New hunting knife recommendations

If you're on the face space look up northern shores rocks and more. Never used them or know anybody that has BUT somebody showed them to me the other day and they're real purdy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm currently looking to pick up a first fixed blade. What are everyone's thoughts on the Mora Kansbol? I haven't seen much mentioned about that, but it looks very interesting to me.

boom

WKR
I just finished fondling the new Benchmade Puukko. It’s wildly fantastic. I think it will be a great great hunting knife.

KayLee

FNG
I carry multiple knives with me hunting, but I got to use my new Outdoor Edge Razor-Pro this year on my mule deer that I had to quarter and it zips through the hide pretty easily. The knife and replaceable blades are pretty inexpensive. I do love my Benchmade knife too though, but I have to sharpen it often.

robtattoo

WKR
I hope I don't overstep here, but I'm intentionally going to be a dick.....

A: Describe YOUR 'field dressing'

If all you need to do is gut a deer, literally anything with a sharp edge will work. I've honestly done it with a Zwickey 2 blade broadhead before now.....
If you need to gut & skin, anything made by a knife manufacturer will suffice.
If you're gutting, skinning & quartering, then a well made, well designed 4" boning knife would be perfect (my preference is Victorinox, with the fibrox handle)
If you need to completely bone out a big critter, possibly via the gutless method, I'd still suggest the Vicky boner.

I've come to understand, over the years, that it really doesn't matter. A knife is honestly, just a knife! In the field, you're really not having to make complex or precise cuts. A nice, spendy, high quality custom blade makes us feel good, but my $6 victorinox paring knife (with the awesome pink polyethylene handle) does the job just as efficiently as my $2,000 Karl Andersen custom built Damascus takedown hunter with the figured, English, walnut burl handle & hot blued fittings.......

^^Fully agree. That’s why my customs and heirlooms stay at home, though I do take one particular heirloom out in certain hunts and take my utility knife. It does its job.

To the six pages of good opinions, let me add mine. I like the Cold Steel Pendleton Hunter with CPM3V steel. It stays sharp, the blade is plenty long enough and still is easily controlled. The handle is a type of rubber that is not slippery even when your hand has blood and fat on it.

I started like many with a Buck 110 folder. 20 knives later , all of which did the job I end up here with a Howe. Really like it. I think I paid $175 for it.
Water Buffalo handle. Cant remember the steel but it holds an edge through a deer field dress , skinning and boneout and is pretty easy to sharpen so I touch up several times just to keep it as sharp as when I start.6B55B762-AB31-4BBE-BF62-42157E56EE8A.jpeg

I hope I don't overstep here, but I'm intentionally going to be a dick.....

A: Describe YOUR 'field dressing'

If all you need to do is gut a deer, literally anything with a sharp edge will work. I've honestly done it with a Zwickey 2 blade broadhead before now.....
If you need to gut & skin, anything made by a knife manufacturer will suffice.
If you're gutting, skinning & quartering, then a well made, well designed 4" boning knife would be perfect (my preference is Victorinox, with the fibrox handle)
If you need to completely bone out a big critter, possibly via the gutless method, I'd still suggest the Vicky boner.

I've come to understand, over the years, that it really doesn't matter. A knife is honestly, just a knife! In the field, you're really not having to make complex or precise cuts. A nice, spendy, high quality custom blade makes us feel good, but my $6 victorinox paring knife (with the awesome pink polyethylene handle) does the job just as efficiently as my $2,000 Karl Andersen custom built Damascus takedown hunter with the figured, English, walnut burl handle & hot blued fittings.......

Yup all that's true :)

But I get a lot more satisfaction using one of my fiddlebacks or bark rivers then a broadhead or a cheaper knife... Tho an iron will would be a decent field gutting knife... Ultralight guys, just skip the knife all together and use a broadhead...

For me... I look at things like edge retention, toughness, corrosion resistance etc... Knives are a hobby unto themselves for me and I enjoy "testing" new blades when the animal goes down... A Savage axis or some other cheap rifle works just as well as a Tikka, sako, christensen etc... But one is prettier, more fun, and has higher pride of ownership then the other.

I will say, when im breaking the quarters down in the garage, the simple victorinox butcher/boning knives do get the most work tho:)

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

EastMT

WKR
I really prefer the victorinox knives for all field work, as we backback everything out. I make my own knives also and give them to family and friends, there is something nice when you are using your own handmade knife in the field.

33cd325390a151de23ff22eb4eea4ab4.jpg
33cd325390a151de23ff22eb4eea4ab4.jpg
b3c2ff8f8b13500ea3d37856e1421ca7.jpg
e3ee7905bdb1c9d283acbc5fd8aadda5.jpg

I have yet to be begin to procrastinate.

boom

WKR
Yup all that's true :)

But I get a lot more satisfaction using one of my fiddlebacks or bark rivers then a broadhead or a cheaper knife... Tho an iron will would be a decent field gutting knife... Ultralight guys, just skip the knife all together and use a broadhead...

For me... I look at things like edge retention, toughness, corrosion resistance etc... Knives are a hobby unto themselves for me and I enjoy "testing" new blades when the animal goes down... A Savage axis or some other cheap rifle works just as well as a Tikka, sako, christensen etc... But one is prettier, more fun, and has higher pride of ownership then the other.

I will say, when im breaking the quarters down in the garage, the simple victorinox butcher/boning knives do get the most work tho:)

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

well said. this applies to everything. what about the vehicle we take to the woods? 90% of the time, i bet a Prius would get me there. hell, my buddy does take a Prius. (he hides it and jumps in my truck when we meet somewhere - his gas bill dwarfs mine).

it's all about perspective. it's nice to use a good tool to perform a task. but distill it down, it is just still a tool.

that Victorinox Paring knife. i have one. i hate it. i even had a kydex sheath made for it. the edge is good, but not long lasting, and it's really light. i demoted it to my picnic basket knife. the boning knife is much much better. great almost. at home, i use my Wustof boning knife.

i'm going elk hunting soon. i'll probably take my $14 Mora.. oh, i just did buy a used Benchmade Puukko a few minutes ago.