2018 cooler showdown!

renagde

WKR
Next year throw Kong coolers in the mix. They have a few interesting features that other companies don't have. I don't own one but I've heard good things about them and I'm curious to see how theyd stack up.

Beararms

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the test OP, great info. I am always somehow drawn to cooler ice test!

I started camping/hunting on my friends property about three years ago. It is 2 hours away and has no running water or electricity. We stay the week of July 4th and about 3 other weeks throughout the hunting season and about 3-4 weekends through the year. What I have learned is this.

#1 Have a big cooler for food, and a smaller cooler for drinks. Pack them full. The food cooler only gets opened a few times a day and the drink cooler is OK if most of the drinks are floating by day 3 as long as they are still cold.

#2 Make block ice. I have 9x13 cake sheet pans for the big coolers, and I have small loaf pans 5x9 for the smaller coolers. Two weeks before the trip, I start making the blocks in my garage chest freezer.

#3 Keep them covered from direct sunlight.

I would love to see this test done with block ice filled 1/2, maybe with only 4 coolers since you would have to make the blocks.
This is the cooler I use, I always have wanted the high end coolers, but $30 is hard to beat for the camping that I do. When the technology comes out when they can make a Yeti that is as light as the Coleman, but performs 25% better then I will be first in line.

xziang

WKR
Why am I not seeing atlas coolers on this test? Oh yaa thats because the owner screwed us over. LoL on a serious note wish you would have included RTIC

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Another cooler test that excludes RTIC coolers. Whats everyone afraid of when it comes to them ?????

Everyone loves to talk shit without knowing the facts. Why the **** would we purposely leave out a cooler?? The more the better.... Think about it. Maybe you can send us your RTIC for the next test??

robie

WKR
Thank OP for putting this together.

I'm curious how this works with the companies. Do they mail you a "tester" and you just send it back to them within a month or two? I apologize if you covered this only thing I've seen are Ryan's comments similar to - " Why the **** would we purposely leave out a cooler??"

OP
Travis Bertrand

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thank OP for putting this together.

I'm curious how this works with the companies. Do they mail you a "tester" and you just send it back to them within a month or two? I apologize if you covered this only thing I've seen are Ryan's comments similar to - " Why the **** would we purposely leave out a cooler??"

I typically get ahold of companies and ask if they want to participate. If so, they send me a cooler and we work out sending it back after the test. Sorry, single family income restricts me from going to the store and purchasing all of these. I’ve found the companies that believe in their product are more than willing to put it head to head with another cooler. Other companies want to know what other coolers I am testing and will be in or out depending on what other companies are involved.

robie

WKR
I typically get ahold of companies and ask if they want to participate. If so, they send me a cooler and we work out sending it back after the test. Sorry, single family income restricts me from going to the store and purchasing all of these. I’ve found the companies that believe in their product are more than willing to put it head to head with another cooler. Other companies want to know what other coolers I am testing and will be in or out depending on what other companies are involved.
Makes sense. And no apologies necessary.

No way I would expect someone to spend $10k+ to get every cooler out there.

It was interesting to see and compare the way people do these test.

I like the quality but rarely find myself in a place my frozen milk jugs won't last 5 days in a decent igloo in the shade.

My favorite part about the nice coolers is how rugged they are. Not worried about a hinge snapping etc.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

Jskaanland

Administrator
Staff member
You did get a simple answer.
Probably means they didn't want to loan out a cooler for the test.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

If you wanted a simple answer, you should have also asked a simple question. Not placed implicit bias, or fear, in your question, "Whats everyone afraid of when it comes to them ?????"
Ryan's response seems appropriate, as he's poured a ton of time and money into rokslide only to have people indicate him in some internet wide conspiracy to keep RTIC coolers out of tests, because they're afraid of the results...

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not talking shit j,ust asking a simple question that really only requires a simple answer. Bought every cooler test i see does not have RTIC in it . If RTIC dont want to send you a cooler then just say so. No need to be a dick. You pay shipping and insurance i will send ya my RTIC next time
Maybe you should just collect six or eight of the top competitors to your RTIC and do a review to include video. Look forward to watching it

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Obi-wanshinobi

Lil-Rokslider
Another cooler test that excludes RTIC coolers. Whats everyone afraid of when it comes to them ?????

What is RTIC afraid of that they wouldn’t willingly send a cooler to be tested??
Props to the companies that aren’t afraid to see how their products stacks up.

I’ve found the companies that believe in their product are more than willing to put it head to head with another cooler. Other companies want to know what other coolers I am testing and will be in or out depending on what other companies are involved.

THIS does not surprise me in the least.