New hunting knife recommendations

AGPank

WKR
I recently have upgraded many kitchen knives to a higher quality Japanese steel knives (MAC, Misono, Miyabi, a couple other small manufacturers). It was amazing the upgrade it was over my German steel knives (Henckels).

This had me thinking about upgrading my hunting knives, well at least one new one and really focus on a high quality steel and good shape for field dressing.

Current knives.
1. Kershaw folder - model 1060. Knife is over 25 years old and has been my go to hunting knife. My only real problem with this knife is cleaning it after use.
2. Puma fixed - Puma Tec Bowie. A very comfortable knife, better blade shape for skinning and boning than field dressing.

I have a cold steel recon tanto that I keep in my tuck for emergency use. Never seemed like a good shape for hunting and the thickness is just too much.

Sometimes I carry a SOG field pup for utility use. It's light weight, but feels like it could break under heavy use (especially compared to a cold steel blade).

I'm honing my sharpening skills on a set of whetstones and plan on that for the knife.
I'm looking for a fixed blade knife 4-6" blade length. I'd like a high carbon steel with good edge retention. I'm open to stainless,but would welcome which type is preferred. I open to recommendations on blade shape for field dressing. I'd like to stay with a production knife. I'd like to keep the budget under $125.

Lawnboi

WKR
Maybe over your budget, but check out bark river. Many knife shapes and sizes, made in many different steel choices. I myself am a huge fan of A2. I have a huntsman that has taken care of 7 deer since I got it last year. Not one of those deer required a sharpening during field dressing if it was done, quartering and deboning, including popping joints on the legs. And back to shaving sharp after a minute on the strop.

Iv had a few Japanese kitchen knives, still own one, a Nakiri made by who I don't remember. amazing what they can do, but most of my kitchen knives are also made by bark river up in Michigan. They make a heck of a knife, almost custom quality. And if your handy with a stone, sandpaper and a strop, they can be made crazy sharp. I like when all my knives will pop hair.

That said I just had a custom made that may replace my hunting knife.

I finally decided to "buy once, cry once" and bought this dozier. I've always bought cheap knives and am at a point in my life now where i just want to get the thing i really want and be done with it. dozier has a long waiting list for customs but you can find them on ag russell or on his website occassionally. can't wait to put it to the test.

c157bfebc67bca45ca50a376b20b0c2a.jpg

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Trial153

WKR
Dozier, Ingram or May....those are the only three names you need to know in hunting knives .

frankrb3

WKR
I would also suggest looking at the bark river knives. They have some great knife profiles that would be excellent for hunting and many different options to chose from. I really like the look of the Bravo 1 field, the gameskeepers, and the huntsmans.

I think esee 4 is about the best deal going in a production knife.

Check out winkler if you want something more spendy.

boom

WKR
that Dozier above is badass!!! i'd prefer a leather sheath tho..

the knife i own, on top of the pecking order; is my Adventure Sworn Explorer. O-1 steel..super easy to sharpen, and it is a bonifide straight razor. sadly, i have only broken down turkey with it..i'm having troubles getting a deer to cooperate.

maybe next week! :)

Also recommend bark river... I have used the gunny, fox river, rising wolf, aurora, and bravo 1.25 lt for hunting... favorites for hunting are the fox river and rising wolf. Heads up, they are convex... requires a slightly different sharpening technique.
Have them in A2, 3V, and S35VN - all 3 area great hunting steals - s35vn is stainless, others are high carbon/tool steels. If I had to pick a steel, 3V.

Trial153

WKR
that's barely dipping your toe in the pool.
I was trying to keep its simple lol ...i have well over 150 knives from probably 30 plus different custom knife makers. a bunch of years back I set a personal limit of 100...it hasn't worked out so well. I been thining the herd a bit but I need to keep working on it.

I sold that exzact dozier on here earlier this year to..its a nice little knife and nobody does D2 like Bob

lam396

Lil-Rokslider
Another recommendation for Bark River. I have 2 and love them both. If you look on ebay and arent to picky on handle materials, you can find good deals. Another thought though, pick up a tyto for $50 and spend the other $100 and upgrade your folder. I have a Benchmade mini griptillian, the Doug Ritter model and I love it although it's a little over $100 but there are tons of nice folders out there.

boom

WKR
I was trying to keep its simple lol ...i have well over 150 knives from probably 30 plus different custom knife makers. a bunch of years back I set a personal limit of 100...it hasn't worked out so well. I been thining the herd a bit but I need to keep working on it.

I sold that exzact dozier on here earlier this year to..its a nice little knife and nobody does D2 like Bob

i am humbled!! whoa.

(my wife would KILL me..hahah)

Trial, you done pissed me off. I thought I was done buying knives....now you got me believing it’s ok to keep looking and buying....Hehehehehehehehe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

boom

WKR
OP. i would be doing a disservice if i didnt mention a $16 Mora Companion HD in carbon steel.

that knife is goofy looking, the sheath is even more goffy..BUT the knife performs WAY above it's weight class. it is so damn sharp out of the box..NO correction, it doesnt come in a box..it is like saran-wrapped or something. but it is super super super sharp. and stays sharp so sharp. it's like LENNY in OF MICE AND MEN. not the brightest, but nice to have around for the super heavy lifting.

back to the sheath. you know when your so tired because to just made elk in smaller more manageable sized pieces? your knife is greasy and bloody..and now you have to clean it? nah..just stuff it into the plastic sheath.. you can clean it out later with a chopstick and piece of soapy paper towel. you risk rust, but in my experience you have some time, because of all the animal grease. plus it is $16..and you can wet sand it later.

OP. i would be doing a disservice if i didnt mention a $16 Mora Companion HD in carbon steel.

that knife is goofy looking, the sheath is even more goffy..BUT the knife performs WAY above it's weight class. it is so damn sharp out of the box..NO correction, it doesnt come in a box..it is like saran-wrapped or something. but it is super super super sharp. and stays sharp so sharp. it's like LENNY in OF MICE AND MEN. not the brightest, but nice to have around for the super heavy lifting.

back to the sheath. you know when your so tired because to just made elk in smaller more manageable sized pieces? your knife is greasy and bloody..and now you have to clean it? nah..just stuff it into the plastic sheath.. you can clean it out later with a chopstick and piece of soapy paper towel. you risk rust, but in my experience you have some time, because of all the animal grease. plus it is $16..and you can wet sand it later.

This man speaks truth... lol
IV6QQuO.jpg

No better knife value then a Mora - can even order from the guys at baryonyx at get a FFG mora! :)
mWnzKaw.jpg