Tyto and 3rd party blades

WoolyBugger

Lil-Rokslider
What blades are you running on your tyto? I'm sure this has been asked before but I was wondering if havalon or other 3rd party/generic blades work with the handle.

I think the 60 XTs are pretty popular if I'm not mistaken.

That's what came with the Tyto I just got.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

The blades that came with my Havalon Piranta are the same blades that came with my Tyto, #60A I believe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

akspudus

FNG
I’ve really gotten to like the havalon 70A blades. They have a round tip without a sharp point. Excellent for skinning...excellent for cutting near the bloating belly of a dead caribou. You can roll the knife over on its back and unzip the skin off a leg....or run it down the centerline of a carcass.
Just enough tip get things done as well. I’ve been carrying three 60A and three 70A blades in my kill kit...but have pretty much been using the 70A blades exclusively lately.
They are harder to find than the 60 blades.
I also use a Tyto handle with a paracord wrap. Works quite well. Good blade control. Four caribou, a black bear, a few deer and a bison have all come apart to it. No bone saw used. All joints come apart.

bsnedeker

WKR
Has anyone tried using one of those cheap plastic scalpels with disposable blades? You can get one on ebay for 10 bucks with 100 60A blades. I wish I had known about these before I spent all that money on the tyto.

Has anyone tried using one of those cheap plastic scalpels with disposable blades? You can get one on ebay for 10 bucks with 100 60A blades. I wish I had known about these before I spent all that money on the tyto.

$2.50 from Havalon direct. This is my go-to in my bino harness. I fashioned a kydex sheath similar to the Tyto one, so I'm into the whole deal for about $4.

Replaceable blade skinning knives and hunting knives by Havalon Knives. #8P Economy Plastic Scalpel Handle

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
$2.50 from Havalon direct. This is my go-to in my bino harness. I fashioned a kydex sheath similar to the Tyto one, so I'm into the whole deal for about $4.

Replaceable blade skinning knives and hunting knives by Havalon Knives. #8P Economy Plastic Scalpel Handle
I also use this one in my binocular harness but I just leave the blade off until it's needed. Helps save some weight and more importantly in my case some space because the pocket is small.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

marktole

WKR
I’ve really gotten to like the havalon 70A blades. They have a round tip without a sharp point. Excellent for skinning...excellent for cutting near the bloating belly of a dead caribou. You can roll the knife over on its back and unzip the skin off a leg....or run it down the centerline of a carcass.
Just enough tip get things done as well. I’ve been carrying three 60A and three 70A blades in my kill kit...but have pretty much been using the 70A blades exclusively lately.
They are harder to find than the 60 blades.
I also use a Tyto handle with a paracord wrap. Works quite well. Good blade control. Four caribou, a black bear, a few deer and a bison have all come apart to it. No bone saw used. All joints come apart.

Havalon has the #70A blades on their website and I believe so does amazon. Found with the search bar.

Yes I believe its a #8 scalpel handle, I cut it down and drilled a hole for some cord. Cheaper/ lighter and better grip than a tyto. Which I also own.

Also why would you carry the knife with a blade in it? I always carry the handle and 4-5 blades and only put it on when I need to use it, then remove it and put it back in the foil when I'm done with it. The little kydex sheath seems silly and unnecessary.

Last edited:
You are right about the sheath. It was a fun experiment, that I thought I might use if a blade wasn’t quite used up. I buy them by the hundred (blades) and almost never use the sheath.

I sent a message to Tyto awhile back asking if the 60A or 70A blades would fit because they are far superior than any other 60 blade I have tried. The response I got was all the blades are sourced from the same places and would fit. I don't believe them on the sourcing or Havalon does some additional sharpening because their blades are way sharper than most normal 60 blades. I like the A blades because the little bit of extra thickness means I almost never break a blade compared to the XT blades I would snap the backbone right over the attachment point.

Kotaman

WKR
I sent a message to Tyto awhile back asking if the 60A or 70A blades would fit because they are far superior than any other 60 blade I have tried. The response I got was all the blades are sourced from the same places and would fit. I don't believe them on the sourcing or Havalon does some additional sharpening because their blades are way sharper than most normal 60 blades. I like the A blades because the little bit of extra thickness means I almost never break a blade compared to the XT blades I would snap the backbone right over the attachment point.

I think I tried a 60A blade in mine this past weekend and couldn't get it to fit. Will have to try again...

EDIT: 60A’s work great...

Last edited:

Mi_fiveo

WKR
I use and prefer the 60a blades. I have some 60xt left over that also fit my Tyto.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mi_fiveo

WKR
afa2347326be4261dae32af2eb17b696.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ndbuck09

WKR
My question on all of this is: it seems that the batch of blades I have right now are more dull than they've been in the past?? I have the 70a. I had to use quite a few more blades this year on my elk than in the past. I've gutless methoded an elk with two blades before but this year I was up to 5-6? Have ya'll seen variances in your blade sharpness?