saddlehunter.com

bowkill02

Lil-Rokslider
I used one for sever years, several years ago. What I did because I was hunting a big patch of private ground was in the pre season I would set up several trees with pegs or steps so all I would he to do is roll in and climb. I never carried ladder section. Back then I couldn't afford the lone wolf style sections so I avoided hunting unscouted and unprepared sets because of the energy and effort to screw steps Into new trees. They do heve there merit though.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

DWinVA

WKR
This is my first full season using a New Tribe Kestrel saddle and so far I'm really liking it. I shoot a recurve & I feel I have more shooting positions from the saddle than a traditional stand. The past several years I used a combination of a strip downed Summit climber and an old Loc-On limit with Muddy sticks. The Muddy stick with this saddle is definitely lighter and more packable.

The biggest tip I have is practice, practice, practice. Practice climbing, setting up, shooting and coming down.

Good luck and God Bless.

OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
I too have become interested in saddle hunting and found this website to be a trove of information. saddlehunter.com
Ya I've started perusing there a bit too. I figured guys on here might be interested from a western hunting perspective as well because at the weight savings it's pretty reasonable to use sitting on a water hole or wallow.

cvsetter

FNG
Give us an update on how the learning progression is going.i'm been doing some reading on saddle hunter and kicking the ideas around too.probably wait to after the season to start the learning process.

Squirrels

WKR
I tried it a little and gave up. Probably didn't give it enough time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's a bit of a learning curve. Here are some pics of the saddle itself. I'll try to get more as I'm learning with it.
7c82a8ddc9d3225f4d6fa903575559c3.jpg
103001317bdcdcd12e414004cab21d2d.jpg

ethan

WKR
The idea intrigued me, but the though of having to carry in climbing sticks kills it for me. I would rather pack in a LW climber, but I’ve also never tried a saddle. I’ll be following this one

Trial153

WKR
I can see this happening for me. I hate carting in a stand. Any stand. They all suck.

wesfromky

WKR
I hunt from a saddle and like it way more than a stand so far. But, it is also way more complex as far as options and techniques go, so there is a learning and experimenting curve for sure. I used to to climb a bunch, so the rope work part was pretty easy for me to adapt too.

I am moving from sticks to this setup now. Should have it dialed in this weekend.

YouTube

OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
The idea intrigued me, but the though of having to carry in climbing sticks kills it for me. I would rather pack in a LW climber, but I’ve also never tried a saddle. I’ll be following this one
I'll likely be using climbing spikes.

woods89

WKR
Just saw this thread. I have been using a New Tribe Aero Hunter for about five years now. At this point I don't even entertain the thought of going back to stands.

There is a learning curve, so stick it out for a bit. It does require you to think outside the box. One thing I love is that I can use a bow hanger on the tree in front of me on the left and all it takes to get ready to shoot is lifting my left hand. You can make very smooth and controlled movements to get into shooting position. And you can swing behind the tree and just shoot around the edge of it.

I was active for a bit on saddlehunter.com but became busy enough that I just keep up with a few forums now. There is a wealth of knowledge there tho.

Seems like smaller guys have better luck with them than big guys, might just be my imagination, though.

I carry 3 climbing sticks if I'm not going too far from the truck. If I'm packing in I just take one. Google the one stick climbing method and there are a few videos, I think.

I have 3 cranford folding steps on a ratchet strap for my platform, this is one thing I would like to upgrade.

I hunt all public land and it's the ticket for me! If you pack in for whitetails it's an awesome piece of gear. It's rode in my Kifaru a few times......

OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ok so I suck at using spikes. I quick search brought up several YouTube channels that just showed that guys like flinginairos are really good at them and I am not.

Any tips?

woods89

WKR
I was sitting in the tree this morning wondering how you were liking your saddle. I've never used spikes, tho, so I'm no help there. Is the saddle working for you?

Poser

WKR
I hunted from a mesh Tree Saddle for about 10 years when I lived in Tennessee. I liked it. I would carry individual strap on steps for public land and screw ins on private land. I found it way more enjoyable, versatile and far less clunky than a conventional climber.
I dont Hunt from trees anymore living in CO, but I couldn’t bring myself to sell it either.