Head lamps

What do you guys use? I have a lamp that is ok. It has several settings plus a red lense so you don't blind anybody. The only problem I have with it is it has a push button on the top and more than once I've taken it out of my pack to find it dead because the button got pushed while in the pack. I carry spare batteries but it's still a pain. Are there any head lamps with an actual turn switch or something along those lines?

I picked up a Fenix HL55 off of Promotove (now called Experticity), a couple years ago, for pretty cheap, and love it. It uses a single 18650 rechargeable battery, which I was very reluctant about, but it has a very long life between recharging (something like 150 hours on its lowest setting). It has 5 brightness levels, with the highest being 900 lumens, which throws out some serious light. It's not the lightest headlamp on the market (5.8 oz. with battery), but it's super durable, waterproof, and has worked very well for me.

Wingert

FNG
I use the Princeton Tec Vizz. It has the ability to lock the on/off so you don't accidentally turn it on while in your pack. It has a Red LED, 3 modes, waterproof and made in the USA.

oenanthe

WKR
I usually chime in on these threads to recommend Zebralight; been really happy with my H52w.

But it doesn't have a red LED. To keep a Zebralight from turning on accidentally in your pack, all you have to do is unscrew the tail cap a couple of turns. It won't fall off, as the o-ring still provides a little friction.

Bwana

WKR
I usually chime in on these threads to recommend Zebralight; been really happy with my H52w.

I run Zebra H600 series headlamps, always with 18650 cells for max burn time...you can make a red filter set-up with a small piece of plastic/Plex...and it slides under the tube holder, doesn't effect switch operation in any way.

View attachment 45005

View attachment 45006

RiUWwOB.jpglpY071l.jpg

Last edited:

Rs3003

WKR
I use a black diamond storm 160 lumen. I like it. They now have a 250 lumen.

Bwana

WKR
That's a great idea, thanks

FYI: I also found some heavy duty red plastic dinner wear(package 10)at the grocery store, real heavy thick Chinese stuff, not the wimpy Chinese stuff :) Gave it to the wife for holiday dinners, she was thrilled til she saw I stole all the spoons out of the package :cool: But the round spoon shape, that's offset by the handle gives the bezel a little room to breath cool air.

You can make them out of car tail lenses too, I found a broken one in my neighbors garbage(yes I admit it, was picking my neighbors garbage)....work great for the Zebra problem, Surefire makes slide on lens filters but easy to lose in the pack.

OP
fort fireman
I have a promotive( Experticity) account. I'll take a look and see what's on there. I think I've seen petzl before. Thanks guys.

I just like the red so I don't blow my hunting buddies eyes if I look at him in the dark on the trail. Or my own in the tent for that matter.

lkwoolsey

WKR
I use a black diamond storm 160 lumen. I like it. They now have a 250 lumen.
X2 on this, black diamond storm is pretty good. I just picked up the 250 lumen version and it is bright!

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

MattB

WKR
I have been happy with the BD but even with the feature to deactivate the power button from getting bumped on it still turns on in my pack from time to time.

kodiakfly

WKR
I like Princeton Tec, and they're on Promotive. But I liked them before that. I'll admit, I can't remember which model it is, but I like their "big" one. It was 250, then 275 I think and now 300 lumens. I dunno...I have three of them over the past few years and keep one in the truck, hunt with one, keep one in the boat. They're waterproof, affordable, bright as heck, made in USA and they've been tough for me. Buttons are easy to work, but never had one come on in my pocket or accidentally.

Frito

Lil-Rokslider
I use a Princeton Tec Remix and I love it. There's no red light but it has an extremely low setting and it will spot light well. The battery life is amazing. It does have the button on top like yours but I've never had it turn on unintentionally.

gdog

Lil-Rokslider
I want to try the Petzl Reactik +. The "active" lighting seems like a pretty cool feature. Need to order one through Experticity.