Helinox Tactical Swivel Chair

Dobermann

WKR
Has anyone here used the Helinox Tactical Swivel Chair? A search of this site suggests it hasn't been discussed here before.

s-l500.jpg

s-l500a.jpg

While it's 330 grams / 11.64 ounces heavier than the Helinox 'Chair One', I can see value in potential greater stability while moving, the ability to move smoothly while glassing (and possibly even taking a shot), and general efficiency of movement when reaching for cooking stuff, etc during camp use. Besides that, the Chair One in Multicam is showing as being sold out, and I'm not a fan of the black mesh on the Chair One.

The Tactical Swivel Chair is part of Helinox's 'Tactical' line. The full list of their other 'tactical' stuff is here: Tactical Line – Helinox

Specs for the Tactical Swivel Chair can still be found here: Tactical Swivel Chair / MultiCam(R) – Helinox

I'll copy the key info below in case that link ever disappears, so we have a record:

Based on the award winning Swivel Chair, the Tactical Swivel Chair features the same smooth 360 degree swiveling seat, now with military inspired colors and features. The Tactical Swivel Chair has cargo pockets on both sides of the seat for storage of your cell phone or other small items. There is also a velcro patch on the seat rear where you may attach a reflector for nighttime visibility.

Weight
1220 g / 2.69 lbs (without case)
1360 g / 3.00 lbs (with case)

Dimensions
Chair Height: 70 cm / 27.6 in
Seat Height: 39 cm / 15.4 in
Seat Width: 53 cm / 20.9 in
Case: 40 cm W x 14 cm H / 15.7 in W x 5.5 in H

Capacity
120 kg / 265 lbs

The Tactical Swivel in Multicam is currently showing as 'sold out' (rather than just temporarily unavailable) on the Helinox International Store, but they do still list a Coyote: Tactical Swivel Chair / Coyote Tan – Helinox Thought I should add that link here, as on my screen, it looks almost pink, so I'd skipped over it!

The Tactical in either Multicam or Coyote is not showing on Amazon currently.

Helinox do also make another swivel chair, still available in Multicam, as part of their 'Outdoor' line: Swivel Chair / Multicam – Helinox

ba1c8e37f42393784af5cecdcbb92480_ad3ca8e5-ed0a-49ce-b942-9d8a86b4c2fb_grande.jpg

Specs for the Outdoor Line model are as follows:

Weight
1175 g / 2.59 lbs (without case)
1280 g / 2.82 lbs (with case)

Dimensions
Chair Height: 70 cm / 27.6 in
Seat Height: 39 cm / 15.4 in
Seat Width: 50 cm / 19.7 in
Case: 40 cm W x 14 cm H / 15.7 in W x 5.5 in H

Capacity
120 kg / 265 lbs

I've pulled the trigger on the Tactical model to trial. Personally, the extra 45 grams / ounce-and-a-half for the Tactical just isn't an issue. But the cargo pockets on the side of the Tactical could be helpful ... and I'm just not a fan of that potentially shiny black mesh on the Outdoor model.

As note above, the Tactical model is no longer available from Helinox direct, and doesn't show on Amazon.

However, if anyone's interested - and wants to move quickly! - I tracked it down at a couple of places.

First was an eBay seller called 'elegentle_korea'. Current link is here: Access Denied It's worth looking at all of their listings, though, as they had a couple for different prices, and their store page states that they're currently offering free shipping until the end of November. When I asked them, they said this was on auction items only, not buy it now listings.

The other two options were stores selling through Rakuten. This is a Japanese portal similar to Amazon. I've used it before with no problems.

First seller is 'gaku online shop'. The current listing for the Multicam version is here: http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/gaku/item/1185702/

The second seller is 'OutdoorStyle Sunday Mountain'. Their current listing for the Multicam version is here: http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/canpanera/item/h04008/

Well ... took a while to do the research, hunt this puppy down, and then capture it all here, so I hope that's helpful for someone! If anyone else picks one up from this post, please let me know.

And if you've used one before, let us know your thoughts.

OP
D

Dobermann

WKR
Hi Muley,

Looks like a good alternative. Interesting that they market it as 'ultralight' when it's the same weight as the Helinox ... makes me feel a bit better about that overall weight!

Is the fabric on the Trekk shiny? Looks like it might be from their photos and video ... I'm hoping that the Helinox Tactical will be fairly low-signature ...

oldgoat

WKR
We have a couple of the One chairs, really like them but they sink into the ground to easy, wish they would make an add on mud foot for soft soil applications

My wife and I have used them backpacking a couple times. I don't think they have a shine to them. As Oldgoat said though they do sink into the ground easy. Some people have come up with home made feet to stop this.

Bobbyh

FNG
Anyone use the other cheaper brands from amazon? They look identical I just wonder what the quality is like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dotman

WKR
We have a couple of the One chairs, really like them but they sink into the ground to easy, wish they would make an add on mud foot for soft soil applications

They do, it is the accessory ball feet, solves the sinking problem but adds about a lb in weight.

OP
D

Dobermann

WKR
Here's the Helinox ball feet:

Helinox chair ball feet.jpg

And someone posted the Leki 'fitness' rubber tip as a possible solution on another thread here:

Leki rubber tip.jpg

chmusar

FNG
I bought a chair from aliexpress ,it is a exact copy ,same weight and pack size and about the quarter of the price ,had it about a year and has held up well . I use old squash balls for the legs to stop them sinking into the ground

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

mrgreen

WKR
I lost a Hellinox foot deeeep in the ground in a turkey blind. After that I tried a few solutions, the Leki feet, the Ball feet, homemade PVC pipe 'runners', I finally settled on the Helinox Ground Sheet. Light weight, works great.

JDeanP

Lil-Rokslider
Helinox chairs are comfortable and comfortable for hours on end. Ive had mine all over North America and even some more distant lands. Everyone wants to steal it from me. Ive done everything from take a nap in it, to wait for 8ish hours over a bear bait. My favorite hunting seat to date. I like the fact that I can stand up/sit down with both hands on my bow and not need to stabilize with an off hand to do so.

Ive only used the original chair, but if the new one is built as well, its worth the cash.

I just purchased the one (non-swivel) that REI puts out, on sale for $59. Weighs 28 oz. with stuff sack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Picked up the Helinox Ground Chair this fall. Awesome piece of kit, at 1.3 lbs.

I was a little skeptical if it would work for me. Capacity is advertised as 265 lbs, and I'm 6'3" 230 lbs. No problem, it is great to sit and glass from with a tripod/spotter, or binos. I have old lower back injuries, and this chair makes it so nice to sit comfortably with back support. I can stay in place and still for a long time.

The base of the Ground Chair doesn't sink, and is plenty stable. Getting in and out is easy with a pivot in/out using your hand or fist on the ground to rotate on.

tracker12

WKR
The Chair One is great. One of the best purchases I made last year. Spend 5 days in the back country with guys that don't have one an see how many times they try to sit in it.

FlyGuy

WKR
Thank you for posting this. I've been looking for a better seating option for WTD hunting on public land. Need something light to pack in and out, and less likely to sink into this sandy soil than my current stool. Really like the idea of a chair for longer hunts, but didnt want the restricted movement, so I was stoked when I found the helinox swivel (not stoked over the price tag though). I had just found the REI version, and probably would have gotten it, paired with the ground cloth to help with the sand, but I had no idea a camo/tactical version even existed. Going with the sportsman version. Not sure I'd pack this much weight in on an extended backpack elk hunt in CO, but for day hunts I think it might be just what I'm looking for.

JDeanP

Lil-Rokslider
Not sure I'd pack this much weight in on an extended backpack elk hunt in CO, but for day hunts I think it might be just what I'm looking for.

Not sure how much more the swivel weighs than the original, I've done both with mine and have never regretted the weight.

OP
D

Dobermann

WKR
As in the original post, the Tactical Swivel is 330 grams / 11.64 ounces heavier than the Helinox 'Chair One'.