Hydration systems & Water pumps

Codyk315

FNG
What is everyone using for pumping water? Thinking that we will take 2 different hydrations systems, one packed by each person, so that if something happens to one we can still get water. Thinking steripen and then....? Would the MSR miniworks or the Katadyne Hiker Pro be better? Or is there another pump out there that is better?

bsnedeker

WKR
I've been using the same katadyn for only 4 years, but agree with previous post. A pump is the most versatile water filtration device in my opinion as you can pull from just about any water source. If I'm going to an area where the water is questionable this is what I take, and since almost all of my backcountry hunting is out of state this is the filter I use 95% of the time!

If I'm lucky and going to an area where I know I'll be able to find freely flowing streams I often pack my sawyer squeeze as it's much lighter.

jolemons

WKR
Katadyn with camelback quick connects. Pump water right into bladder without removing from pack.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

OP
Codyk315

Codyk315

FNG
Anyone have issues with the filter clogging? What about the filter life of the Katadyne? It seems to be significantly shorter than the MSR..

bwhntMT

Lil-Rokslider
I have been using the Steripen as well as a gravity system with a Sawyer filter inline and quick disconnects. I prefer that to the weight and work of the pumps myself. When it is going to drop below freezing, I only bring the Steripen. A lot depends on the initial quality and clarity of the water source. Luckily the water source in my primary area is good enough that I don't have to screen out a bunch of crud first.

I just bring a lifestraw ($25) and a good sized nalgene bottle. It's a cheap set up but its light weight and works very well for me. Plus you can drink from small pockets of water that some other systems would not be able to utilize.

I personally use a sawyer squeeze and have tablets as backup. It's light, inexpensive to replace, and has always done well for me. If I had more standing vs running water I may consider a pump, but around here I get my water from either a moving stream or a bigger lake/reservoir.

Hydration systems & Water pumps

Katadyn Hiker Pro with Aqua Mira drops as a back up has served me well for a few years. Bought a SteriPen towards the end of last season but still don’t 100% trust the magic it uses to treat water. (Doesn’t seem right in my head). Picked up an MSR Trailshot because a buddy tried it and liked it. Haven’t had a chance to use it yet but it’s crazy light for a pump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Swampr42

FNG
Our group switched to gravity filter bags this year. I have the 3.7 liter Sawyer and my buddy has the Gravityworks. The Gravity works is a little faster than my Sawyer because it has a larger filter. Either way it only takes 4-5 minutes to filter almost 4 liters of water with either kit. My sawyer weighs about 9oz with the quick connectors I put on it. Also I can run my sawyer filter on a bottle or small 1 liter reservoir bag as a squeeze system if needed.