Great Hoody Option

tracker12

WKR
I have worn Ibex Merino wool hoodies for several years. A couple years ago I was turned on to the Patagonia R1 Hoody by a rock climbing friend of mine. For the last two years it has been my go to piece of clothing. I usually wear an Ibex short sleeve merino tee shirt under it. It is amazingly warm the hood fit is great and it has held up very well. The waffle weave is just so comfortable. I liked it so much I have since bought the non hood model that I wear all the time when a hood is not needed or just to wear around town. Check it out I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

https://www.patagonia.com/product/m...986e90865&utm_term=patagonia+r1+hoody&start=1

I love my r1 hoody. I love the way it fits. I lost my original non-hooded version on a trail somewhere, so I bought a new one in a neutral green with a hood.

I’m slowly switching my clothing over from camp to solids. I’m gonna keep a set of Sitka stuff for predator stands/turkey/archery but the rest of it’s going in favor of high end mountaineering solids.

JFKinYK

Lil-Rokslider
Mine is 10 years old and I like that version better. It has extra fabric around the hem to extend the torso so it stays tucked in. Same with the wrists, so the sleeves are longer, and makes the thumb holes easier to use. The zipper is offset up and around your neck and mouth. Much more comfortable. If you find an old version, grab it!

mtnkid85

WKR
My absolute top favorite piece of clothing. I finally wore my old orange one out and have been struggling to replace it, they haven't done them in orange for a few years though.

OP
tracker12

tracker12

WKR
There’s an orange one on eBay in L. If it was XL I would have bought it. I do hear the older models were better but I have no complaints with the current version

Last edited:

Trial153

WKR
The R1 is a classic.

TAD gears Vortex hoody I think is even better though .....

mtnkid85

WKR
Bah, Im a Med. But thanks for the heads up, Im always on the look out for one.

I tried the Sitka heavyweight core this year, which performance wise was similar but I still miss my old R1!

Trial153

WKR
Another option is simms, they had polartec grid fleece full zip that has a smooth face. I got it black and have used the hell out of it during steelhead seasons the last few years. It held up fantastic and it warm for it weight

Kotaman

WKR
How is this different than a First Lite Klamath or Sitka Heavyweight Hoodie? I’d much rather buy from a company that supports hunting...

How is this different than a First Lite Klamath or Sitka Heavyweight Hoodie? I’d much rather buy from a company that supports hunting...

an ounce or two, zipper length and hood/chin fit.

Not much. Think R1 use polarteck and the other a proprietary/knock off fabric.

I will say Firstlite added fabric to the inside of hood so it’s not blaring white when you aren wearing the hood.

Mountain hardware also came out with a grid fleece with kangaroo pocket. I’d say it lighter then the R1 and Firstlite so probably not as warm but close

wesfromky

WKR
The R1 is a classic.

TAD gears Vortex hoody I think is even better though .....

I have an older style R1, but, it is starting to show it's age as was looking at TAD to replace it. Will take a closer look now for sure.

‘They say that hunters and tree huggers can’t get together. That’s bullshit. The only way we’re going to get anything done is to work together.’ – Yvon Chouinard, founder of Patagonia.

While I don't think Patagonia is "pro-hunting", they're not anti-hunting, either. Pretty sure they contribute to BHA.

Also, to be honest, I'd rather have something that isn't going to fail on me... that counts out FL.

RCL

WKR
Melanzana makes a nice grid fleece hoody, but I don't know if they do online sales anymore.

‘They say that hunters and tree huggers can’t get together. That’s bullshit. The only way we’re going to get anything done is to work together.’ – Yvon Chouinard, founder of Patagonia.

While I don't think Patagonia is "pro-hunting", they're not anti-hunting, either. Pretty sure they contribute to BHA.

Also, to be honest, I'd rather have something that isn't going to fail on me... that counts out FL.

Unless it’s a Buffalo or a bear, then they are anti

Why not just support a company that doesn’t waver or defraud hunters and hunting

topher89

WKR
Love the R1. I currently have 2 pullovers, 1 hoody and the "Field" version which has nylon reinforcements in the high wear areas. The field is heavier so I typically only wear it when I am upland hunting. They have the right mix of warmth and breathability. I have an orange pullover that sees a lot of use during rifle seasons. I rarely feel the need to take them off when hunting because it is so breathable.

With that said, I just bought a First Lite Klamath in camo so I could wear it waterfowl and turkey hunting. It seems to be high quality and just as nice as the R1. The outer layer has a different feel and I think will be tougher and stand up to more abuse.

Unless it’s a Buffalo or a bear, then they are anti

Why not just support a company that doesn’t waver or defraud hunters and hunting

Because at the end of the day I like what works. FLs durability is highly suspect along with their customer service. Sitka would get my money but I just don’t need camo everything.

I don’t agree with their stance on bear hunting but to be honest, they aren’t going to miss my money if I decided to go a different route. I’m sure they’d love to know I use their gear for... haha, bear hunting.