Black Diamond Brand Ambassador Caught Stealing Tree Stands and Trail Camera

3forks

WKR
I saw this article regarding 2 people facing felony charges for stealing a hunter's tree stands and game camera.

One of the people who stole the stands and camera is a Black Diamond Equipment brand ambassador, and the other is the Park City, UT Assistant City Attorney.

Park City employee faces felony charges for allegedly stealing hunter’s equipment | fox13now.com

I buy and use a lot of Black Diamond gear and I know a lot of other hunters do as well.

The actions of one of their Ambassadors wouldn't make me believe the whole brand is anti-hunting, but what do you think Black Diamond should do about this?

Obviously, the guy who stole the stands and camera should have his day in court - but should we as hunters make an issue of this with Black Diamond?

https://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en_US/athlete-bio-andrew-mclean.html

Same with the City of Park City... could you hold a municipality to the same standard as a brand? I don't know if as hunter, telling the City that unless they take action against their employee, myself and others like me won't visit their city would make any difference to them.

What do you guys think?

Poltax

Lil-Rokslider
I personally do not believe that Black Diamond is in our court. Black Diamond along eith Patagonia were just 2 of the instigators in getting the Outdoor Retailer Show moved from SLC to Denver. For several years they had tried to get the OR Show to be moved as they did not like the political stance that UT was taking on Public Lands. They finally got their wish and got the Show moved last year. What I find interesting is that Black Diamond still has their Corporate offices ect in SLC. Seems to me that they should continue to put their money where their mouth is and move thier entire operations out of UT.

I will not purchase any item by Black Diamond nor any of the other Outdoor Companies that screamed the loudest in getting the OR Show moved.

I personally do not believe that Black Diamond is in our court. Black Diamond along eith Patagonia were just 2 of the instigators in getting the Outdoor Retailer Show moved from SLC to Denver. For several years they had tried to get the OR Show to be moved as they did not like the political stance that UT was taking on Public Lands. They finally got their wish and got the Show moved last year. What I find interesting is that Black Diamond still has their Corporate offices ect in SLC. Seems to me that they should continue to put their money where their mouth is and move thier entire operations out of UT.

I will not purchase any item by Black Diamond nor any of the other Outdoor Companies that screamed the loudest in getting the OR Show moved.

So they took a stance FOR public land and got the show moved, but you dont think their on our side?

MattB

WKR
So they took a stance FOR public land and got the show moved, but you dont think their on our side?

It's not quite that simple. If you are not familiar with the situation around the Bears Ear Nat'l Monument you might research it and come to your own conclusion as to whose side they are on.

It's not quite that simple. If you are not familiar with the situation around the Bears Ear Nat'l Monument you might research it and come to your own conclusion as to whose side they are on.
I'm guessing we should just agree to disagree on that topic and not let this thread drift too far...

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Schism

WKR
It shouldn’t matter who they work for, they should be terminated if convicted of felony theft. The fact that one is a public employee and an attorney, while the other is an ambassador to an outdoor equipment company makes their alleged crimes more egregious and termination imminent if I were their employer.

Poser

WKR
They were charged with felonies. I’d let the whole thing run its course. I’d expect BD sells a lot of headlamps and trekking poles to hunters.

DaveC

WKR
The actions of one of their Ambassadors wouldn't make me believe the whole brand is anti-hunting, but what do you think Black Diamond should do about this?

Obviously, the guy who stole the stands and camera should have his day in court - but should we as hunters make an issue of this with Black Diamond?

https://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en_US/athlete-bio-andrew-mclean.html

Same with the City of Park City... could you hold a municipality to the same standard as a brand? I don't know if as hunter, telling the City that unless they take action against their employee, myself and others like me won't visit their city would make any difference to them.

What do you guys think?

BD dropped one of their athletes earlier this year for (essentially) being a dick on Instagram: Black Diamond Drops Pro Climber for Cyberbullying McLean was a full-time BD employee and designer way back in the day, and has been an influential writer in the skiing and climbing realms for a long time. It will be interesting to see how this case plays out, compared to that of Mr. Kinder.

On a personal note this is a sad thing to see. McLean was an inspiration to me was I was a teen, and he and his wife have school age kids. What the hell where they thinking?

Broomd

WKR
Wow, just wow.

All I'll say is M A G A.....

Shrek

WKR
If Black Diamond hasn’t already fired him they’re definitely anti hunting and anti rule of law. I’m hoping the couple get a couple of years in prison. They’re scum of the earth imo. It’s a shame they don’t get their right hands cut off.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
If Black Diamond hasn’t already fired him they’re definitely anti hunting and anti rule of law. I’m hoping the couple get a couple of years in prison. They’re scum of the earth imo. It’s a shame they don’t get their right hands cut off.
Here in America everyone still gets their day in court, no matter the evidence against them. I hope justice is served when it's all said and done. No excuse for thieves .
They had a small piece about it on the evening news here and police asked for anyone that's had similar items stolen from that general area to contact them. Sounds like there still might be a bit more going on with this story.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Fatcamp

WKR
BD dropped one of their athletes earlier this year for (essentially) being a dick on Instagram: Black Diamond Drops Pro Climber for Cyberbullying McLean was a full-time BD employee and designer way back in the day, and has been an influential writer in the skiing and climbing realms for a long time. It will be interesting to see how this case plays out, compared to that of Mr. Kinder.

On a personal note this is a sad thing to see. McLean was an inspiration to me was I was a teen, and he and his wife have school age kids. What the hell where they thinking?

They we're thinking that being anti-hunter in Park City is acceptable.

Netherman

WKR
It doesn't really say what their motivations were in taking the stands. More likely than not it was due to anti hunting sentiment but maybe they just needed a few more stands...

If they make a statement that they were stealing stands to prevent others legitimate use of the outdoors and BD applauds them for it I'll be done with them. At this point I'm not ready to boycott a company based on the actions of one asshat employee.

I've been using BD skis and gear for decades. I too have read many of McCleans skiing articles over the years . This is actually no surprise to me. Park City is an island of LIBTARDS and I've never heard of BD or any BD employees speak of hunting at all leading me to believe they simply arent a group that cares much for it . Ive suspected this for awhile but chose to just never look into it. My BD storm headlamp just failed me on its first trip out . I used my trusty Petzl and threw the Storm in the nearest shitcan. Just saying.

Gutshotem

WKR
The only way BD takes any action against them is if they feel pressure to do so. That's one thing that the libs are good at whenever they feel "outraged" about something.

As far as the felony charges, I'd be very surprised if they get anything more than a no contest plea to a charge of theft.

Fatcamp

WKR
It doesn't really say what their motivations were in taking the stands. More likely than not it was due to anti hunting sentiment but maybe they just needed a few more stands...

If they make a statement that they were stealing stands to prevent others legitimate use of the outdoors and BD applauds them for it I'll be done with them. At this point I'm not ready to boycott a company based on the actions of one asshat employee.

Live in the now. Really. Those two were not staying stands to use or give to the needy. They we're stealing and destroying others equipment because they are antis who live in a place where it feels normal to them.

JWP58

WKR
Here in America everyone still gets their day in court, no matter the evidence against them. I hope justice is served when it's all said and done. No excuse for thieves .
They had a small piece about it on the evening news here and police asked for anyone that's had similar items stolen from that general area to contact them. Sounds like there still might be a bit more going on with this story.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

This. Let it play out in court. I'm sure a plea deal will be reached to drop it to a misdemeanor/probation deal. I'm less worried about black diamond, more worried about the ethics of an attorney doing this.

I know ethics and lawyers/attorney is usually a mutually exclusive deal but shouldn't be