2020-2024 Colorado Big Game Season Structure Info

What’s Annoying is that they have 4 rifle seasons but they want to cut back on archery tags. If we are to need to cut back for the benefit of the wildlife let’s all cut back equally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From the conversations I’ve had with wildlife biologists/game wardens, every one of them I’ve talked to disliked archery season. According to them archery has a much higher wound rate that ends in death and just isn’t successful enough to be relied upon as a management tool. I had it explained to me that they basically view archery as a fun part of hunting, but that rifle hunting is how they actually manage herd objectives. That’s simply what I was told, and could help explain why they would be hesitant to cut back on rifle tags.

What’s Annoying is that they have 4 rifle seasons but they want to cut back on archery tags. If we are to need to cut back for the benefit of the wildlife let’s all cut back equally.

If you want it to be equal then would you want your season cut down to 5 days or 9 days? I would be careful what you ask for. Archers have it pretty good. That is one reason more and more people are archery hunting. You can hunt for a month with 1 tag versus 5 or 9 days with one tag.

I doubt the fish and game really wants to cut back on otc tags. It’s easy money for them. But archers are probably complaining that it’s getting more and more crowded so the g&f is going to do something about it. Could be totally wrong on that though. It’s just a guess.

Bulldawg

WKR
I mean if they cut all of rifle seasons down to that long then yeah, allow there to be one rifle season 9 days long and one archery season 9 days. That is equal, what I’m saying is I don’t want more as an archer, I want changes made to both if changes are to be made.

If you want it to be equal then would you want your season cut down to 5 days or 9 days? I would be careful what you ask for. Archers have it pretty good. That is one reason more and more people are archery hunting. You can hunt for a month with 1 tag versus 5 or 9 days with one tag.

I doubt the fish and game really wants to cut back on otc tags. It’s easy money for them. But archers are probably complaining that it’s getting more and more crowded so the g&f is going to do something about it. Could be totally wrong on that though. It’s just a guess.

Dwnorton1

FNG
I am so glad I am getting old, as the way we are headed every state will be draw only. Guess we will only get to hunt every 4-5 years.

Game dept needs to manage population objectives. Not by feelings of people that have others encroaching on "their" hunting areas. I'm sorry that there are more hunters where everyone hunts, I do not mind it because everyone else has same rights as I and sorry to local residents but it is Federal land, (at least where I hunt) which I pay taxes to support whether I live in your state or not. Figure I should have as many rights as sheep and cows that often hang out in basin I hunt. Land of a 1000 uses as the signs says.

I just hope this is not some underhanded trick by lobbyist for outfitters that want more control hence more $$$$$. Outfitter only tags. Hello NM talking to you.

That being said, my opinion and $.50 won't even buy a cup of coffee. But I did fill out form and send in so if you disagree I recommend you do the same and cancel me out by filling out yours. I just hope that game dept doesn't just immediately place them in file 13.

End of rant.....

Bulldawg

WKR
I agree you have just as much access to anyone else in the country to the federal land, but the animals are to be held for the residents of the state, so you aren’t entitled to that. Of course everywhere will be limited draw in the future, it’s a supply and demand and as the demand grows they will have to limit because the supply won’t be growing more than it is now.

I am so glad I am getting old, as the way we are headed every state will be draw only. Guess we will only get to hunt every 4-5 years.

Game dept needs to manage population objectives. Not by feelings of people that have others encroaching on "their" hunting areas. I'm sorry that there are more hunters where everyone hunts, I do not mind it because everyone else has same rights as I and sorry to local residents but it is Federal land, (at least where I hunt) which I pay taxes to support whether I live in your state or not. Figure I should have as many rights as sheep and cows that often hang out in basin I hunt. Land of a 1000 uses as the signs says.

I just hope this is not some underhanded trick by lobbyist for outfitters that want more control hence more $$$$$. Outfitter only tags. Hello NM talking to you.

That being said, my opinion and $.50 won't even buy a cup of coffee. But I did fill out form and send in so if you disagree I recommend you do the same and cancel me out by filling out yours. I just hope that game dept doesn't just immediately place them in file 13.

End of rant.....

Dwnorton1

FNG
"Entitled" is exactly where I figured this would end. You are correct I am not entitled to anything. This is where our country is going to hell. Everyone is entitled. I am saying do not pander to likely special interest groups that may or not have the locals best interest in mind.
As for Colo residents "owning" these animals, I am sure residents of NM would disagree as where I hunt the animals migrate to NM to lower elevations, so are you sure you that NM residents don't own them. Not trying to start a fight as we are all hunters with same mindset. By all means come to Oklahoma and kill a whitetailed deer or turkey, that is great, I do not own them. You can even hunt at my place.
Another thing to ponder, without the money from outside hunters, game dept would likely not have money to manage these opportunities for resident and non resident alike.
I just thought Colo had cool thing going, but game dept wants to mess with it. Would like to know real reason for proposed changes. My fear is changes are about feelings not data.
I'm saying voice your opinion or don't bitch when it turns unfavorable.

Public Land in Colorado isn't So Public After All

I just thought Colo had cool thing going, but game dept wants to mess with it. Would like to know real reason for proposed changes. My fear is changes are about feelings not data.
[/url]

I'm guessing it's the 180 degrees the opposite. Colorado DOW stands to lose a lot of money but taking away OTC opportunity. I doubt they "want" to mess with it but the supply is all of a sudden less than the demand. I'll bet they're in a position where they have to mess with it because the direction it's headed isn't sustainable.

Campo

FNG
My suggestions are below:
To Whom It May Concern,
This letter is addressing the 2020-2024 big game season structure revisions in Colorado. As an avid resident hunter in Colorado for the last eleven years, I have seen significant shifts in hunting pressure, calf recruitment, and the satisfaction level of hunters. I hunt primarily in GMU’s 80, 81, and 79. I hunt both rifle and archery for all big game species, though my primary focus is seeking out deer and elk during the archery seasons.
I would strongly encourage the commission to consider the following:
1. Moving all archery tags that are currently over-the-counter (OTC) to DRAW ONLY!
I feel this is necessary to better manage the elk populations in the state and to improve calf recruitment, which was and is a concern in our area as per the Colorado Parks and Wildlife (CPW) biologist assigned to the Monte Vista office. Further, this does not mean that these tags have to be hard to draw. Rather, it just gives the CPW the power and ability to curtail tags when necessary and to increase them when necessary, while also allowing CPW to make annual adjustments to accommodate hunting pressure changes, impacts on game from winter conditions, etc. in each GMU or DAU. Further, it addresses the increasing participation in archery season, allowing the CPW to provide a balanced approach of hunter satisfaction with ample (and less pressures) elk populations.
Additionally, I would also encourage the following:
2. Allowing unsuccessful archery hunters to turn in their tags for use in later seasons that are OTC in the same unit.
This would increase opportunity for archery elk hunters, allowing them to participate in later seasons, thus increasing opportunity even further and thus likely increasing hunter satisfaction through the ability to have a “longer season”. Additionally, if archery elk licenses were draw, the CPW could predict how many of those archery tags would possibly roll-over into rifle seasons that came after archery season was closed. This might improve hunter satisfaction and also increase local tax revenues as out-of-state hunters might return to Colorado in order to fill their tags in later seasons. Another alternative would be to only allow residents to have this option, thus increasing resident satisfaction.
3. Creating a “split” archery season structure, with muzzleloader season occupying a week in the middle of the two archery “splits”
This would address the muzzleloader and archery overlap, while also allowing muzzleloaders their own time in the woods. Further, it would allow the CPW to create two different archery seasons for the draw, similar to the system used in New Mexico. This split could allow for the better management of the new draw only system for elk archery tags. Also, item two, as listed above, would address the shortening of the archery seasons (two weeks per split) with increased opportunity through participation in the OTC rifle seasons that follow. Further, this would push archery back one week, allowing that “split tag” to take place during the peak of the rut. To manage impacts on breeding, and calf recruitment, these tags could be less in quantity when compared to the first archery split.
Thank you very much for your time and best regards for managing our state’s wildlife population so well!

Bulldawg

WKR
Please don’t send that letter haha those are terrible ideas.

My suggestions are below:
To Whom It May Concern,
This letter is addressing the 2020-2024 big game season structure revisions in Colorado. As an avid resident hunter in Colorado for the last eleven years, I have seen significant shifts in hunting pressure, calf recruitment, and the satisfaction level of hunters. I hunt primarily in GMU’s 80, 81, and 79. I hunt both rifle and archery for all big game species, though my primary focus is seeking out deer and elk during the archery seasons.
I would strongly encourage the commission to consider the following:
1. Moving all archery tags that are currently over-the-counter (OTC) to DRAW ONLY!
I feel this is necessary to better manage the elk populations in the state and to improve calf recruitment, which was and is a concern in our area as per the Colorado Parks and Wildlife (CPW) biologist assigned to the Monte Vista office. Further, this does not mean that these tags have to be hard to draw. Rather, it just gives the CPW the power and ability to curtail tags when necessary and to increase them when necessary, while also allowing CPW to make annual adjustments to accommodate hunting pressure changes, impacts on game from winter conditions, etc. in each GMU or DAU. Further, it addresses the increasing participation in archery season, allowing the CPW to provide a balanced approach of hunter satisfaction with ample (and less pressures) elk populations.
Additionally, I would also encourage the following:
2. Allowing unsuccessful archery hunters to turn in their tags for use in later seasons that are OTC in the same unit.
This would increase opportunity for archery elk hunters, allowing them to participate in later seasons, thus increasing opportunity even further and thus likely increasing hunter satisfaction through the ability to have a “longer season”. Additionally, if archery elk licenses were draw, the CPW could predict how many of those archery tags would possibly roll-over into rifle seasons that came after archery season was closed. This might improve hunter satisfaction and also increase local tax revenues as out-of-state hunters might return to Colorado in order to fill their tags in later seasons. Another alternative would be to only allow residents to have this option, thus increasing resident satisfaction.
3. Creating a “split” archery season structure, with muzzleloader season occupying a week in the middle of the two archery “splits”
This would address the muzzleloader and archery overlap, while also allowing muzzleloaders their own time in the woods. Further, it would allow the CPW to create two different archery seasons for the draw, similar to the system used in New Mexico. This split could allow for the better management of the new draw only system for elk archery tags. Also, item two, as listed above, would address the shortening of the archery seasons (two weeks per split) with increased opportunity through participation in the OTC rifle seasons that follow. Further, this would push archery back one week, allowing that “split tag” to take place during the peak of the rut. To manage impacts on breeding, and calf recruitment, these tags could be less in quantity when compared to the first archery split.
Thank you very much for your time and best regards for managing our state’s wildlife population so well!

Bulldawg

WKR
1. I don't think making every unit draw for archery is a good idea, it's part of the reason Colorado is special, you can go hunt every year.

2. If you are going to make every unit draw, you can't go and say that the tags roll over to rifle season, because the demand for those tags just go WAY higher, so you will in turn make it much more difficult for an individual to pull an archery tag.

3. Splitting the archery season? so having an average success rate of 12% over a 30 day window isn't low enough we want to limit guys to 14 day time frame? that's a bit ridiculous. It's great having 30 days to be able to hunt with that tag, a huge reason to get into archery hunting you get to hunt that much longer, and have 5 weekend days for guys that can only hunt weekends.

That is why I think those were terrible ideas, they were all ideas to hurt the archery hunter and not help the problem.

I think the very first thing they need to do is require mandatory reporting for all big game hunters. It truly isn't that difficult to require people to log onto the account that they already had to create to buy the license, fill out 5 multiple choice questions to get a better idea of the hunter success, participation, and for OTC units, where that individual was hunting.

Archery hunting is gaining in popularity, but it still is very very small compared to rifle hunters

Last edited:

MOHunter

Lil-Rokslider
As an archery hunter I’d be willing to give up the week of muzzleloader if they extended archery another week in Sep. if the problem is crowding and not harvest rates, that seems like an easy compromise with the least amount of change.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I think the very first thing they need to do is require mandatory reporting for all big game hunters.

I get a survey email every single year, have for the past decade +. I guess it's not mandatory, but the year I didn't respond......they called me later to do it over the phone. I figured they sent these to everyone these days.

Titan_Bow

WKR
It’s getting difficult to enjoy any sort of solitude anywhere in the lower 48 anymore. When I pulled into the trailhead opening morning this year there were 17 trucks parked there. The biggest problem I see however, is all of those guys are now packing 3-5 miles or deeper into the backcountry, whereas just a few years ago that didn’t happen. A lot of that is because of the recent fad of it all. Podcasts, YouTube, Instahunters, etc. are all to blame. It’s good that people are joining our ranks, but it sure sucks when you are looking to get away from the crowds.
Going limited in more archery units is probably going to happen, if not all units, just like deer. I never got the whole muzzleloader thing either. Modern compounds are getting to the point where they are almost as effective as a muzzleloader with iron sights anyways. Perhaps just calling the whole season a primitive season and allow archery or muzzys with the limitations they have on them. Then make the whole thing draw just like deer. Colorado is just too damn crowded and it is only getting worse. I was hunting white tails in the middle of rural BFE Nebraska last weekend and I saw more Colorado plates out there than NE plates LOL. The crowding will just continue

OP
cnelk

cnelk

WKR
If the CPW went to 'All Draw' for archery, I would guess they would set the GMUs tag allotment pretty high - basically making an OTC/GEN tag.

And remember, if this was to happen, it would definitely address Pref Points as you would lose your PPs upon applying for a tag.

Im betting the archery season dates are going to be changed to Sept 1-30, and there wont be a change to the ML season overlap

Campo

FNG
1. I don't think making every unit draw for archery is a good idea, it's part of the reason Colorado is special, you can go hunt every year.

2. If you are going to make every unit draw, you can't go and say that the tags roll over to rifle season, because the demand for those tags just go WAY higher, so you will in turn make it much more difficult for an individual to pull an archery tag.

3. Splitting the archery season? so having an average success rate of 12% over a 30 day window isn't low enough we want to limit guys to 14 day time frame? that's a bit ridiculous. It's great having 30 days to be able to hunt with that tag, a huge reason to get into archery hunting you get to hunt that much longer, and have 5 weekend days for guys that can only hunt weekends.

That is why I think those were terrible ideas, they were all ideas to hurt the archery hunter and not help the problem.

I think the very first thing they need to do is require mandatory reporting for all big game hunters. It truly isn't that difficult to require people to log onto the account that they already had to create to buy the license, fill out 5 multiple choice questions to get a better idea of the hunter success, participation, and for OTC units, where that individual was hunting.

Archery hunting is gaining in popularity, but it still is very very small compared to rifle hunters

Your ignorance is really showing in your first point. Just because a tag is draw doesn’t mean you won’t get one annually. It just gives CPW way more control over tag allocations. For some units the tags might be harder, for some they will remain the same. They can still issue as many tags as they want...they can also adjust the control as necessary.

I can see where you are coming from with your second point.

Regarding your third point, New Mexico has a split structure, and success rates are higher than Colorado, so I don’t see your argument as valid. Further, it would create more drawing options for archery, if it went to a draw.

Also, remember, this is about improving calf recruitment and hunter satisfaction...it’s not just about the hunter.

Campo

FNG
If the CPW went to 'All Draw' for archery, I would guess they would set the GMUs tag allotment pretty high - basically making an OTC/GEN tag.

And remember, if this was to happen, it would definitely address Pref Points as you would lose your PPs upon applying for a tag.

Im betting the archery season dates are going to be changed to Sept 1-30, and there wont be a change to the ML season overlap

False, you can put in for a PP for your first choice and then draw a tag with your second choice, thus not using your points.