FHF vs Marsupial

socalhntr

WKR
I currently have the fhf and love everything about the pack except the way it opens and it really isn’t a one hand functioning harness. I am debating switching to a Marsupial. Those that have owned both which do you prefer?

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've had my share of binocular pouches and now run a marsupial

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have both, the opening/closing is easier with the Marsupial, both are well constructed, both ride nice

mtbshark

WKR
Little off topic but I have an agc with a fhf harness. The fhf harness is the best I have found so far. The acg case is little more usable than fhf I feel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Loco4dux

WKR
I’ve had both and I like the FHF more. All personal preference per the usual here. Can’t go wrong with either.

wapitibob

WKR
I have both; FHF opens the wrong way and as such the lid is a pain in the ass. The marsupial fixed that. The magnets are icing...

sr80

WKR
also used to have the FHF and didnt like the way it opened. I did like how small and compact it was. Not i have a marsupial, and it opens the right way, and it is also small and compact.

Does anyone have issues with the Marsupial's magnets while using a compass or GPS?

I can't isolate it to the Marsupial's magnets, but man my iPhone compass has sucked this year since I switched to Marsupial. Same phone as last year. This year it's consistently 30+ degrees off. I feel like even when I take off the harness. Maybe when it calibrated last I was wearing the harness. I wish I had known how to force calibration of the iPhone compass this season (just looked it up).

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Does anyone have issues with the Marsupial's magnets while using a compass or GPS?
Yes the magnets will pull the compass needle. I've personally found at arms length away I don't have any issues so it's definitely something to check yourself when wearing the harness. I've heard it's less of an issue in the Gen 2 marsupial

OP
socalhntr

socalhntr

WKR
Thanks for the replies! Like I said the fhf is great just opens the wrong way

One thing you might consider...the Marsupial, with its super easy one-hand operation, might have you reaching for your glass more often.

This fall on my first trip I ran the AGC and my buddy ran my Marsupial. He's a rather amateur glasser/hunter but he was spotting more game than me during hikes, but that's because he'd actually use his glass. We'd get to a clearing and I was just too lazy to put my bow down and get out my binos and glass. Trip #2 I switched to the Marsupial and glassed a lot more. Even with the funky compass I'll put my odds of killing something better with the Marsupial (for me).

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’m going to start off by saying I’ve never used a marsupial and only have experience with FHF. I do not understand the logic of opening the wrong way. I prefer it to open away from me. It’s a more natural motion and less material you have to clear to get your binos out.

As far as one handed operation, I also do not understand how people can not open an fhf one handed. It’s super easy to open one handed, pull the tab, slide your hand up and grab your glass and pull it out. I’ve ran small and xlarge and operate them the same way. Also, using your binos is a 2 handed operation 95% of the time....

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
The thing I love about the marsupial is it's ability to be left open I use it that way a bunch when I'm in my tree stand or just rolling country when it's nice out.
b901ea1792a1fe06e9f95a74d395599d.jpg

I switched from FHF to marsupial due to the direction of the flap opens (Out vs. Up).

It is much easier to open one-handed while carrying a weapon. Love everything about it aside from the magnets mess with your compass if held too close and the top buckles were overkill (there is a mod I did that someone else posted where you replace them with smaller tightener-locks).

Happy I switched...

wapitibob

WKR
Yes, you can open the fhf with one hand but then the lid is in the way. At that point you have to do something with it, tuck it into harness after pulling the binos out, or trying to shoe horn it between the harness and your chest. I got tired of it and bought the marsupial. Other than the lid, it was a great bino harness.

fordnut

FNG
I used a marsupial first part of the season. I now have a fhf. The marsupial seemed a lot more noisier when your arm brushed up against it. If the marsupial was made with a quiet material I would switch back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shrek

WKR
I like everything about my FHF binocular pack. I have zero problem using it one handed , much prefer the lid opening the way it does , and like the slim profile. If I’m just slowly cruising I don’t close the tab and just one handed catch the lid with the eyepieces and slide the lid up and set the binoculars in and let the cover just hang over and keep dirt off the eyepieces. If I’m sitting and glassing I just tuck the lid into the case. The forward opening cases are bulkier to me and you have to close them after you set the binoculars into the case if you want them to keep the eyepieces clean. I have not used the Marsupial pack but I won’t be trying it with a lid that opens forward.

Gumbo

WKR
I like everything about my FHF binocular pack. I have zero problem using it one handed , much prefer the lid opening the way it does , and like the slim profile. If I’m just slowly cruising I don’t close the tab and just one handed catch the lid with the eyepieces and slide the lid up and set the binoculars in and let the cover just hang over and keep dirt off the eyepieces. If I’m sitting and glassing I just tuck the lid into the case. The forward opening cases are bulkier to me and you have to close them after you set the binoculars into the case if you want them to keep the eyepieces clean. I have not used the Marsupial pack but I won’t be trying it with a lid that opens forward.

Ditto.

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
asdew04