Snowshoe Footwear and basics?

Big Nasty

Lil-Rokslider
Going to be my first yr getting into snowshoeing, Sold the snowmobile so need a cheaper hobby. What boots do most of you wear?? Any tips for a newbie? Think I did a good job researching shoes and will probably go with the MSR lighting ascents???. Most travel will be snow covered roads, be some back country bush whacking and the odd mountain climb. Plan is to hunt lynx/bobcat in the deeper snow months and get exercise for the sheep hunts.

mtnhmr

FNG
All depends on how much show and the type of snow. There are of course advantages/disadvantages (i.e., noise, fit, ascents etc.) to the different build materials (i.e., traditional wooden/sinew/leather or metal/plastic).

I prefer Tubbs and would suggest the Mountaineer (I have a previous version of this line) as you can climb wind/hard pack snow easily with the crampons. I found they typically work well in most all snow conditions, however they will be noisy and most often squeak. I also have a long set of traditional shoes, they are of course not that great at climbing steep hills... +/- of course.

As for boots, I use steger mukluks (check the camucks xtreme out) which are warm, flexible and keep the snow out. You can use a multitude of boots, however, I like to use non-rigid footwear and use the snowshoe as the rigid part. This of course does not assist with the toe grip with a traditional set of snowshoes.

Bottom line, I would go Tubbs over MSR any day.

mtnhmr

FNG
If you can find a pair of Victor Woodstream hard plastic shoeshoes, it would be worth the en-devour.

Crescent Moon showshoes might be worth looking into. Apparently they are made out of foam for a light weight / silent approach.

Last edited:
K

Kootenay Hunter

x2 for Tubbs or similar style snowshoes. You want a proper snowshoe when you're in heavy snowfall. The toe grips work great when climbing. You can make some really high tech looking snowshoes, but at the end of the day it's physics: mass over area = pressure.

I just wear my hiking boots. They keep me warm, comfortable, waterproof. Don't need specific footwear for snowshoes.

FWIW, I have GV snowshoes, similar model to this:

Men's Snowshoes : Wide trail | GV Snowshoes

Kotaman

WKR
I do a TON of snowshoeing in the winter months up here for the last 20 years. Own shoes for just about every snow condition conceivable. I use Maine Guide Snow Shoes for the deep fluffy stuff. I have MSR Lightning Ascents for the hard icy stuff and my favorite all around shoe by far is made by Atlas. Previously the Mountain 1235, now goes by the Serrate. I've had Tubbs, Crescant Moon, several Cabelas offerings and a bunch more. For me the key is the bindings. The high end Atlas are unmatched as far as bindings go. They are my "go to" for most conditions and my "go to" for coyote hunting due to ease of getting them on and off.

As far as boots go, I just normally wear an insulated hunting boot. I'm usually sporting my Lowa EVO Extremes or my Crispi Guides. I don't really need a super warm boot, even in frigid conditions as long as I'm moving. Any hunting boot with a little insulation will do fine. I've even wore Bunny Boots in my Atlas while coyote hunting and I'm more stationary.

BAKPAKR

WKR
I usually just use whatever leather hunting boot I would use if I were not using snowshoes. In the past that would be Cabelas Meindls, this year it would be Hanwags.

If you haven’t bought your snowshoes yet, I would suggest that you consider a pair that has lay flat bindings. It sure makes it easier to attach them to your pack. Also, I recommend using trekking poles with snow baskets.

If most of your oversnow travel would be on snow covered roads or forest service trails, the short Altai Hok skis with the universal bindings (just use regular hunting type boots) would be another option. I used a pair in Idaho for a week last February. Compared to snowshoes, I was able to cover a lot more ground with the skis.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Use trekking poles as noted and I simply where my leather winter hunting boot to offer support on terrain that can stress your ankles less vertical terrain a sorel type of boot may suffice. You will find snowshoeing a great workout so if off for a longer jaunt be sure to pack water and layered clothing as you will heat up quick if pushing the pace or in more vertical terrain. Enjoy👍