Gear List Critique 2.0

Hey guys, I posted a gear list a while back and got a lot of good feedback. I have since listened to many more podcasts and don't a lot more reading here. I had the fortune this year to be able to take advantage of every Black Friday sale I wanted to and have purchased the majority of this stuff.

I am looking now at those last little bits and pieces that weren't on sale and just wanted to see if there are any things I am not thinking of that I need to add in, or just any advice in general. One of these specifically being thoughts on the Helinox Cot Lite. They are on sale right now so I thought about picking one up in case I decide it would be good in certain scenarios, anyone who has one with some experience I'd love to hear thoughts on it.

Anyway, here's the list, thanks for the help.

KIFARU UL DUPLEX
KIFARU RECKONING BAG
GUIDE LID
KIFARU BELT POUCH X2
KIFARU WATER BOTTLE POCKET
KIFARU DRY BAG ???
KIFARU GUN CRADLE
PHELPS CALL
NALGENE BOTTLE

SHELTER
KIFARU SAWTOOTH
SMITH CYLINDER STOVE

SLEEP
KIFARU SLICK BAG
THERMAREST NEO X LITE
SEA TO SUMMIT AEROS UL PILLOW
HELINOX COT LITE??

COOKING
MSR MICRO ROCKET
GSI MINIMALIST
SEA TO SUMMIT LONG SPORK
FUEL CANISTER
BIC LIGHTER WITH TAPE

WATER
MSR AQUATABS
STERIPEN
MSR 10 LITER BLADDER

LIGHT
BLACK DIAMOND SPOT 300 LUMEN

NAVIGATION
GPS??
LAMINATED MAP
COMPASS

CLOTHING
CRISPI BRIKSDALE
SHORT SLEEVE SHIRT?
FIRST LITE KILN CREW
FIRST LITE KLAMATH HOODY
KIFARU LOST PARK PARKA
FIRST LITE KILN BOOT TOP BOTTOM
FIRST LITE CORRUGATE
FIRST LITE BOUNDARY STORMTIGHT RAIN PANT
FIRST LITE ULTRALIGHT RAIN JACKET
FIRST LITE NECK GATOR
FIRST LITE BOXERS
DARN TOUGH SOCK X2 PAIR
FIRST LITE BEANIE
FIRST LITE GLOVE LINER
FIRST LITE GAITER?
GLOVES

FOOD
DAILY VITAMINS/PILLS

HYGIENE
CHAP STICK
FLOSSERS
BABY WIPES
HAND SANITIZER
AURELLE TOOB BRUSH
MSR TRAVEL TOWEL

MEAT CARE
TAG B.O.M.B. BAG PACK
50 FT PARACORD
TYTO KNIFE
EXTRA BLADES
FLOURESCENT FLAGGING TAPE
LATEX GLOVES
TRASH BAGS

RIFLE/GLASS
RIFLE
BEAR SPRAY????
RRS TRIPOD

BINO HARNESS
ALASKAN GUIDE BINO HARNESS(cub with mac pocket)
VORTEX FURY
KESTREL
MOCCASIN JOES SMOKE IN A BOTTLE
UCO 15CT STORM MATCHES
TRIOXANE TABLETS
LEATHERMAN SQUIRT
PETZL ELIGHT
MSR STRIKER

MISC
THERMAREST Z SEAT PAD
LEKI TREKKING POLES
BATTERY PACK

POSSIBLES POUCH
1OZ NALGENE BOTTLE(for pills)
1 OZ STRAIGHT SIDE JAR(lotions/creams)
UCO 15CT STORM MATCHES
TENACIOUS TAPE
TRIOXANE TABLETS OR WETFIRE TABLETS
BIC LIGHTER WITH TAPE
EXTRA SPOON
GAUZE
MEDICINE(IBUPROFEN, TUMS, ALLERGY)
ALCHOHOL WIPES
LEUKOTAPE
SURGICAL GLUE OR SUPER GLUE
tiny mirror for crap in eye

ljalberta

WKR
That's a mighty fine gear closet you have at home! I think you could get out and after just about every creature in North American pretty successfully. What you choose to bring on any given hunt would probably come down to what you're hunting, where you're hunting, when you're hunting and the expected weather, and what approach do you take to hunting (base-camp? horse camp? short hike in? long hike in?, etc). Great base of gear you have to pick from though!

That’s a pricey list. Good on you for having the ability to acquire all that you need. Depending on your quarry and location/duration, you appear well kitted. If you haven’t bought the RRS tripod, the Two Vets Sporting Goods option is valid at less than half the price. You will also need a clamp or rail, and leveling head.

Food is also lacking, and ultra important

rbljack

WKR
If this list is also meant to be your checklist, I would add three items that I didn't see: TP, Ammo, and License/Tags. All necessity items that are MUST GO in my book. Depending on length of trip, maybe extra set of batteries for the headlamp too. Nice equipment list overall!

Where are you going hunting, during what time frame and at what altitudes? That will determine most of your gear needs. Are you planning on hiking in 6+ miles and spiking out or just walking in daily?

OP
H
That’s a pricey list. Good on you for having the ability to acquire all that you need. Depending on your quarry and location/duration, you appear well kitted. If you haven’t bought the RRS tripod, the Two Vets Sporting Goods option is valid at less than half the price. You will also need a clamp or rail, and leveling head.

Food is also lacking, and ultra important

Food is the next spot to tackle and make a detailed list for sure.!

I do already have the RRS, I use these specific tripod because I also shoot off of it.

OP
H
If this list is also meant to be your checklist, I would add three items that I didn't see: TP, Ammo, and License/Tags. All necessity items that are MUST GO in my book. Depending on length of trip, maybe extra set of batteries for the headlamp too. Nice equipment list overall!

TP is definately one I over looked because i had the baby wipes there already.
Will also definitely add the ammo and license. I never think to put them on the list, it is so second nature to have it.

OP
H
Where are you going hunting, during what time frame and at what altitudes? That will determine most of your gear needs. Are you planning on hiking in 6+ miles and spiking out or just walking in daily?

Plan is CO and trying to do first rifle. Have a few units I'm working on narrowing down. I'm guessing somewhere 8k pr ul but this is an area I need to research a tad more. I figured when buying the gear that this would cover me for nice weather or pretty shitty weather.
The idea in my head is to hike in, setup camp, and go to glassing spots. Again this will all be new to me so this is just going off what info I have gathered. I'd like to make a trip out in the summertime to get a lay of the land if all works out.

Brianb3

WKR
Beard..... I’d add a beard or heavy stache to go with the first light clothing!! Haha

Good luck in CO

Last edited:
OP
H
Beard..... I’d add a beard or heavy stache to go with the first light clothing!! Haha

Good luck in CO
First time been able to let it grow in several years due to work! Got it covered right now....sadly I'll probably have to shave soon.
91f622e28f268c03ad6185d84df708cf.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Luziana Feller

Lil-Rokslider
i'm subbing to follow. you and I are in the same boat. 1st rifle CO 2019. i clearly don't have quite the budget you have though lol

only thing i noticed was lacking was a small bag of seasoning for that victory loin over the fire :cool:

oh and blaze vest and hat. these are required right?

mcseal2

WKR
Looks like you have been listening to Aron Snyder's podcast. I listen to podcasts while in the tractor haying and I've heard his gear lists that look similar. It's a good looking list.

I see you have a short sleeve shirt listed but not a specific one. I really like the First Lite Aerowool. I pretty much run those all seasons anymore and just layer over the top for warmth. I like how much faster it dries than pure merino while still having the scent control.

For a GPS I run my I phone with On X maps. I save maps ahead of time so I can run it on airplane mode and save battery, I use it as an E reader with Kindle books then too. The battery use is pretty low in airplane mode. I see you are packing a battery pack in your list. I got a Black Diamond ReVolt headlamp and the rechargeable Steripen so my battery pack can be more multi-purpose. If you already have battery versions purchased I'd take an extra set of lithium batteries for the Storm headlamp. I use the Dark Energy battery pack.

I bought a universal bino adapter I can strap my Leica Geovid 10x42's on to tripod mount them. Getting your binos steady is a game changer and it looks like you have a tripod on your list anyway. I think tripod mounting my binos has improved my game spotting more than any upgrade in bino quality ever did.

I like the Kifaru rain cover for packs. I find myself putting it over my legs at times while glassing as a quick wind break when I'm not using it to keep my pack dry. It's not necessary but if I'm packing rain gear for myself I usually have it too. I like how over-sized mine is for my normal pack size so I can cinch it down around the pack really well too when I'm not wearing the pack. That came in really handy in Alaska, probably much less necessary in Colorado.

Last is a personal deal for me. I always spend the extra few ounces on a real knife instead of just a Tyto or other replaceable blade knife anymore. I can get the job done with them I just like having a bit more blade length and strength. I like the replaceable blades for caping and fine work, I just don't like them for skinning and quartering as much. I'd pack a more substantial multi-tool or a more substantial knife. Lots of people don't and get by fine, its just my preference. We all have our comfort items that make us feel better when away from civilization and I find a decent knife is mine. I moved a Fenix 1AAA flashlight and mini Bic into my bino harness pocket too last season so I always have those items even when away from my pack. I might drop my pack on a stalk but I never drop my bino harness.

Anyway just a few things to take or leave. Your list is good and I wish you luck on your hunt.

Last edited:
OP
H
Looks like you have been listening to Aron Snyder's podcast. I listen to podcasts while in the tractor haying and I've heard his gear lists that look similar. It's a good looking list.

I see you have a short sleeve shirt listed but not a specific one. I really like the First Lite Aerowool. I pretty much run those all seasons anymore and just layer over the top for warmth. I like how much faster it dries than pure merino while still having the scent control.

For a GPS I run my I phone with On X maps. I save maps ahead of time so I can run it on airplane mode and save battery, I use it as an E reader with Kindle books then too. The battery use is pretty low in airplane mode. I see you are packing a battery pack in your list. I got a Black Diamond ReVolt headlamp and the rechargeable Steripen so my battery pack can be more multi-purpose. If you already have battery versions purchased I'd take an extra set of lithium batteries for the Storm headlamp. I use the Dark Energy battery pack.

I bought a universal bino adapter I can strap my Leica Geovid 10x42's on to tripod mount them. Getting your binos steady is a game changer and it looks like you have a tripod on your list anyway. I think tripod mounting my binos has improved my game spotting more than any upgrade in bino quality ever did.

Last is a personal deal for me. I always spend the extra few ounces on a real knife instead of just a Tyto or other replaceable blade knife anymore. I can get the job done with them I just like having a bit more blade length and strength. I like the replaceable blades for caping and fine work, I just don't like them for skinning and quartering as much. I'd pack a more substantial multi-tool or a more substantial knife. Lots of people don't and get by fine, its just my preference. We all have our comfort items that make us feel better when away from civilization and I find a decent knife is mine. I moved a Fenix 1AAA flashlight and mini Bic into my bino harness pocket too last season so I always have those items even when away from my pack. I might drop my pack on a stalk but I never drop my bino harness.

Anyway just a few things to take or leave. Your list is good and I wish you luck on your hunt.
Yea I have listened to just about every episode driving home on weekends from work.

Most likely an aerowool short sleeve and I really dont know why I didnt buy it already with all my other stuff when it was on sale.....

I have recently been thinking a Garmin or Suunto for gps.

I have a goal zero solar charger that my bought me years ago and I figured for my first trip this would be my battery pack. If I see I dont need the solar panel I can spend the money on a battery pack and change it up later. I figure one set of rechargeable in the steripen and one set in the charger battery pack thing of the goal zero.

I'm sure I'll be carrying a normal fixed blade knife with me as well but more for utility. I need to start working on this actually because I will most likely make one myself.

Thanks for the advice!

OP
H
i'm subbing to follow. you and I are in the same boat. 1st rifle CO 2019. i clearly don't have quite the budget you have though lol

only thing i noticed was lacking was a small bag of seasoning for that victory loin over the fire :cool:

oh and blaze vest and hat. these are required right?
I feel ya on the budget bud. I've been wanting to do this for a while and just didn't have the means or rather, just the way I am didnt want to do it without the gear I wanted based on what I could afford at the time.

From everything I've heard/seen though my advice would be spend as much as you can on a good pair of boots and a good pack.

mcseal2

WKR
One last thing:

I like to have a tote of gear in the truck just in case. I check the weather at the last possible time and I can make decisions before leaving the vehicle on what goes. Rain gear for example might stay in the tote or go in the pack then. I also have extra clothes, batteries, food, water, all the stuff I would like to have along but don't want to carry in. I also have a cheap bulky sleeping bag, Thermarest foam pad, and cheap Walmart cook set in case I want to sleep in the truck after bringing a load out. It gives me more options if I can re-supply at the truck instead of having to go to town. Sounds like you will be traveling a long way for your hunt like I usually do so time is important. Having spare stuff at the truck can save time.

- - - Updated - - -

TP is definately one I over looked because i had the baby wipes there already.
Will also definitely add the ammo and license. I never think to put them on the list, it is so second nature to have it.

I take a roll of the blue shop towels and cut them in half with the bread knife from the knife block in the kitchen. Then I roll up strips of 5 or so towels off the half roll and put a bunch of them in a quart ziplock with a pack of the Coleman quick dissolving soap sheets. Its nice to finish up with something dry instead of baby wipes plus the shop towels are tough enough to be multi-purpose. If they get wet they can be dried and still useful, if TP gets wet it's just a mess. I like to wash my hands on occasion when crossing water with the soap sheets, especially after I shoot something. I must crap outdoors to much to have put this much thought into this.....