Searching for the secret method of keeping toes toasty.

Perhaps toasty isn't the right description. Dry and slightly warm?

I've been enjoying this hunting thing. 4 season in the woods and I've mastered the layering system. I understand materials better than your average Joe.

Its midday, have not seen anything except thi
ese squirrels in a while. My mind is ready to 2 o' clock, the future, and my numb toes, the present. My Patagonia base layer that I purchased on clearance at your local kayak shop probably 7 years ago (tride and true), my black ovids merino leggings (first time out with these, fantastic and on sale now), my first season in First Light Woodbury, all anchored by Drake Non-Typical bibs (first season in these, the suspenders are garbage but the bibs phenomenal), plus various polyester layers. I feel freaking comfortable. I don't wear gloves. I got it good right now.

Cold snap came in last night, currently 35 degrees and wind in my face. Retired hand-me-down Irish Setters last season and bought rubber insulated Magellans. Not a bad boot, mobility in the ankle is poor. I believe I have moisture wicking Under Armor socks.

I've neglected my toes, my ignorance or impossibility of keeping them warm! I can feel the moisture. My feet always sweat. So, here I am sitting in the heat of the rut in Southern Illinois, looking into a bean field, typing an entirely too long topic about numb toes. I'm not bored, but passing the time. So what gives? What is the secret to keeping my little piggies dry and comfy?

(Lol sorry for the dramatics.)

MikeStrong

Lil-Rokslider
I don't hunt white tails here in Idaho, but when I used to duck hunt a lot I would use the hot hand to warmers on the frigid days. I also used some wool socks with a battery powered warmer in them. They had a wire that ran up your leg with the battery pack (2 AA batteries I think) hanging from your belt, which also had the on/off button. Neither of those options are expensive and might be worth a shot before trying to upgrade any gear.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Sam's dad

Lil-Rokslider
If your feet are sweaty, try spraying them with antiperspirant spray before you go out. It’ll keep em dry and thus warmer.

oldgoat

WKR
Yeah, you want the feet warmer models of the little heating bags, they are designed to work in lower oxygen areas than the hand warmer models!

jmez

WKR
Get rid of the rubber boots when cold. Your feet will always sweat in them. Insulated pair of leather boots and Arctic Shield boot blankets when you get in stand.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

First off, ditch the Under Armour socks and get some good wool socks. I've tried about all of Under Armour's boot socks and none compare to quality wool. To top it off for really cold temps, hand warmers and oversized boots.

Kay9Cop

FNG
For stand hunting, nothing beats the Heater Body Suit. I've sat all day in Wisconsin during rifle deer season and been plenty warm. Know that feeling when you wake up in bed and you're toasty warm all over? That's what it feels like in the suit. I take my boots off and slide right in. Comfy in a few minutes.

oversized boots, merino socks, hot hands toe warmers, arctic shield boot blankets. it was 15 degrees when i got on stand sunday morning and had not gotten out of the 20's when i left and that was with one pair of darn tough merino socks and a pair of uninsulated leather hiking boots. as soon as i get on stand i stick a pair of warmers in the boot blankets, put them on and cinch the top up tight.

if it snows or i have to cross water i wear a pair of 800g lacrosse alphaburleys and put the toe warmers right down inside the boots. i'll take my boots off when i get to the stand, stick the handwarmers on my toes, and back in the boots. oversizing them is the key. i wear a 9.5 street shoe and an 11 in rubber boots. my hikers are 10.5 wides.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Sitting in the stand, your toes aren't going to generate any heat, so you have to provide that heat to them. And then provide enough insulation to keep that heat there. Insulation doesn't generate any heat either, it just traps whatever heat is generated or already there. I would also wear a poly liner sock with wool socks over them. That will keep the moisture away from your skin.

Advice of quality socks is great. I use Kenetrek Ultimate Liner sock under the Kenetrek Alaska wool socks. My feet stay warm and dry. As jmez suggested in his reply above, put on a pair of the Arctic Shield boot blankets over your boots once you get in the stand. They are not made for walking, so you put them on after you get to the stand.

Shraggs

WKR
If your walk is long to your stand, you'll generate enough sweat to wet your socks out then it's a losing battle. Adding warmers, etc will save the day.

I wear cotton socks on the way in, they hold the moisture and keep it from the insulation. Then when I get to stand I change into Liner and meriono wool socks. Put the cotton socks in a baggy zipped up and in the pack.

Also, I have so many pairs of boots - cause I don't want to under or over insulated.

If it's real windy too, I'll take the artic shield boot covers. They work great.

Works for me.