New hunting knife recommendations

The Ruana 5AD is a great knife. I was given one for my retirement with some extra custom touches put on it. Man I really like it. Used it on my antelope and hopefully a deer and an elk here shortly.

RUANA KNIVES - BONNER, MONTANA

Hard to beat the Buck Vanguard too. Great blade shape for just about any use and the size it perfect. Buck makes a good knife.

https://www.buckknives.com/product/vanguard-knife/0192FAM01/

Benchmade makes one heck of a knife too. I just got the Benchmade Saddle Mountain for a friend. Really like that one. Again nice shape and size and the blade is perfect for a variety of tasks.

Benchmade Saddle Mountain Skinner Family

adamm88

WKR
Another vote for bark river, i had a aurora that was a great gutting and gillin knife, i wish I never traded it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mcmurder77

Lil-Rokslider
All the above, and also Helle makes some great knives.
I have been buying Helle blanks, and then making my own custom handles and sheath’s.
6971908c028765b064756af93539d3c1.jpg

Spyderco Moran drop point. VG10.
Broke down a whole elk last year and is still popping hair.
Great shape and handle.

mcseal2

WKR
I have a bunch I like. Lots of great ones have been mentioned. My favorite fixed blade knives for game are a custom D2 steel Personal by Harvey King and a Battle Horse Blackwater in O1. Both are real comfortable and hold a good edge. I do carry a Cabelas ceramic steel that weighs 2.5oz when I pack one of these I use more than I really need to. A friend who is an elk outfitter got me started carrying a steel. He had a VG10 steel Spyderco folder and would use it after every quarter to keep that razor edge.

I like the Havalon and Outdoor edge replacable blade knives also on game. I like the Piranta for caping but prefer a bit larger blade personally for everything else. The Outdoor Edge is my favorite of them for all around use. One blade on the Outdoor Edge lasts a long time if I hit it on the ceramic steel when using it around home, and I can bring a used one right back to razor sharpness with it also when I get home. That said I don't like being out to far without a sturdier blade. I would probably never break one of these knives to where I couldn't use it, but I never want one to be my only blade. Just a personal thing for my peace of mind.

When counting ounces I use an old Gerber Bolt Action Exchange blade folding knife. I have picked up a few spare blades so I can swap them out as I dull one like a Havalon or Outdoor Edge, but still have a sturdier knife with me. The knife, 2 spare blades, plastic blade sleeves for the spare blades, and a Gerber sheath for a different knife I keep the blades in weighs under 5oz. I can lighten it up more carrying only one blade without the case but usually don't. I carry the knife with the drop point Utility blade in it for camp chores or other cutting I find reason to do. When I get to game processing the guthook Skinner and the Hunter blades get used, and are still razor sharp since I didn't use them for other stuff. Those knives can be found on Ebay used, I think they were made from the mid 80's to the mid 90's. Between the 3 blade shapes there is a perfect one for most stuff. It's heavier than a Havalon or Outdoor Edge with spare blades, but is a heavier built knife and really safe to change blades on. There is a saw blade for it too but I seldom carry it. If I want a saw I would rather have a larger one than the 4" saw for the Gerber knife.

AZElk

FNG
My go to knife in the backcountry is a ESEE Izula II. I know that they have become very popular as or recent but I was using the Izula before they came into the hunting world. I like its skeletonized handle and the ease of cleaning. For the money it is a solid knife that holds a good edge while being small enough to handle any skinning or deboning I need to do.

colersu22

WKR
The new Benchmade Altitude the guys from Born and Raised Outdoors looks pretty sweet but I think they mentioned it isn't available till January,

OP
A

AGPank

WKR
Great input, I learned about some new options for sure.

I will keep an eye out on Bark River, a new brand I learned about.

I like the Benchmade hunt series and keeping an eye on them too.

I’ve always like Spyderco, but considered them tactical style knives. I like the Bill Moran mentioned here and found one on eBay for under $70.

I like that ESEE Izula too, looks like a good profile and reasonable price.

I liked the Buck Alpha series, I saw them years ago and they were reasonably priced, but now since they are discontinued they are more expensive and hard to find (ATS steel).

IChaseCoues

Lil-Rokslider
How much does that Jantz #45 weigh (assuming that's what's pictured)?

Totally geeking out on cutting more weight from my kill kit haha.
I don't have the weight of the Jantz 45 with me right now but I'm pretty sure it's about 2oz with sheath. Ill try to weigh it when I get back home.

The knife in the picture is the Kestrel Ovis skeleton. It weighs 34 grams or just over an ounce.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Owenst7

WKR
I don't have the weight of the Jantz 45 with me right now but I'm pretty sure it's about 2oz with sheath. Ill try to weigh it when I get back home.

The knife in the picture is the Kestrel Ovis skeleton. It weighs 34 grams or just over an ounce.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Those are sweet. Gonna stick to my Havalon after checking the prices though haha.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I'm down to just a benchmade hidden canyon hunter and a havalon piranha edge. Between those 2 I don't really need anything else.

diesel7

Banned
I have a local guide, that’s been trying out and testing some blades for me. He seems to be rather impressed. I’m using a simple carbon steel, that touches up really easy in the field. He said he sharpened his knife up on a river rock, because he forgot his sharpener.

ESEE 4 should fit your needs . 1095 steel and lifetime warranty. I have used the 4 and Izula for years and am very happy with them.