Hunting Boots w/ Wide Toe Box

bearskull

FNG
Can anyone out there recommend a good hunting boot with a wide toe box?

I’ve tried on many different kinds, but can’t seem to find one that fits. When I bump up into the wide sizes, the heel gets sloppy.

I’ve googled and browsed some forums here, but can find no real consensus. A lot of backpackers out there recommend Keen boots, but they don’t seem to get recommended in the hunting community that often. Do you guys have any recommendations for me to try on?

Note: I train in Altra shoes for this exact reason. So, if you are in the same boat and need some runners then I’d recommend trying some on at your local store.

I have pretty wide feet and run Crispi Idahos in a wide size. Not sure if they would work for you but they have plenty of room for me.

farmer14

Lil-Rokslider
Zamberlan outfitter. Wide toe box similar to altra. I’ve used Kenetreks, crispi, Lowa, you name it. Zamberlan have worked out the best.

OP
B

bearskull

FNG
I have pretty wide feet and run Crispi Idahos in a wide size. Not sure if they would work for you but they have plenty of room for me.

I’ll try the Idaho’s on my next trip to the store. Thank you.

OP
B

bearskull

FNG
Zamberlan outfitter. Wide toe box similar to altra. I’ve used Kenetreks, crispi, Lowa, you name it. Zamberlan have worked out the best.

I will certainly have to try these out. Altra fits my foot very well, so these seem promising. Thank you.

Mosby

WKR
I have both Lowa and Zamberlain. I like both but the Zamberlain are more comfortable.

jmden

WKR
Zamberlan has a number of boots in their wide last with roomy toebox. Do the research and figure out which ones. I've run the 1005 Hunter Pro ( and it's predecessor) for a number of years and appreciate the roomy toe box. Helps with circulation in the cold to keep the feet warmer too.

Danners and Merrells were my go to.

I now have a pair of crispi Idaho’s and Thor’s. They get a lot of use.

I have a set of Keane trek mountain extremes for super cold weather.

mtbshark

WKR
The lows wide is not very wide at all, it uses the same insole as their standard width.
I just got a pair of kenetreks and they fit well. I have a wide forefoot and skinny heals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigbaddad71

Lil-Rokslider
Call James or Stephen at Lathrop and son's!

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

OP
B

bearskull

FNG
Thanks, all. Sounds like I have quite a few options. I really appreciate all the input. I’ll try to update this thread once I find one that fits. Hopefully this thread will help those people researching this same problem in the future

Salomon Quest 4D has a pretty roomy toe box, you should be able to dial the heel in with a pair of super feet insoles. They are very comfortable, but are not a mountaineering boot in terms of stiffness and support. Worked fine climbing stuff that looked like sheep country and packing an elk out though.

I have wide toes, a narrow arch, and a wide heel, so I ended up with a pair of Lathrop and Sons gel insoles on top of the factory insoles that I cut off in front of the balls of my feet to keep toe room.

BAKPAKR

WKR
I have a narrow heel and a wide forefoot. My heel usually floats around in any wide width boot. Several styles of the Cabelas Meindl boots in D width have fit me perfectly (I have had 5 pairs). Now that I live in the East, I don’t put many miles on them per year. Unfortunately, one of my friends and I have had problems with the soles coming off low mileage but older Cabelas Meindls. The material used to connect the sole to the boot has just crumbled away. If I still lived somewhere where I would actually wear the boots out every year or two from use, I would continue getting them. As it is, I would not trust them on any backpack or drop type hunt after a couple years even if the boots looked new.

I bought a pair of Hanwag Trappers this year. The fit is similar to the Meindls so now I will see how they last.

Decker9

WKR
I use the hanwag Alaskan GTX in their wide model, I’m not sure if I have wide feet, but they fit great. I use them as my every day footwear, as well as my mountain boot.

They are 50% off on their Canadian websight right now, sucks not being able to try them on first, but if you have a local retailer close by, they would be worth a look, especially at that price.