Tarp in idaho

williamson88

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone run a tarp such as a supertarp etc in idaho backcountry with the large amount of predators? Or regular floor tent. I know if an animal wants to get you they will just curious

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

FlyGuy

WKR
I ran a tut for 2 weeks in September. That's all in your head man. Doesn't make a difference to wolves or bears.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

OP
W

williamson88

Lil-Rokslider
Yea just never been to such predator dense place lol

OP
W

williamson88

Lil-Rokslider
I ran a tut for 2 weeks in September. That's all in your head man. Doesn't make a difference to wolves or bears.

How does weather effect tarp hunting I know the annex with supertarp would be a must if hunting late season just curious about heavy rain

FlyGuy

WKR
Man, there are about a 1000 threads on here about that. Rain isn't going to bother you as long as you take a few obvious precautions. But, if going floorless is going to give you the creeps then just go with an enclosed/floored shelter until you get more comfortable sleeping in the woods.

Man, there are about a 1000 threads on here about that. Rain isn't going to bother you as long as you take a few obvious precautions. But, if going floorless is going to give you the creeps then just go with an enclosed/floored shelter until you get more comfortable sleeping in the woods.

exactly this.
i run a regular tent because i don't like creepy crawlies. oh and my wife said no tarp haha

MikeStrong

Lil-Rokslider
Your biggest concern in Idaho is really going to be rattlesnakes. If you are hunting timbered pine areas, you shouldn't have to worry much about them. If you are staying more in the open sage and juniper brush desert areas, just take a tent. Waking up to find a diamondback decided to snuggle with you for warmth overnight isn't going to be worth saving a couple pounds of pack weight.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

GregB

WKR
Also if there are a lot of bugs, I've been eaten up pretty good by mosquitoes in a floorless. Other than that never had any issues.

BCSteel

FNG
I typically use a tarp setup. Not a floorless enclosed tarp shelter but a lean-to style shelter for the majority of my camping. Last year on a September deer hunt I had a wolf sniffing me through my tarp on the back side and am 100% sure that the wolf was smelling my breath directly from my face as I slept on the front side. This spring while out for bear I had something big and pissed off snorting at me in the middle of the night from about 1 yard away. Other than that it's mosquito's/black flies that can get annoying but a little bug spray on the face before bed takes care of it. Pro: easy exit for me. Con: easy entrance for everything else.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Muttly

WKR
Your biggest concern in Idaho is really going to be rattlesnakes. If you are hunting timbered pine areas, you shouldn't have to worry much about them. If you are staying more in the open sage and juniper brush desert areas, just take a tent. Waking up to find a diamondback decided to snuggle with you for warmth overnight isn't going to be worth saving a couple pounds of pack weight.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

THIS is why I love Alaska! If I,m fooling around with a tipi or tarp in the backyard, the neighborhood bear has a little trail through the lower yard. Or, he just goes up and over the deck. Sleep like a baby.
But frickin snakes give me the willies...

tlkaetz

WKR
I use a Kifaru Supertarp w/ annex in Idaho General Rifle Season with no issue.