Spending the big bucks on optics?

Jimbob

WKR
Where you hunt also factors into a decision. In some places a good spotter is worth its weight in gold.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I was able to count rings on my stone sheep and determine he was legal this summer. My scope was worth its weight in gold at that moment. I was also very happy to have a lot of high quality lightweight gear that allowed me to do that solo walk in hunt.

When I have the money and I can prioritize an alpha scope I will seriously consider it. Until then I will continue to use a cheaper scope and buy the needed gear for my son (11 yrs old) and I to get in the mountains.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ramont

Lil-Rokslider
Expensive? High quality? Alpha? I've never even heard of Alpha before this and I've hunted and done long range shooting for several decades, additionally I work at a gun and optics store.

isu22andy

WKR
Ill be the minority here, for us that dont live out west and hunt out west a 3000 dollar spotter is crazy for me to just sit on a shelf to use once a year . If I made 120,000 thousand a year sure maybe but I dont. Ive got a nice Vortex Razor spotter that does just fine for what I use it for and the Diamond Back binos are awesome . Ive got a 600 Dollar Vortex Razor HD scope and a 160 Vortex Crossfire on 2 separate rifles and Id be HARD pressed to see the difference in glass clarity between the 2. I dont understand why everyone needs a 1500 dollar rifle scope to shoot 300 yards ? I think youd be better off spending 700 dollar on ammo to practice and buy a 500 dollar scope . My 2 cents on the subject, From someone who shoots a 1300 dollar rifle that shoots like a 500 dollar one lol.

3forks

WKR
I'd add this ancillary point about optics in general - regardless of what price point anyone decides is right them...

Be sure you're fit enough/willing to carry whatever you decide to buy. Leaving your spotter at home because it's one of the heaviest items in your pack; or deciding that it's too much of hassle to pack around and set up is a decision I've seen a lot of guys make. Having several thousands tied up in scope and not using it because your fitness sucks is going to sting.

WJS23

WKR
I’m from the northeast and used to think guys are crazy for spend big bucks on glass. Then I got my hands on some good glass and have never looked back.

jspradley

WKR
I’m from the northeast and used to think guys are crazy for spend big bucks on glass. Then I got my hands on some good glass and have never looked back.

If you don't want to drop the cash on good glass then NEVER look through Swaro anything... lol

Chesapeake

Lil-Rokslider
Top 3 glass holds its value and is great to look through. Its also much more expensive if you buy several pieces of mid level glass first.

I just in the last few years came to my senses and started buying only top 3 glass. No idea why I was such a slow learner.

WJS23

WKR
It’s also great because it can gain you that extra 5min of being able to identify what the animal is

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
Obviously there are pros and cons. Good (pricey) glass does resell pretty well but is it worth it to a guy that will never sheep hunt or mtn goat hunt? I used a Leupold spotter that I bought used for $100.00 on my summer trip out west. I bought it as a range spotter initially but took it on my trip just to see how it would do. Saw some elk and a bull moose at distances form 800 yards to approx 1.25 miles away and saw everything I needed to see. Certainly it is not near the quality of Swaro, Kowas and the alike but I would have gained nothing for this particular trip with higher cost and higher quality optics.

A couple of things that I believe are often overlooked: Is the optic going to be the same for you as a guy with better or worse eyesight? Do you really need to be able to read a note card from 1000 yards? (as some of the optic test use these types of things as part of the evaluation).

I believe quite a few of us overspend on optics and then try to justify the $ spent. I realize optics are different that firearms but I think of one of the most accurate guns I've owned-it is a Savage that I bought used for $200.00 and I likely can shoot it as accurately as any gun I now own or have ever owned and the Savage is likely the least expensive of them all. Similarly I see guys buying hunting/skinning knives for hundreds of $. Is it worth it? It must be to those that buy them but I opt for good quality and not top of the line price wise.

I would try to find a good pre-owned high quality spotter and have some funds left over for other items that you'll need. When I get ready for an upgrade I will buy pre-owned and not look back.

I got the BTX/ATX with the 95 mm objective this year. I’ve had good glass for a long time but after the hunt I just got done with I’m amazed at how well the BTX worked for me. I spotted 80%+ of the deer I saw with it. I’ve always been of the opinion if you can’t find an animal it’s extremely tough to kill it. So I will take a dollar and weight penalty and pack great/heavy optics. And if I have to I will cut weight and dollars from somewhere else. But I won’t sacrifice my optics because of weight or price.

Buy the best glass on the market and enjoy the hunt

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
Obviously there are pros and cons. Good (pricey) glass does resell pretty well but is it worth it to a guy that will never sheep hunt or mtn goat hunt? I used a Leupold spotter that I bought used for $100.00 on my summer trip out west. I bought it as a range spotter initially but took it on my trip just to see how it would do. Saw some elk and a bull moose at distances form 800 yards to approx 1.25 miles away and saw everything I needed to see. Certainly it is not near the quality of Swaro, Kowas and the alike but I would have gained nothing for this particular trip with higher cost and higher quality optics.

A couple of things that I believe are often overlooked: Is the optic going to be the same for you as a guy with better or worse eyesight? Do you really need to be able to read a note card from 1000 yards? (as some of the optic test use these types of things as part of the evaluation).

I believe quite a few of us overspend on optics and then try to justify the $ spent. I realize optics are different that firearms but I think of one of the most accurate guns I've owned-it is a Savage that I bought used for $200.00 and I likely can shoot it as accurately as any gun I now own or have ever owned and the Savage is likely the least expensive of them all. Similarly I see guys buying hunting/skinning knives for hundreds of $. Is it worth it? It must be to those that buy them but I opt for good quality and not top of the line price wise.

I would try to find a good pre-owned high quality spotter and have some funds left over for other items that you'll need. When I get ready for an upgrade I will buy pre-owned and not look back.

I’m going to have to disagree with you.

Your Leupold spotter May have done the trick for you on this trip, but like mentioned above, a top quality glass is the difference from picking out that g2 from the branches he’s behind and simply seeing brush.

Every spotter I have ever played with has a focus adjustment to adjust to people’s eyes. That’s what makes them clear. Just because someone has worse vision doesn’t mean they can’t focus on an object, it simply means that their focus adjustment is different than yours. Another advantage of top tier glass is the depth of field. More ranges are in focus in your FOV thus glassing country more effectively.

Yes I need to be able to read a note card at 1,000 yards (your analogy) so I can pick out that earflicker or antler tip at that distance as well.

There’s no such thing as overspending on optics, you are investing money into coming home with what you set out for and eliminating another variable to an unsuccessful hunt. I’ll gladly spend the money on quality glass and take the weight penalty to have the best chances at finding a big buck any day.

I’ve spent many evenings glassing with people who say the same thing as you about optics and truth is, in good light, a good pair of binos and spotter do ok against top end glass but when the sun fades over the hill, I’m finding deer pop up while their optics are already in their backpack because they can’t see...

It sounds like you scored on a good shootin rifle and I’d hang on to that one if I were you.

Nothin wrong with preowned glass at all. I would get the serial number and check with the manufacturer though to make sure it is not a knockoff and not stolen.

Last edited:

n8saki

FNG
Coming from the firearms side of things, glass is buy once cry once. Fortunately there is good glass is good warranties now i.e. Vortex that is on most of my precision rifles and spotting scopes. Other brands like Leica for my spotting scope are good as well. Almost every glass I own cost more than the rifle lol. At least I don't have to buy glass again as I've just started on my bow hunt adventures.

freebird

WKR
I have an older Kowa spotting scope and its pretty nice. But for the hunting style I do I think a 15X pair of binoculars would be better. I hear that new swaro BTX dual eye piece is really sweet. Good luck on your quest for the glass.

Thunder head

Lil-Rokslider
I started at the bottom and worked my way up on glass.

I have come to the opinion that it mostly depends on what and how you hunt. This will determine how much the extra dollars will benefit you. Judging sheep and looking at mulies a long way away. Your going to get your monies worth out of buying the best.

As a side note. I just got back from a 10 day Elk hunt. It was the first chance I have had to really put my used Swaro's to the test. Biggest take away. I had no issues with eye strain. I cant say that for my Vortex razors, Nikons or Bushnell.

Jardo

WKR
I use my spotter more in the off season than I do during the hunt... I still use it during the hunt a lot, but glassing elk from the truck in the off season is where I really get to know what is in the area and which ones I’m going after when the hunt is on.

I have a kowa 883... glad I have it and have been blessed to be able to afford high quality optics. Everyone has to live within their own means and not everyone can responsibly buy the best glass. That said, the best elk hunter I know has a POS bushnel spotter and he kills big elk every year. He also wear cowboy boots and blue jeans instead of kennetrek and Sitka gear. He is successful because he learned how to hunt a long time ago and he isn’t afraid to put in the work. The key to killing big public land elk is hiking in to the deep corners and lots of off season scouting. Optics won’t help if you aren’t willing to put in the time...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Big Nasty

Lil-Rokslider
here's my opinion, You can't shoot what you can't see. I went 20 yrs thinking cheap optics did the job, until I got good optics and realized how much I was missing ! it really is a game changer for how "I" hunt. everyone HUNTS DIFFERENT so figure out what you need, but I want to see full curl rams at 2 miles instead of walking 2 miles to find out if they are or not.

BluMtn

WKR
I dont know if this will help but Ill tell you of a situation Im currently in. I bought vortex razor 10x binos and had to send them in a couple months ago because the glue on the center knob failed as well as the piece on the eyecups that goes aginst your eyes. Got them back all cleaned up and thought cool prob just some fluke thing. Nope, this last weekend on the first day of an elk hunt the rubber on the right eyecup fell off again. This made my glassing the rest of the trip a PITA because I couldnt get the proper eye relief.

What I decided is that a lifetime warranty doesnt mean crap if the product fails me in the field. I also cant send them in right now because I have hunts every weekend through mid october.

If you do want a cheaper scope thats bombproof watch ebay for a nikon ed 82 fieldscope. Its an old model but the birder community considers it better than anything from vortex and competing with the older line of swaro. The birding community is much much more critical of optics than the hunting community with a number of them into astrology/ telescopes as well.

I gave my son my razor 12x50s and he had the same problem of loosing the rubber eye cups. I built a new set for him and glued them to the housing they go on. Have not lost them yet. Tried of screwing with Vortex stuff. I have gotten rid of all my Vortex stuff.