Black Diamond Brand Ambassador Caught Stealing Tree Stands and Trail Camera

Murdy

WKR
All I saw in the article was a third party speculating that the theft was for anti-hunting purposes. The fact that the stands and cameras were recovered when the policed executed a search warrant suggests thy intended to keep them (why not just vandalize them otherwise?)

Either way, we should wait and see what Black Diamond does before coming to any conclusions. As for the attorney, I'm sure she's in trouble with the bar association. I'm also sure that there are protocols for dismissing a public employee that have to be followed, so don't be surprised if the city doesn't appear to be acting immediately.

Last edited:

MtGomer

WKR
Hopefully she loses her job and license to practice law and he is dropped by BD.
BD can be reached here: [email protected]

Hopefully hunters like Poltax start to value public lands. It’s the only thing Utah has going for it. Believe it or not people don’t travel from all over to experience the boring, homogenous ‘culture’ unique to Utah.

CorbLand

WKR
This. Let it play out in court. I'm sure a plea deal will be reached to drop it to a misdemeanor/probation deal. I'm less worried about black diamond, more worried about the ethics of an attorney doing this.

I know ethics and lawyers/attorney is usually a mutually exclusive deal but shouldn't be

I once had the DA for a county here in Utah tell me that he didn't care where he shot a big elk because all they were packing out was the head anyways.

MTtrout

WKR
I've been using BD skis and gear for decades. I too have read many of McCleans skiing articles over the years . This is actually no surprise to me. Park City is an island of LIBTARDS and I've never heard of BD or any BD employees speak of hunting at all leading me to believe they simply arent a group that cares much for it . Ive suspected this for awhile but chose to just never look into it. My BD storm headlamp just failed me on its first trip out . I used my trusty Petzl and threw the Storm in the nearest shitcan. Just saying.

I used to climb with some of the BD guys in SLC. We shared the same ideas of protecting public lands and some of them either hunted/ fished on the side or seemed eager in learning how. Even to the point that one of them wanted to help me field process and pack out an elk just to experience it. I would regularly cook upland and big game at parties and they greatly appreciated it and respected what it meant.

Clearly, BDs primary mission isn't to serve hunters. Personally, the only thing I really care about with the company is that they fight for our rights as public land owners and so far from what I've seen they seem to have our interest in that category. Now should the accused be prosecuted to the fullest, absolutely! Pending on the outcome and BDs statement (if one's made), I may weight my future purchased with them differently.

And BD headlamps and lanterns have not impressed me either

Let it play out in court. I grew up in that neck of the woods, did a lot of climbing in the canyons, and know a lot of good guys that climb. It's not really a BD issue at this point in time, and it wouldn't be right to try and make it a BD issue, absent some other facts.

Let it play out in court. I grew up in that neck of the woods, did a lot of climbing in the canyons, and know a lot of good guys that climb. It's not really a BD issue at this point in time, and it wouldn't be right to try and make it a BD issue, absent some other facts.

It isn't, unless they continue to endorse him.

Not that I would burn my BD gear like people burned kaepernick jerseys, but it would be enough to prevent a purchase i was on the bubble of. Just like I would be less likely to buy an elite bow if they still supported Chris Brackett.

Not sure they can make a case on theft. Property left on public lands unattended for a period of time becomes abandoned property. On National Wildlife Refuges it is considered abandoned after 72 hours. Utah may have state laws that play into that, I don’t know.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not sure they can make a case on theft. Property left on public lands unattended for a period of time becomes abandoned property. On National Wildlife Refuges it is considered abandoned after 72 hours. Utah may have state laws that play into that, I don’t know.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

it says in the article they're allowed to put stands up 2 weeks before season opener.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Saw this on another site. Wish I would have thought to email BD directly.
8cd9bc358c036c28436479f3eec477c6.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Mark

WKR
I got that same email. I understand due process, and I worded my email carefully. However, the photos are pretty damning evidence, felony conviction or not. Rather than dig in their heals and stand behind the thief, they took the high road in my opinion.

lif

WKR
This thread reminds me of the yeti dropping nra thread. Still not sure how this involves black diamond as a company. I don’t know much about the companies political or environmental views but it seems they made a statement by dropping his endorsement. The two involved are clearly dirty bungs but seem to be independent from the company black diamond. I bet a lot of us have these sort of folks in our workplace and just don’t know it. Retract the claws boys and take out your haste on the two dipshits that did the crime. Black diamond will let us know when we should hate them.

dtrkyman

WKR
Contact black diamond and ask them their views on hunting, likely get some vague b.s answer but who knows?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bisblue

WKR
I used to be a climbing guide and grew up hunting, my dad was a game warden. I think BD makes good gear, and some at a reasonable price, most BD employees and athletes that I know don't dislike hunting, but don't think about it anymore than they think about the folks who want to do endurance horse races on public lands. There are so many user groups out there, it's hard to expect them to strongly support something that isn't their focus.

I know lots of climbers who are taking up western hunting, and while there is a sharp learning curve, their fitness, backcountry experience, and time spent suffering and failing usually make them great learners and hunters. Especially when you can convince them to slow down, take off their boots for a stalk, and not talk so loud....

Dropping a skiing athlete seems like a pretty clear message, and I like their support of public lands. Sitting at a table ranting about how we (hunters) want public lands run our way only will quickly leave us as the only people at our table. I think when other public land users realize what backcountry hunting is like compared with truck hunting beer drinking stereotypes they are almost always respectful. Especially when you bring something for the grill!

I think there are tons of good questions that need deep consideration about what user group has priority, but I think Brad Brooks explanation of cooperation between groups in his Meateater podcast interview was very matter of fact and true, he used to work or does work for the Wilderness Society. The bigger the table and more people we have, the more effective we will be. I'm transitioning from being a climber as my main life focus to being a hunter for a renewed sense of adventure and challenge, and I want to teach my son about the world in multiple ways. But climbing is an amazing way to stay fit, challenge myself, and continue developing mental fitness and focus.

Last edited: