Social media paranoia

So if social media is cataloging all of our information and selling it, could onX maps be recording all our saved GPS waypoints and tracks to sell to the highest bidder or sell as a database for sites like gohunt?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've wondered the same thing. Not necessarily selling it but I bet those onx employees have their pick of honey holes.

man, i never thought about that.
guess you can't trust anything to do with data anymore.
good point and thanks for bringing it up!

johnhenry

Lil-Rokslider
So if social media is cataloging all of our information and selling it, could onX maps be recording all our saved GPS waypoints and tracks to sell to the highest bidder or sell as a database for sites like gohunt?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Duh!

I doubt OnX would do that as they would lose a lot of revenue if word got out. OnX is in the business of selling subscriptions. Social Media is in the business of selling your data.

mproberts

WKR
I recommend you read the OnX privacy policy page, your answers are there. Also depending on the state you reside in they might be legally obligated to inform you about how they are utilizing or disclosing your information if you request such information.

neverquit

WKR
That’s fine

A normal sane human would never go the places I go more than once😎

mtmiller

WKR
I doubt it, OnX doesn't have access to my GPS.

Well, there you go. We all make choices and have to live with whatever we choose, and possible consequences from those choices.

From your post, I appears you feel there could be consequences from a cloud based system and you have made a decision not to use it based on trust? At least that was the question asked.

I am not too worried about it, but doubt I would mark points as 380" bull or "big buck basin" and have it housed on a third party server.

Marmots

Lil-Rokslider
I would be a little paranoid if OnX was free. Because if a service is free, the product is you.

The fact I pay OnX $30 every year makes me feel better about it.

To save battery or by nature of out of service I usually use OnX in airplane mode, with my phone working only as a passive gps receiver. I don't remember the saved data ever syncing and unless I purposely export it, the information will die with the device.

And I would feel bad for the poor schmuck hired to monetize my data. They'd have a big list of badger traps. If I start getting browser ads saying hot lonely singles in my area want to trap badgers with me, then I'll know who to blame.

I would be a little paranoid if OnX was free. Because if a service is free, the product is you.

The fact I pay OnX $30 every year makes me feel better about it.

To save battery or by nature of out of service I usually use OnX in airplane mode, with my phone working only as a passive gps receiver. I don't remember the saved data ever syncing and unless I purposely export it, the information will die with the device.

And I would feel bad for the poor schmuck hired to monetize my data. They'd have a big list of badger traps. If I start getting browser ads saying hot lonely singles in my area want to trap badgers with me, then I'll know who to blame.
The data syncs. I know this because I was going to export from my phone and when I logged into onx on the computer and my tracks were there.

I'm not too worried about it I hunt crappy spots.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Flatgo

Lil-Rokslider
We had this very discussion hunting this year. Our conclusion is most public land would be full of tracks and way points and would basically say everywhere gets hunted, but I have heard a rumor onX does have access to waypoints and tracks saved...

tdhanses

WKR
We had this very discussion hunting this year. Our conclusion is most public land would be full of tracks and way points and would basically say everywhere gets hunted, but I have heard a rumor onX does have access to waypoints and tracks saved...

Of course they can and they will find a way to profit off it, it may not be user or way point specific but it would be easy for them to sell this data as a collective to show areas of pressure vs less pressure. I mean wouldn’t you like to know the avg pressure of areas being scouted? Using tracks and way points would provide this data and it wouldn’t have to be customer specific which would allow them to get away from notifying users, possibly.

I doubt there is a specific market for way points in otc units but a collective of way points in limited draw units could be another possibility.

So today they may not be doing it, 5 or 10 years from now when we all only use apps on our phones and they have good historical data I would be shocked if they didn’t find a way to make money off it.

Also it wouldn’t surprise me if their servers get hacked to get their “celebrity” clients way points. If guys can hack into F&G to game the draws why wouldn’t they try to steal known individuals info from a service they know is used based on sponsorship.

Last edited: