Swaro Stolen from Tent

chasewild

WKR
July was an awesome month. Spent nearly every weekend scouting high country mulies and found my areas to focus on in August.

Opener rolled around and I spent the first two days with my wife trying to get her her first elk with a stickbow. She walked out sunday and I stayed in to focus on velvet bucks.

Got on top of my target basin on Sunday and found a good buck one basin further out. It would require relocating my camp the next morning.

Got up at 4:30 and made the big push. Made it to a new glassing spot by about 8:45.

Started planning my approach on the target buck, and then turned around to see three other hunters above my camp. One started approaching me.

I knew the stick, you know "we've been on these bucks...my buddy is going in for a stalk....etc." So I said, "Awesome, let's watch your buddy kill this buck!" I showed him pictures of the buck from July. They were out of staters filming a "project" and hadn't scouted but got some good "beta." Of course.

Me and this instagram hero watched his buddy come straight from upwind on this buck and he didn't break 400 yards. Game over.

Another buck was in the basin and I figured I'd give it a shot. Parted ways with the instaguy with a "good luck my friend." I ended up killing that buck at 5:00 that night.

I packed the buck back to the tent and arrived at 2:00 am.

Woke up the next morning at 9:30 and made the 5 mile hoof out with just the meat and the head. Temps were 80's and high country august buck meat is lobster as far as I'm concerned.

Left my swaro spotter inside my tent with all of my gear. Tent was about 500 yards from any trail tucked in a little coulee. Only people I saw were the instaguys.

Had to work on wednesday and came back in on Thursday. Made it to my tent at 11:00 pm. Swaro 65mm gone and my WM sleeping bag also gone...it was a long cold night at 12,000 feet.

So, there it is. Filed a report with the Sheriff, homeowners insurance claim would be the same as replacement cost, but most importantly, I learned a brutal lesson: backcountry hunters apparently will steal from other backcountry hunters.

Those remote basins aren't just the places we hunt, they are the places we go for refuge. They are the places we go to get us through the rest of the year when we're behind a f&cking keyboard. But, that warm and fuzzy shit is naive I guess.

So if you hear of some dudes yammering about stealing some shit from another hunter, well, I know what I'd do.

DISCLAIMER: Everyone is innocent until proven guilty. I'm not saying instaheros did it, but it damn sure smells funny.

Mark

WKR
That's brutal. Sorry that happened. Makes me rethink the sanctuary of the back country.

I thought there were unwritten rules about this. I thought respect was a given.

That sucks. I would never leave my optics in a tent. Can you report the serial number stolen with Swarovski?

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Stealing a man's sleep system could turn into a very dangerous situation very quickly in the high country glad you didn't have to endure that. Sucks you can't trust anyone anymore. Hope you find some closure and don't let this dampen your enjoyment of the high country

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

matthewmt

WKR
What's instaguys handle? Or page, "project"?
That's a bummer man, but congrats on getting your muley.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Man, hearing about shit like this just really burns my ass. Whenever I get flown into an area for a mountain hunt I always bring a base camp and a spike camp. My typical MO is to pitch base camp, maybe spend a night, then head into the mountains, sometimes for upwards of 10-14 days depending on how the hunt goes. So I'm basically leaving a fully equipped base camp, with some pretty high end gear, for usually no less than a week and a lot of times much longer. I've never had any problems but the thought has crossed my mind. I'm really sorry to hear that you got robbed, as I too like to think that other hunters sharing the wilds with me are a little more ethical than most, but I'm probably just naïve as well. Not that it makes any difference but would you mind telling us where you were hunting (state)?

Last edited:
Really crappy to have your stuff stolen, whether it's out of a camp or your house. It's the worst feeling of violation that I've ever experienced.
There's times we have to leave stuff at a camp in the backcountry or in a truck at the trailhead. l don't know how to get around it. Most folks are honest and helpful, but all it takes is one bad apple to ruin your experience - and in the case of your bag, create a potentially deadly situation.
I hope you're able to get it back.

Man that’s the lowest of the low! Sorry to hear about that, I hope you had your serial number and end up getting your stuff back or at least finding out the people who stole your stuff are caught.

Man that sucks. Maybe they’ll twist the crap out of their ankle on the next hike in. If I ever get a swaro I’d be scared to death to leave it in my tent. Maybe hiding it somewhere is the best way to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's terrible!!! I sure hope you can get some answers, soon. It makes me sick to think that, that kind of vermin is cruising around the backcountry! Completely intolerable! The scope, albeit expensive (I own one too) can be bought again. Unfortunately, your faith of the fellow hunter, backcountry or not won't be bought back so easily. I do hope these these "Instagram Heros" are named in order to hopefully clear things up??

Congrats on your mule deer though, sounds like you sure earned him!

blutooth

Lil-Rokslider
Now that’s a rotten story. The swaro hurts the pocket book, but the sleeping bag, man that could have been so much worse. You have to be some kind of low to take someone food shelter or water 5 miles back. High end gear like that shows up quicker than you think on sales sites. What WM bag was it?

OR Archer

WKR
I’d be beyond pissed! Especially if I found out it was a bunch of Instagram Bow bunnies. Freaking unbelievable what some people will do to others.

I sure hope you not only get your gear back, but manage to get them charged with a felony and end their firearm hunting days.