The Fighting Battle On Head Lamps

Tod osier

WKR
Thanks, Tod.

I found the 18650 Store which has a lot of options and some good info.

The output and run times on Zebra's website makes me believe switching is in order.

Yes, if you use the high/high setting sparingly (as in only when needed - it is bright, often too bright), there is no issue with battery life. My standard setting for trail walking and camp chores is med/high and the battery is supposed to last 70 hours at that setting.

bsnedeker

WKR
Do the Zebras have a red beam too or just white light?
I believe they are all single color. They do make a red zebralight that I have my eye on. I have yet to find a headlamp with a decent red beam for hiking in the dark. Most just have a red flood setting which is worthless to me. I'm hoping the red zebra will fit my needs.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

fwiw, I use Tenergy 18650 batteries and charger which I bought from Fenix. I have several flashlights which use the 18650 battery and it's really nice to have the interchangeability/overlap.

I use Zebralights. Both 600's with the most recent being a flood. The 120degr. spill is nice for lighting up an area and when hiking. The spot is very nice for reaching out to distance and finding that trail on the other side of the meadow, ravine or whatever.

Esse quam videri

I bought a Nitecore HC65 recently for getting to/from my tree stand. I like it a lot but I'm not 100% satisfied with it. I love the USB in light recharge feature and it puts out a lot of light. I usually just leave it on the low setting and have all of the light I need. I wish it had a good bit more throw and a higher output red light though.

Just a heads up - the MK II models are on sale for $59 on their website. I've been running the floody with neutral white (H600Fw) for a few years now and have no complaints. Its the one I would suggest.

As far as batteries, I run the Panasonic NCBs. Under $15 for a 2-pack on ebay.

4KDOA

FNG
Wicked head lamps here. Scan Pro model. runs on two 18650 lith-ion batteries. i use it for everything from around the house to predator hunting. can switch between red green or white with the turn of a switch or you can get color specific. love the fact that you can adjust the brightness depending on your needs. Not just low, med or high. Definitely not compact! But awesome.

oenanthe

WKR
I've got a H52w (that takes AAs) and a H600w Mk III. The 'w' suffix on Zebralights indicates a neutral white LED.

As far as chargers I have an Xtar VC2 that plugs in to USB, and a XTAR VP2 that plugs into 120V with a wall wart.

For batteries, I do have a single high-capacity 18650 Panasonic that I use when I'm only taking one battery and I want it to be a good one. Otherwise I use 18650s that are salvaged from laptop power packs. Most laptop batteries these days use 18650 cells. When a laptop battery goes bad it's usually just one or two cells that fail - you can cut the pack open (carefully!) and remove all the cells. I like to discharge them 'fully' (to 3.2V) in my headlamp and then charge them back up - the VC2 charger will tell you how many mAh the battery took which will tell you if it is still any good. If a cell won't hold 2000 mAh or so I usually just put it in the electronics recycling bin.

Joseph08

Lil-Rokslider
Being an avid waterfowl guy I am always using headlamps as well for my big game. I always had 2 or 3 head lamps in my pack or blind bag at a time cause battery's don't last or never got charged or there just not bright enough. I have been running the Black Diamond head lamps now and they actually work!!!! I just like how bright the lumens are and how long the battery's last on them. I am in the field or over a pond setting up 60-80 dozen full body decoys and sure takes awhile and I have to have a lamp that will last me 3 to 4 hrs non stop and be bright. Just want to know which head lamps have you guys found that last and have a DAMN bright light?

Thanks for the info. Well, i own this Survival LED Headlamp. Since, i often go for camping, this headlamp has worked good enough for me.

rbljack

WKR
I just pulled the trigger on the red 502r headlamp... I'll let everyone know what I think then it arrives.

Please do. I run a zebra 600 when I need stupid bright..and save that one for blood trailing, hiking when it gets steep, and other key tasks when I need a lot of lumens. I also have the H52 in white and a petzl elight. What I am missing is a red lens option because the red on the elight just isn't enough IMO. Im debating trading out my H52 for either a Black diamnond storm or revolt, OR..going with the 502R from zebralight (intstead of the H52 white).

bsnedeker

WKR
Please do. I run a zebra 600 when I need stupid bright..and save that one for blood trailing, hiking when it gets steep, and other key tasks when I need a lot of lumens. I also have the H52 in white and a petzl elight. What I am missing is a red lens option because the red on the elight just isn't enough IMO. Im debating trading out my H52 for either a Black diamnond storm or revolt, OR..going with the 502R from zebralight (intstead of the H52 white).

You make an interesting comment about the elight...as of today that is actually my go-to headlamp for red light as it has the most focused beam and the only one that allows me to follow game-trails effectively which is usually what I'm trying to do in the morning in the dark. Of course, the elight ISN'T focused at all, but it does end up giving a decent spot of red light that works ok...I do agree that it isn't sufficient though, which is why I'm looking for another solution.

I currently have a BD storm and the red light on it is garbage for hiking. I'm guessing the zebra light is going to be a bit of overkill for me, but I'd rather overkill than underkill!

mcseal2

WKR
I like the Black Diamond Re Volt the best of the ones I've tried. I carry a battery pack for charging my phone and Steripen anyway, I like knowing my headlamp is topped off every morning when I unplug it and put it back in the pack. I carry a Fenix 1AAA light with a lithium battery in my bino harness so I always have a light on my person. Between the light built into my I phone, the light built into my battery pack, and both of these I think I carry to much light. I have a Petzl E Lite in my emergency kit too now that I think of it, I might have to adjust this. Light is one thing it's darn inconvenient to be without though.

- - - Updated - - -

Walking in for whitetail or predators before daylight I use this little cap light with the red lens. I don't know that it would be enough for navigating unfamiliar territory. When I'm walking the same land that I ranch on and know and just need to make sure I don't step on a stick it's perfect. The white light works for saddling my horse or quartering a deer too. I like that I can direct the red light almost straight down in front of my feet so it's even harder for anything but me to see. I also like that the red and white light are separate buttons. The white light will drain the battery pretty quick.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Bushnell-65-Lumen-Multi-Color-Hat-Light/34349990

Last edited:

bsnedeker

WKR
Ok, so I got my zebra 502r yesterday...I am impressed! It's much smaller and lighter than I would have thought. I went walking through my woods last night and was able to follow game trails very effectively.

It is definitely a flood, and doesn't give any kind of spot. However, on high I had good visibility for about 20 yards. I could make out my dog from about 40 yards, and his eyes reflected back to me at around 50. I think this is going to be perfect for hiking in the morning for me at least.