Goals for the season?

ncstewart

WKR
I like setting goals for the season and just wondering what others guys and gals do?

I am trying to kill a whitetail from ground with no blind (archery). Reason just cause it’s something different

Kill first legal buck I see. Reason I got 2 tags and we in cwd area now. Also I am tired of inch counting personally

Kill my first branch antlered bull. Reason I’ve only killed a spike

Kill my first antelope. Reason First tag for them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

robloft

FNG
I’d like to see an elk within shooting range. This is my first elk hunt so I’d like to be able to see an elk I could shoot. I’d really love to shoot an elk but I know the likelihood of that is small.

Remps17

Lil-Rokslider
Goals for me is to call in some elk on opening weekend for a buddy who hasn't seen an elk or heard a bugle. a shot opportunity will be a bonus. My personal goals are to spend every opportunity I have in the bush, I have 7 tags in my pocket and I am hungry!

I just moved back to my home state of Colorado, where my brother lives. Additionally, my wife is wanting to get into hunting. The goal this year is to spend as much time hunting with each of them while also trying to take at least one mature animal. It's the first time I've ever had tags for antelope, deer, and elk in one year so getting one mature one would be stellar. They're all leftover or second choice tags so a mature one actually would be a pretty solid accomplishment IMO, especially considering I've never hunted any of these units before.

nrh6.7

WKR
I'm looking forward to being in the mountains again. Looking to kill my first elk and hoping to do it with a bow. Going back to WY in October to hopefully kill my first antelope and fill any elk tags that didn't get notched prior.

Maybe go to AZ in Dec or Jan to chase Mule Deer or Coues deer for the first time.

Really just thankful to be hunting again. Had too many things going on in life to focus on me.

Kill a speed goat spot and stalk with a compound. Reason, it is difficult.

Shoot a bull elk with my muzzle-loader. Reason, elk tastes good.

Go 2/3 on a first rifle cow hunt with two buddies. Reason, elk tastes good.

Fill my deer tag again this year. Reason, I always hunt deer 3rd season.

Scoony

Lil-Rokslider
Last year I got my first buck with archery, so this year it will be either sex deer with a bow.

This year is to shoot a elk. I have been out to Idaho twice with no luck. Last year, we crossed paths with two men on horse back going up where we just walked down from. I told myself that someday I would be on horseback going up into the mountains. If all goes as plan, I shall meet that goal since we are using an outfitter in Colorado to a drop camp. Hopefully we can knock out two goals on one trip.

Another goal this year is to shoot a deer (whitetail) with my AR in 6.8 SPC.

As a bonus goal, shoot a Eastern Shore MD Sika deer.

On the bucket list for next year is Antelope. Already trying to talk my brother into a trip for that, but he wants a bear.

Kill and elk, any elk...reason, I like eating elk and killing things, and I haven't killed one with my bow yet.
Kill a muley with my bow...reason, I haven't killed a muley yet and I like eating venison.
Kill a couple of Hill Country whitetails with my bow and/or muzzleloader this year...reason, I like to eat venison.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Our season is already underway with an early Kodiak deer hunt and interior caribou/ bear hunt already complete. With a toddler under age 2, my primary goal has been to continue hunting as a family, even when it's way more challenging. We hunted a lot last season when our daughter was a baby, but I can honestly say it's harder this season since she's mobile and has developed stronger opinions about things. Even when it seems tough, it's also proving to be very rewarding. I would always rather go than stay home, and if I can notch a couple of tags in the process even better.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
v1zZwDM.jpg

Dukejb

FNG
My biggest goal is to get an elk. This is my first season elk hunting, and first season hunting anything with a bow. So given the likelihood, or lack thereof, of completing that goal, my secondary one would be to at least learn something new every time I’m in the woods with them.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
My goal is usually the same every year. Go one on one with a big bull and win the chess match. He doesn't have to be huge, just so I got the full rut experience with him. As long as I get a bunch of those bugling-match fests and some shot opportunities, I enjoy the season very much. The meat and trophy are just added bonuses.

But over the last few weeks I've made elk meatballs, elk meatloaf, and elk chili and they were all fantastic. So I need to pad the freezers to get us through until the 2019 season.

Last edited:

D_Eightch

WKR
Help get my buddy on his Once in a Lifetime elk in ND and fill that tag early! - Reason:OIL TAG

Wrap my archery tag around a Mulie Buck - Reason: 1st Bow Buck in ND, First Mulie

Fill both antlerless permits for the Urban Herd Reduction - Reason: Does are great to fill the freezer

Shoot a big old whitetail in ND with my Rifle - Reason: Love big rutted up whitetail and i have a spot on the wall to fill!

8pt or Better during MN Gun season - Reason: Everybody around there shoots whatever comes out, i like to hold of for a 2-1/2 year old at least, given the circumstances.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Get my 12 year old on a legal Mule Deer in Eastern WA...

Last edited:

Ucsdryder

WKR
Kill an elk and fill the freezer. The season will be filled with way too early mornings, grueling hikes, a beat up body, and a bunch of frustration. There will be a few moments of fun, excitement and anticipation. Elk hunting isn’t fun, it’s hard work and usually sucks. I look forward to it 11 months out of the year.

Kill a whitetail on public land. Reason: been trying off and on for 14 years. Many reasons it hasn’t happened yet. This will be the year.

Canoe float hunt for bear and deer. Always wanted to do this since I was little. No more excuses on this one this year.

Go to Ohio for Whitetail. Have never been to the Midwest for whitetail.

Get my daughter her first whitetail buck. I told her when she turned 10 in April she could kill a buck this year. (That’s my personal rule for my kids. 10yrs old before they can kill a buck)

Have fun, enjoy my trips, hunt with friends and family as much as possible and hopefully...….put eyes on a nice Muley I can try to bring home with me!!!