Thoughts on buying used inreach...

Thinking about picking up a used inreach. What advantages do the newer Garmin units have over the older delorme. Are they all still supported? Whats the difference between the yellow and orange units from each maker?

I ended up buying a used Inreach off eBay. I don’t need the newest whatever, and I’m only using it for messaging paired with my phone so no need for gps functionality.

Anyway, I think it was a great way to save a few hundred dollars.

OP
ezmorningrebel
I ended up buying a used Inreach off eBay. I don’t need the newest whatever, and I’m only using it for messaging paired with my phone so no need for gps functionality.

Sounds like what I would use it for. What model did you buy?

outdoor_matt

Lil-Rokslider
I, too, bought a used inreach, the 1.5 model. So the black cube with no screen basically. All I needed was texting my wife and it works fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought a new inreach mini this year. Would I have bought used if the deal was right and available? Sure. I have no issue buying what I want used. Value is a key factor and I need to save a good percentage to justify used.

But, buying too old can leave you with lack of support at some point. I would be fine buying one of the current Garmin inreach or inreach plus units. I would be concerned about future support with a delorme unit.

My .02.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I did the same thing. Inreach 1.5 in like new condition. Paired to my phone no problem. I only need it to let my wife know Im ok daily and in case I fall off a cliff while Im by myself. Simple.

Sent from my LG-M327 using Tapatalk

I also bought a used Delorme inReach off ebay a couple years ago that I pair with my phone as I do solo a fair amount and thought an emergency plan should be inplace. I have mixed reviews on it as sometimes it works great and other times takes 4 or 5 attempts to get a text out. I contacted Garmin customer service asking if the mini has better technology and they said basically no.....it's just smaller and lighter and if my current one works, just keep using it. I really have a hard time believing my 6+ year old device (probably much older) has not been improved upon technology-wise. Phone technology for satellites/GPS has advanced a lot in the last several years so I'm very skeptical on the answers I've gotten on this topic as I think I'd really need to talk to someone with better technical expertise than a regular CS person. I could be wrong but I'd be shocked. So if it were me and I didn't have one, I'd buy the new mini over saving a few bucks. If you really had an emergency, how much extra is it worth if your life depended on it????

bobr1

WKR
Sometimes you can find the new ones on sale if you are interested. I was able to get my garmin se new this year for $230 from costco. I had looked at getting the used delormes but for the price and piece of mind of knowing it was new, I bought one. Looks like one place is selling them at this price currently.