Kifaru pullouts/dry sacks

kipper09

WKR
Wanting some input on the pullouts. Getting things set on my alaska hunt and I have an abundance of the pullouts. I’m curious as to the water resistance of them. Never had them in pouring rain for any time period that I can judge off of. Wanting to put my spare layers in them and socks. And of course electronics (phone/ delorme/), puffy. What do we think guys? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jolemons

WKR
Water resistant. If your pack will get soaked use a liner or cover.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

OP
kipper09

kipper09

WKR
If they are pretty resistant I was thinking of rolling with them and using stone glaciers rain cover. I think that could be a good combo.?!? And I have the pullouts already. One thing I am gonna have to get is a dry sack for a western mountaineering alpinlite. Anybody know what size would be best for that application? And have any input as to brand for that?

I like pull outs for organization and access but they are only as water resistant as the materials they are. Made of. I tend to want more protection for critical gear like my sleeping bag or anything that wouldn’t submerge well like chargers or toilet paper. Those go in zip locks or waterproof sacks. Agree with the above on a stuff sack for your bag and maybe one for spare layers.

Kifaru sells an OR dry bag that is a hell of a pack liner. A contractor bag on the inside of your pack is also an option. Just use it like a liner and trim it even with the top of your packs snow collar.

Pack covers are a mixed blessing. I find them noisy when it isn’t raining but if you have enough rain/snow to want one then the noise will be less of an issue. They don’t weigh much. I haven’t confirmed this with a scale but I suspect a pack could absorb a good bit of water. Probably far more tha the cover weighs if it got really wet.

Huntin wv

Lil-Rokslider
I use that same sea to summit event compression bag in a med for my 15 deg mtn hardware down bag. It fits easily with enough room left for an extra layer or two in it.

The only downside to a pack rain cover is if you are hiking through brush that can snag on it.

JP100

WKR
I wouldnt use anything less than a roll top dry bag.

If it doesnt hold air, water will get in!

I use the pull outs for small stuff, knives/string etc that I dont care about if it gets wet.

Sleeping bag is always in a dry bag, all spare clothes are in a dry bag.
Anything I dont want wet is in a dry bag, then I use a pack liner aswell(like a big garbage bag)and sometimes a rain cover aswell.