The Fighting Battle On Head Lamps

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Being an avid waterfowl guy I am always using headlamps as well for my big game. I always had 2 or 3 head lamps in my pack or blind bag at a time cause battery's don't last or never got charged or there just not bright enough. I have been running the Black Diamond head lamps now and they actually work!!!! I just like how bright the lumens are and how long the battery's last on them. I am in the field or over a pond setting up 60-80 dozen full body decoys and sure takes awhile and I have to have a lamp that will last me 3 to 4 hrs non stop and be bright. Just want to know which head lamps have you guys found that last and have a DAMN bright light?

kickemall

WKR
Beendare on here has a recent thread on headlamps with great info. Search his posts and you should find it.

I use Black Diamond too. I have both the Spot and the Storm, along with an old model I bought about 15 years ago (still going strong, but can't compete with the lumens of newer models).

Wassid82

WKR
I have several and have always loved the black diamond light but a few years ago I switched to petzl react lights. They are way brighter and switch back and forth between beam setting based on the distance you are looking so I don’t have to manually adjust them. I’ve found this to be very handy at times. The batteries could last longer but I use a solar charger during the day to recharge it. Works well for me

mtnkid85

WKR
Ive been using zebra lights for quite a while now and when ever I go back and try the petzl/bd/ptech lamps I immediately miss my zebra.

Simple UI, bright and long run times

I’ve had great results with various petzels over the years. I have a few cheap older ones that still keep kicking. They actually go between my truck and my bag. I also have one of the e lights as a back up. I’ve used them on all night pack outs with good success.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wolfey

FNG
Zebralight, Olite, fenix,skillhunt and armytek are all great. Whichever light you get make sure it's neutral white not cool white.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

K

Kootenay Hunter

I have an older Fenix HP10. 4 Levels of brightness, can be extremely bright if needed, it's alittle heavy with the four-pack battery.

My new backpack lamp is a Princeton Tec Vizz. I run LiIon AAA in it, definitely bright enough, not sure what the battery life will be as I use it sparingly most of the time.

Do you run lithium batteries in your lamps? Some are specifically designed to be able to run them but many other it will just work. I've notice huge battery life extension using lithium over alkaline. Also, lithium supposedly works better in cooler/cold weather.

My only complaint with modern day lamps with led lights is that the colour temp (bright white) is hard on the eyes after some time, especially when using a spot beam. I wish they used something in the 4000-5000k range

I was a petzl guy. I got a fenix and a zebra last year. After a year I prefer the zebra. Lighter and just as bright. The fenix bezel is on the front of the “barrel” vs to the side like the zebra. It bounces when you walk a bit and quite a bit if you run with it.

Only thing I miss is the red light I had on my petzl.

Black diamond storm is the only headlamp that has ever crapped out on me....on a pack out in heavy snow and oak brush. Zebra and nitecore for me now with no issues.

Olight S1baton
I’ve been using it for 2+ years for work every day. Handy pocket/brim of hat clip for hands-free operation. Waterproof and has been submerged numerous times as well as been through the washing machine numerous times with no I’ll effect. Magnetic tail cap is pretty handy too. It’s been through several unplanned drop tests and keeps on working.
I run their standard rechargeable batteries and keep a spare in my pocket. They have a newer model which I got for my son that charges via micro USB port directly into the battery.
The light is bright enough on its highest setting to shine trees while coon hunting. Most of the time I use it on the first level setting and it’s bright enough to do 90% of what I need without going to the mid or a high-level and using my battery faster

Last edited:

oenanthe

WKR
Zebralight for me. I have a AA version and a 18650 version. After 30 years of regularly updating headlamps and accumulating a box full I am done.

I bought my first Zebralight about 4 years ago, treated myself to a 2nd one 2 years ago. Perfectly happy with both of them.

I'm a bit of a headlamp junkie and own a number of different models and brands. When I MUST have maximum battery life, brightness and ultimate dependability, I reach for my Zebralight. It's not even close to a debate. I've had my Zeeb out on several extended hunts lasting more than 10 days and have yet to deplete the 18650 battery. I carry an extra battery and have never used it once.

Fatcamp

WKR
Would you guys mind sharing some information on which specific models of Zebra lights you are using, and more importantly, the brand of 18650 batteries and chargers you use?

AA is so easy, but I am brave enough to try new things. So many options.

Tod osier

WKR
Would you guys mind sharing some information on which specific models of Zebra lights you are using, and more importantly, the brand of 18650 batteries and chargers you use?

AA is so easy, but I am brave enough to try new things. So many options.

There is a lot going into the step into 18650, but it was was worth it for me. Kevin was one of the people I remember giving advice that really convinced me. Part of the issue is the making choices in the realm of 18650 is complicated because there are a lot of choices. I have 3 identical zebra lights, one for wife, son and I. They are neutral tone floody lights. I bought Panasonic/Sanyo ncr18650ga batteries, which hit the sweet spot for me as far as value/performance. I needed 6 batteries and they have been great. Many name brand batteries use these with their own wrapper and add ons. They are unprotected - read up on protected 18650s to made an informed choice. My charger is an star vp4. Also tons of options there.

Love the zebra light and 18650s. Last forever, bright as I’ve ever needed. Light. Easy to use day to day (I spent more time than I would in theory messing with programming the levels, tho). I would change the controls as far as what does what (eliminate 3 clicks for strobe), it takes a refresher thought if you don’t use it for a while and want to hit the exact level first try. Now that I type that it sounds complicated, so I guess it is as complicated as you want it to be. In practice, you put it on your head and push a button, easy.

Last edited:

Fatcamp

WKR
Thanks, Tod.

I found the 18650 Store which has a lot of options and some good info.

The output and run times on Zebra's website makes me believe switching is in order.

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Veron16