Learn me on backpacking stoves

SKYNET KC

FNG
I'm nearing the "completion" (whatever that means) of my pack gear. One of the last "bigger" things on my list is a stove.

Every review I see says the Pocket Rocket 2 is the way to go, but as many here I'm sure have seen, there's a bit of controversy if they actually support the hunting world.

So with that in mind, is there a particular one I should be looking at? I guess i'm not against buying the Pocket Rocket, if it is the clear cut winner for performance and size. But this is something I know NOTHING about and would like your guys' opinion.

Thanks,
Matt

I thought MSR was a good company and that jetboil was non-supportive

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I thought MSR was a good company and that jetboil was non-supportive

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I thought the same thing.

I’m planning on purchasing a pocket rocket 2 as well. All the backpacking reviewers seem to really like it for an ultra light stove. Seems like a good choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FlyGuy

WKR
Jetboil is the anti hunting brand. But I didn't know that at the time when I bought mine and I freaking love it.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

Do your homework on different fuel types. White gas vs canister and so on. White gas is a work horse and great at all temps and canister is insanely convenient. There is plenty to consider and it’s one of my favorite things to tinker with. I’ve owned a lot of stoves and in my 20s white gas was the way to go because the fuel is insanely cheap but I run canister now that I don’t live out of my backpack. The pocket rocket is hard to beat for a cost/weight/performance balance.

Do your homework on different fuel types. White gas vs canister and so on. White gas is a work horse and great at all temps and canister is insanely convenient. There is plenty to consider and it’s one of my favorite things to tinker with. I’ve owned a lot of stoves and in my 20s white gas was the way to go because the fuel is insanely cheap but I run canister now that I don’t live out of my backpack. The pocket rocket is hard to beat for a cost/weight/performance balance.

Echo this.

I am a big msr fan.

I have a pocket rocket 2. About a dozen nights on it and it is awesome. Canister fuel has its place and the convenience is self evident. They really shine if you are just boiling water for mountain house, oatmeal and coffee.

I have a couple of msr White gas stoves. One is a 20 year old whisper light with untold nights of use camping hunting and in .mil. The other is a newer version that I can’t recall the model for. It works just as well and can simmer or go full rocket ship like the whisper light. Let’s you be a little more flexible if you are cooking real food.

They have a new version that uses canisters or white gas. I haven’t used it but I would be looking hard at that if I were buying today.

Jetboil is the anti hunting brand. But I didn't know that at the time when I bought mine and I freaking love it.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

Same and it stays in the pack , heats water so fast for coffee

My Jetboil Sol has been a workhorse for 4-5yrs now and have zero complaints. When it dies I’ll go with MSR to support a company that supports us.

C Bow

WKR
Check out Soto Windmaster I have owned them all . Best stove I have ever owned.

HuntHarder

WKR
Classified Approved
Soto Windmaster here too. On our last trip, my hunting buddy had an MSR and I had my Soto. He was pretty jealous of the time difference in boiling.

nodakian

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Love my Pocket Rocket but not in the cold. Struggled to get water hot enough for supper in the lower 30s last week. I’ll be looking for something to burn white gas soon.

Lawnboi

WKR
I’ll go ahead and agree with most that MSR makes good gear, especially their stoves.

Prior to picking you need to think about how and when you will use the stove. The different fuel types and setups can work better or worse in different situations.

I have a pocket rocket I still use. It’s burned a lot of canisters. I use it anytime I want something really light but don’t expect very cold weather, or doing anything other than boiling. I really want to try one of their stove systems like the wind burner or reactor to replace the pocket rocket just because the pocket rocket really suffers in any wind.

If it’s going to be cold, I’m going to be cooking real food, or not covering much ground I have a dragonfly, which has also been a great stove.

So I’d say you need to really look at how your using the stove, and decide from there.

That said I think everyone needs a light canister stove in their system.

Beendare

WKR
I've had the Optimus Crux for about 15 yrs. It looks like this one except it folds up [not sure if this one does or not]
Optimus Crux Lite Stove with Terra Solo Cook System | REI Co-op

I think Butane Canister is the way to go for ease of use....unless you do A LOT of winter backpacking in zero degree temps. The canisters will freeze...and IME when its going to be under 20 deg or so at night you need to pack the canister away so it doesn't freeze. if its below zero the cans are a PITA. Otherwise, I do many fall trips with this butane stove and even below freezing at night they do fine with a little TLC.

These types of stoves-like the pocket Rocket, Snow peak makes a couple,etc] are a little more versatile than the Jetboils and are all metal parts that are trouble free.

Its not common but the Jetboil types have plastic parts that can melt, break or fail. [I've been preaching this for 10 years- nice to see guys figuring this out] And they are bulky...though some of the designs now are made to pack better. Some of the problems with the Jetboils are operator error. typically you want to screw these on snug to the can and my guess is the guys breaking these got a little too aggressive with that.

The disadvantage to the Optimus style stoves is wind. If you are cooking in exposed area....you need to put it behind a log or similar wind block....or bring a lightweight foil or Ti foil wind screen. I haven't seen this to be a disadvantage and with a good wind screen or in the tent- they kick ass.

The white gas stoves area little more of a PITA than the Butane with their own set of issues. These can flame up, pressure problems, leak fuel, etc. They are good stoves though...... like the MSR dragonfly link. Most of their problems are operator error.
MSR DragonFly Backpacking Stove | REI Co-op
A lot of old school guys like this^ type stove and it is better than Butane when in winter all day below freezing trips. They are on avg heavier than butane system.

The white gas and butane both boil the same....the butane a little faster usually. Someone said they were having a hard time getting a boil. If its cold and windy that can cool the pot I suppose- easy to solve with a wind block/screen. The Jetboils are better in the wind...but a buddy had the wind help melt his stove base, YMMV.

FYI, at high elevation [above about 7k or so] you won't get a hard rolling boil with anything like you get at sea level.

I have a couple different stoves; white gas and butane....my go to is the Optimus style. My white gas whisperlite just gathers dust.

I can get 4 days on a small canister with 2 guys....over 5 solo. I've never had a can fail...and never heard a buddy say they had one fail...but I suppose anything is possible.

Travel is an issue with any of these stoves as you cannot bring the fuel on a plane. If you are doing a remote trip, check to make sure you can get fuel. The transporters [like in Alaska] will know...and the bush pilots let your bring fuel typically putting it in the floats. Even the most remote areas have gas...so sometimes a gas stove might be the way to go. I've been in some remote areas and all have had the butane canisters.

NOTE, Commercial flights; These have changed in the last 5 years or so. You have to make sure the stove is clean and doesn't smell of fuel [easy, wipe down with iso alcohol and leave it outside for a few days before your trip] If TSA smells gas on your stove....they will remove it. Same with a fuel bottle for the gas stoves...if it smells...its gone.

Every system has its pros and cons....... Hope that helps....

Last edited:

rayporter

WKR
in cold weather you have to work with a canister stove. they can and do freeze up or at least they put out little heat.

like managing your water in the cold you must learn how use a wind screen and it helps to put the canister on some insulation to keep it off frozen ground. you can also put the canister in water which by definition will be above freezing. warm water is even better.. keep the canister in your bag at night to keep it warm. or in the daytime set it in the sunshine.

sometimes it is better to have more than one stove to choose from. i probably have 3 gasoline stoves and 4 canister stoves to choose from.
i also use trioxane or esbit fuel a lot and have made and used many alcohol stoves.

like he said 'every system has it pros and cons'

Brendan

WKR
Primus is another great (pro-hunting) brand - my opinion is stick with MSR, Primus, Soto. I have an ETA Spider which I really like, and have a Soto for lightweight / shorter trips.

BCSteel

FNG
I've used the same msr dragonfly for 21 years, only needed 1 new seal after 20 years (last year). I also picked up a pocket rocket 2 last year and love it for up to 1 week back packing trips. The PR2 needs a windscreen, I made one from a disposable aluminum cooking tray. Would recommend either one/both options.