GStove

BCSojourner

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone have any experience with the GStove in the back-country yet? These stoves are made in Norway, appear to be very high quality and appear ideal for use in a base camp tipi setup (such as my SO 12-man tipi). Thinking of packing one in on a llama (only weigh about 20 lbs and will easily fit in a llama pannier). Just wondering about heat output in the high country during wet and cold weather? Used to use a cylinder stove (Hunter model) but it was extremely heavy and bulky (about 40 lbs). Have an SO titanium XL stove but it heats up fast and cools down fast and is not as solid as I would like. It seems like the Gstoves are sold as fast as they are made. They look like a smaller version of a cylinder stove.

Tenstrike

Lil-Rokslider
Dennis, you read my mind, I was going to ask the same question yesterday. They look like awesome stoves, I hope someone posts that has history with one of these. Thanks for your post!

OP
B

BCSojourner

Lil-Rokslider
See a lot of reviews over in Northern Europe, but only a couple in this country and not much related to hunting camps. I have been packing with llamas and refining my base camp for September archery elk hunts for 20 years - just transitioned from canvas wall tent setup to SO tipi (w/liner) a couple of years ago and sold my canvas as well as my cylinder stove. The llamas really appreciated this transition and it saved extra trips in and out for me (more hunting and relaxing time). We probably trimmed our loads on average by about 20 pounds per llama while still having all the comforts of a nice base camp. The GStove looks to me like the 'perfect' stove and a nice compromise between the heavy cylinder stove and super light titanium stove.

OP
B

BCSojourner

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks Bryan. Have seen most of the reviews, including Luxe, but have not seen anything from high-country hunters that have hauled them in on pack stock and used them in base camp setups, or hunting out of a primitive road camp. Seems like the Luxe reviews are all focused in WA and the Olympic Peninsula. Luxe has trouble keeping them in stock so they must be getting a lot of use here in the U.S. Appear to be extremely well-made.

reaper

WKR
They looks amazing,i really like the fact than they have a lot of accessories for it.Of course it is not ultralight but i will maybe jump on one for my ARB awning room on my jeep.They will release a tipi tent soon.

Envoyé de mon Pixel 2 en utilisant Tapatalk

ozman

FNG
Let's keep this thread going... I am looking at purchasing one of these as well. Weight isn't a concern, it's primary use will be for a base camp I can drive to.

OP
B

BCSojourner

Lil-Rokslider
These stoves should be awesome for a base camp and are certainly very packable with llamas or horses. I checked out the size in one of my standard Sopris llama panniers and the stove will fit nicely with room to spare. Twenty pounds, including pipe and spark arrestor nestled inside, is not bad - less than half a llama load. The welding on these stoves looks very high quality and, yes, there are a lot of accessories. According to all of the review videos these stoves work very well in tipis. Have one ordered to use in my 12-man SO tipi - ships late January of 2019 so will post more information once I get it and have checked it out.

reaper

WKR
Hi folks
Doesn't get the stove yet but received some parts already and i really like what i see,i was surprise how lightweight this is.Packaging was nice and well protected So far so good.
f925d024782efbe9ce6a87ca61bda6fb.jpg
ca5cc4b5359ba8182917b61185e22752.jpg
0508c9f9c3362f7455e1e3f8c74ef732.jpg
8943e4a2e07316bd33364ee7b06630f0.jpg

Envoyé de mon Pixel 2 en utilisant Tapatalk

Bryanboss429

Lil-Rokslider
Yep. I really like these stoves. A buddy of mine uses one. Quality is great. I was at his place when he did his first burn in it. I personally haven't used it though. We hunt different areas and seasons. What i don't really like is the price tag. Size and weight is great for my use of it with my pack horse. Iv'e been looking at these though as an alternative:

Winnerwell Nomad - Medium | Springbar Canvas
Packer Standard Package

Will probably go with the kni-co Packer and give it a try next season. The Nomad looks cool too, though.

OP
B

BCSojourner

Lil-Rokslider
Looks like a great stove. Is that the regular size of the XL?? Will be receiving mine late January/early February and will be anxious to try it out. Thanks for the photos Reaper!