Bino Harness Recommendation

Hello All,

I’m currently using Kuiu Large harness and love everything about it (especially how compact and close to my chest it sits) but I’ve run into one large issue.

I frequently go from binos in a harness to binos on a tripod and back and forth many times throughout the day. With the kuiu harness, when I take the binos off the harness, the harness shoulder straps slide off my shoulders and are a PITA to get them back up over my shoulders and attached to my binos while in a hurry.

I’m currently selling my Luepold Mojave binos and vortex Viper spotter in hopes of getting a set of Maven B.2s. As a result I will most likely need a new bino harness so please only recommend ones that will fit the large bodied Maven B.2 9x45s.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
T
Forgot to mention, it’s essentially a necessity for it to be easy to open the harness and gain access to the binos using only one hand

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
There are a hundred threads on binocular harnesses on rokslide for hours of reading enjoyment. They all have pros and cons. After trying a bunch I'm still using the marsupial after 2 seasons. Is it perfect nope but it checks lots of boxes for sure.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

CLibka

Lil-Rokslider
I liked the outdoor vision. Seems to check all your boxes. One hand open and close. Harness stays on your chest even if the binos are on tripod. Good protection. Comfortable. Check them out.

Get some straps sown onto the Kuiu to make a tether. Any seamstress should be able to do that.

AGC bino keeper clip to your binos. When you unclip the binos you can clip the two remaining clips together creating the harness.

Might try to retrofit them to your harness.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I've tried many. (All the most popular brands.) Outdoor Vision is my current favorite. Less bulky, less fiddly opening, closed design gives full protection from dust and precipitation.

28bang

WKR
I ordered outdoor vision and the Sitka bivy 12-15x. I have swaro 12x50Els. The Sitka fit better and so I’m keeping that. Could’ve got the bigger size in the outdoor vision and it would’ve been a better fit. Pretty tight in the large. Wish the Sitka had solid colors, but I can deal with the subalpine. Can leave the tethering straps on the binos and still put it on my tripod. Just unhook the side buckles. Can do that with most of them I’m guessing. If I was in a pinch I can fit my sig kilo 2400 in the Sitka with the binos in. Also the extra pockets on the inside of the Sitka. Very comfortable. Outdoor vision was comfortable also.

Pike40

FNG
I am using the mystery ranch version. I looked at a few others, truthfully they all had plus and minuses. On the mystery ranch, I like the size and it is comfortable to wear, you can also molle attach a holster or other things to it on the bottom. the negatives for me are the bino straps do not stay in place and the the lid has a magnetic latch. I thought the latch was great until I hunted with it, it has a habit of self closing with a pop while you are glassing. I am running meopta meostar b1's and they fit well as do my monarch's, I am not sure how other binos would fit. I would not hesitate to recommend this harness with the mentioned caveats. ohh, it does not come with a rain cover. I hunted in some good rain and snow conditions this year and in the worst weather just wore the harness under my raingear.

Mike

success

WKR
I used the outdoor vision harness for 7 days in Montana. Worked great. Closed design kept the snow out. Tether system worked as intended. Made in the USA.

daddie63

WKR
Another Marsupial gear fan here. Really like the design and works well. Owners a good guy too.

I bought the outdoor vision in XL and absolutely love it (though haven’t used it extensively). Fits nice and allows for me to carry a fair amount of gear. I also had the marsupial which was a great bino just didn’t like the open sides near the top so I sent it back. I also am a fan of bino harnesses that open away from me vs towards me. I don’t like the lid on my face/neck when I’m trying to glass. Just my thoughts. Good luck. Lots of great bino harnesses out there.

JohnnyB

WKR
My experience so far

Eberlestock Nosegunner- too heavy, gimmick holster

FHF- lightweight, used a while, would use again, harness rubbed my neck

Badlands- really comfortable, love the rangefinder compartment on the bottom, not a huge fan of magnetic closure but it isn’t bothering me enough to switch back to FHF

Just my two cents, or my five hundred plus dollar journey (so far)

ghost338

FNG
If you like the Kuiu design, you may want to consider the Muley Freak design. It's similar in that it opens away from the body, but the straps are attached to the pack instead of the binos, so they binos can be removed and put on a tripod.

Also, I believe there was a thread on here where someone modified their Kuiu harness so that the straps attached to the pack instead of the binos. If I remember, it looked pretty easy. That might be an easy solution.

msstate56

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been using the Badlands pack with the magnetic closure and bottom rangefinder pouch. It works great for one hand access. What I did with mine was cut the little side release buckles that came with the cheap shoulder strap on my Leupold mk3 HDs. I then zip tied the buckle to the bungee cord inside the bino pouch. That way I could easily unclip the binos, put them on the tripod, then quickly reattach to the inside of the pouch. I really like the magnets, they work so much better than Velcro or buckles.

Wassid82

WKR
I have found the best one I’ve used is eberlestock. I use it year round while hunting turkey,bear,deer,elk,yotes,etc. I take it hiking with me in the summer with my kids and it has a compartment that holds a pistol as well. I find this a nice piece of mind in bear/wolf country hiking/camping with the family

rm06

WKR
I have used the following:

FHF
AGC Kodiak Cub Max
Outdoor Vision

The FHF is great and I would probably still use it but I don't care for the flap. It is pretty long and I like to wear my harness high on my chest so it would often get in the way. Also, it doesn't protect very well against sideways rain, snow or dust. It fit great out of the box and was easy to adjust.

I thought I wanted to carry more stuff in my bino harness so I picked up the AGC Kodiak Cub Max which can carry an insane amount of gear. So much in fact that I made it rather uncomfortable to wear for long periods which defeats the purpose for me. I also like that it sealed off my binos for better protection but they sit very deep in the pocket and can sometimes be difficult to extract.

The OV is the one for me so far. I really like that it opens forward, seals up my glass fairly well, is lightweight and carries like I'm not wearing a harness at all. It is very limited space wise so plan appropriately. I think this harness would be absolutely perfect for me with auto lock clips and wider harness straps.

I go back and forth with all of the above whether to use the supplied bino tethers with the micro squeeze clips, they're very difficult to manipulate with cold fingers when removing the binos to use on a tripod, or attaching binos to a simple paracord lanyard around the neck.