Just ate my first Mountain House meal....

nrh6.7

WKR
Wanted to make sure I'm not going to ruin my innards on these things. Tried the chicken fajita bowl and it is pretty decent, but what do you guys add to them to make them better? This tastes like it needs salt, but the sodium amount is almost 700mg already. Maybe hot sauce???

Ranger185

FNG
I add instant cheesy mashed potatoes to every meal I eat of those. Adds a little to the taste and adds a few more calories to my needs.

twall13

WKR
I also like tortillas with that meal. And I took some sriracha sauce last time that added a bit of flavor. Pick your favorite fast food hot sauce packet and throw it in and it should add some flavor. I would never be adding salt to a Mtn. House, look for more flavor elsewhere.

bobr1

WKR
I'd say try the beef stroganoff mountain house meal. Hands down my favorite and a lot of peoples also. The chili mac and the chicken/rice are both really good also. If you end up getting more I'd recommend going to Costco they sell a 13 meal pack for $57 (in Montana) which is a pretty good deal since the main meal ones are around $8-9 and it is basically a best of kit, includes 3 each of the 3 aforementioned and 2 each of biscuits and gravy and breakfast skillet (the biscuits and gravy packs are extremely good to me). I ate MREs and Mountain House in the military and I don't even need to think about which I'd rather eat but then again the peanut butter and cheese spread were pretty good lol.

JWP58

WKR
Chicken fried rice, add chicken picante ramen noodles and flavoring.....devine.

I usually just add some cholula hot sauce

matthewmt

WKR
Turkey casserole, and breakfast skillet are good, the others mentioned from the Costco pack, biscuits and gravy, stroganoff etc are all good to me. When your eating granola/protein bars all day a hot meal at the end is hard to not like. Chick fil a hot sauce is good.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

OP
nrh6.7

nrh6.7

WKR
Thanks for all the ideas on making a MH meal a little better. Going to take some packets of hot sauce and try that out.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Starbucks has packets of sriracha...or so I've heard. Sweet and sour pork and rice is my favorite MH meal.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Definitely account for fat content. I notice a difference after eating mtn house for a week straight. Never seems like one of these meals is enough food to fuel me up.

I eat quite a few mtn house working every summer and always have an assorted variety of hot sauce on the rigs and in my pack.

Don't be surprised if you get sick of them. I definitely do and take other homemade freeze dried stuff to heat up.

I like eating them but they never fill me up and they give me the gas so bad that its pathetic.

Poser

WKR
I looked at those actually, but some of the online reviews made me wonder. Which ones do you like?

Pepper Beef and Rice
Thai Chicken and Noodles
southwestern style masa with Beef
Kung Pao Chicken

I add powdered butter to all of these for fat. Protein content is pretty good, usually 30-40 grams.

Also, the Three Berry Crumble dessert is out of this world good in the Backcountry. I add powdered butter and whey protein.

OP
nrh6.7

nrh6.7

WKR
Pepper Beef and Rice
Thai Chicken and Noodles
southwestern style masa with Beef
Kung Pao Chicken

I add powdered butter to all of these for fat. Protein content is pretty good, usually 30-40 grams.

Also, the Three Berry Crumble dessert is out of this world good in the Backcountry. I add powdered butter and whey protein.

Thanks, I'll have to give them a try. I also like the idea of powdered butter...stealing that idea for sure!